My first Stereo Setup

Harley

Hello everyone,
I am new here and a newbie to Hi Fi world. I am planning to buy a CD player, stereo amplifier and a floorstander (Pair) my budget is 40-50k. My room size is 20L x 15W (feet). I listen to Rock, Hip-Hop, Pop, Indian Classical music and sometimes bollywood music. I am thinking of Norge MOSFET Reference 2000 stereo Amplifier (12.5k) and wharfedale 9.5 floorstanders (26k). I have no clue about CD players. If you have a better amp and floorstander in mind plz suggest it along with a CDP

Thanks in advance

Regards
Chintan Dave
India, Mumbai

Wharfedale diamond is pretty much everyones choice for this kind of budget. for amp and cd
you can go for Marantz, Cambridge Audio or NAD

Your choices for CD player & Amplifier combos are

Cambridge audio 340c(CD player) & 340A Amplifier should be well within your budget

Marantz CD5001(CD player) & PM 5003/PM4001 (amplifier) not sure about the prices of these

NAD C515BEE(CD player) & C315BEE( amplifier)

For Speakers you can also consider

Mordaunt Short Avant series speakers (bookshleves & Floorstanders)

Mercury F1 Custom(bookshelves)

depending on how much you spend for the CD & amp if you can afford it do check out the Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2 which is around 27k.I am a huge fan of those speakers in fact I liked them better than the B&W 685's.:D

do audition these and you wont go wrong.I am sure others will chip in with their views as well all the best

I dint see that you have mentioned floorstander in your post if thats the case

Modaunt short Avant 906i would be good

But I would suggest you do look at these bookshelves coz at this budget you can get really good quality bookshelves.

Hello everyone,
I am new here and a newbie to Hi Fi world. I am planning to buy a CD player, stereo amplifier and a floorstander (Pair) my budget is 40-50k. My room size is 20L x 15W (feet). I listen to Rock, Hip-Hop, Pop, Indian Classical music and sometimes bollywood music. I am thinking of Norge MOSFET Reference 2000 stereo Amplifier (12.5k) and wharfedale 9.5 floorstanders (26k). I have no clue about CD players. If you have a better amp and floorstander in mind plz suggest it along with a CDP

Thanks in advance

Regards
Chintan Dave
India, Mumbai

look at the monitor audio bronze series as well for floorstanders

Diamond 9.5, MS 906i, MA BR5 - all three excellent FS. My pick would be 9.5.

Last edited:
Thanks for your valuable suggesstions guys. I will audition 906i,Mezzo 2, MA BR5 & Diamond 9.5 and then decide. What about Norge amp?? or should i consider only Marantz and NAD amps?

Regards
Chintan Dave
India, Mumbai

You should amps consider from Cambridge audio, NAD & Marantz or look for a good used amp. For the price they may have less power but may sound better than norge.
All the best.

I think i will have to increase my budget from 40k to 100k ;) I am not in a hurry to buy my stereo setup. I am considering either NAD Amp+CDP combo or Marantz Amp+CDP combo. I am considering the following:

AMPS
NAD C355BEE - 80W/channel (38.5k)
NAD C325BEE - 50W/channel (24.5k)
Marantz PM 7001/PM 7001 KI - 70W/channel (28K for 7001 I have no idea about KI model)

CDPs
NAD C525BEE (20k)
NAD C515CEE (17.2k)
Marantz CD5001 (no idea)

I have selected the above purely on my research.I will audition the amp,cdp&spkrs next month. Today i had called up THUMP (MUMBAI) and Telome Audio (MUMBAI) to inquire about Marantz PM 7001 but it is out of stock and is expected to arrive in couple of weeks. I think i will be spending approx 50-55k on the amp+cdp so I still have approx 45k for the speakers. Yesterday i came across this thread http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhancers-room-acoustics/1870-fs-bs-200-ft-room-size.html It really makes sense to go for bookshelves as my room size is small. Let me know what do you think about the NAD and Marantz amp+cdp combo. Till then i'll research on bookshelves :p

Regards
Chintan

Harley,

Between the Marantz and the NAD, it comes down purely to personal preference. I have heard both and preferred the Marantz. But then I also know people who prefer the NAD. I believe Marantz has that extra bit of detailing while still remaining warm whereas NAD adds that little bit of softness and warmth to the music.

But I would think that selection of the amp would also depend on your choice of speaker. There are specific speakers that go well with specific amps. The experts here would be able to help you better once you narrow down the choice of speakers first.

Try to narrow down on the spk b4 deciding on the amp & Cdp.
For Cd try the Marantz 6002 instead of the 5001 as it is better& diff of 5-7k AFAIK.
For the spk my choice would be the tannoy's
All the best.
Cheers

With one lakh you can do much better than the wharfedales.
1. Nad 352 or 355 bee. Try for the 352. They are all pretty much the same. You will have more money for the speakers, cables etc?
2. Look at some Usher speakers around 50k. Even one of their bigger bookshelf speakers which are below their flagship tiny dancer model is a far better speaker than any wharfedale floorstander. I have owned two wharfedale speakers in the distant past. I should know.
3. Marantz cd 5001 player around 12k.

Now if you want to approach true hi-end sound, here??s a way to do it.

Import this TVC preamp from Prometheus audio for around 350 $
Transformer Volume Control

Buy this seriously hi-end power amp here:
http://www.hifivision.com/sale/2251-acoustic-portrait-nj1-power-amplifier-2-months-old.html

Spend some 45/50k on a decent Usher speaker.

Another 12k on a Marantz cd 5001 or something like that or some used hi-end players on sale on this forum.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back