My fleet of EMT 938s

kuruvilajacob

I have landed myself with an enviable collection of 4 EMT 938 s. The first thing I did after I got them was to sell my Linn Sondeck . Not because the Linn is inferior. It needs so much care to get the best out of a Linn while the EMTs are plug and play. One of them is with the normal SME type head shell. All of them have built-in pre amplifiers for MM cartridges. I have fixed an AT 150 E cart to one of them . I was not impressed with this cart when I played it on other phono stages. But on the EMT, it really brings the best out of it. Similarly, the Shure V 15 sounded much precise with the EMT phono stage. I know some of the biggest collectors of Turntables value collecting EMT over other heavyweights like Garrard 301/401 etc. We have our own FM Anilva who is a big fan of EMTs and 3 EMTs including a EMT 950. I feel the level or standard of listening in my house has risen to a higher level after the arrival of these master pieces.

Last edited:
congrats on a big haul. are you going to keep all of them or sell 1-2 of them?
are they all in working condition?

congratulations !

looks like these 4 will take up a lot of your time in tending to and caring for them.

good luck and njoi !!

Kuruvillajacob, count me in for a visit and listen next time I am in those neck of the woods.

congrats on a big haul. are you going to keep all of them or sell 1-2 of them?
are they all in working condition?

They are all in working condition though some work needs to be done for the built-in preamps of couple of them. Also I am using them with generic head
shells at present for couple of them. Contemplating making head shells better than the original. That's my next challenge.

I have landed myself with an enviable collection of 4 EMT 938 s. The first thing I did after I got them was to sell my Linn Sondeck . Not because the Linn is inferior. It needs so much care to get the best out of a Linn while the EMTs are plug and play. One of them is with the normal SME type head shell. All of them have built-in pre amplifiers for MM cartridges. I have fixed an AT 150 E cart to one of them . I was not impressed with this cart when I played it on other phono stages. But on the EMT, it really brings the best out of it. Similarly, the Shure V 15 sounded much precise with the EMT phono stage. I know some of the biggest collectors of Turntables value collecting EMT over other heavyweights like Garrard 301/401 etc. We have our own FM Anilva who is a big fan of EMTs and 3 EMTs including a EMT 950. I feel the level or standard of listening in my house has risen to a higher level after the arrival of these master pieces.

Congratulation to this collection of EMTs. The turntables as such are really great. But the inbuilt phonostage is not up to the mark of today's technology anymore. You will certainly get better results with a modern amp. Try out a really good amp and you will hear it.

Congratulation to this collection of EMTs. The turntables as such are really great. But the inbuilt phonostage is not up to the mark of today's technology anymore. You will certainly get better results with a modern amp. Try out a really good amp and you will hear it.

You are right. But for MM circuit, the inbuilt phono stage is surprisingly good. I do have some good phono stages like EAR clone. IFI phono , Yaqin MS 12 B etc for MM. But I have used modern phono stages for MM. I am not impressed mainly because I am listen to music of the late 60's and 70's where the Mid should be prominent and with overall warmth. I have used Trigon and similar phono stages. They are good for MC, but for vintage MM, my preference is vintage.

They are all in working condition though some work needs to be done for the built-in preamps of couple of them. Also I am using them with generic head
shells at present for couple of them. Contemplating making head shells better than the original. That's my next challenge.

will be interesting to read about this challenge. do post on the same in this thread itself. also a good number of pics of the cleaning up inside out process will be appreciated. cartridge tsd15 is best but expensive. maybe one of the restorers of emt can give good advise on which way to go. good luck

Congrats. Good find. As discussed, there is a lot of work to be done on those tables, to get them to pristine condition.

As a EMT owner of few of these, I can say that anything that is do with EMT is prohibitively expensive. Every small spare is 3-4 times the normal price. This is like Rolls Royce.

BTW this is not a fit and forget machine. These are expected to be regularly maintained by trained engineers at Radio Stations and not played at home.

Cheers

Thank you Anil for reminding me EMT is not to be treated lightly. I am not sure what servicing needs to be done because even after years of not being used, it runs with accurate speed and no rumble noise at all. Does it need any lubricating. Should I download the service manual ?

The tonearm lift mechanism needs to be regularly serviced. I am not sure if the speed sync green led is turning on, otherwise speed calibration needs to be done. Please download the service manual and go through it for suggested procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speed for all turntables and for all speeds is showing green. My service guy has already checked all tonearm assembly. Sone of them needed some attention.

Today I fitted a Denon DL110 to one of the EMTs. I dare say it is as good as the DL 103 on this EMT tonearm. I feel, it is a better match than DL 103 on first listening but I may be wrong. One other plus point is that it is a high output cart and plays on both MM and MC. It sounded clean and tracked extremely well on many records

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back