My Home Theater Hunt....

The player is Sony 3100Bulray HTIB, I am using this to feed my AVR. It doesn't have a setting for BitStream.
Why the avr showing PCM? It should show TrueHD or Master audio..... Don't know what is going on.

Yes, I can feel the difference.

One more issue... AVR not able to detect video files through USB (Formatted in FAT32), it can detect flacs on that same drive.
You cannot play video files from AVR USB.. it is not supported

The player is Sony 3100Bulray HTIB, I am using this to feed my AVR. It doesn't have a setting for BitStream.
Why the avr showing PCM? It should show TrueHD or Master audio..... Don't know what is going on.

Yes, I can feel the difference.

One more issue... AVR not able to detect video files through USB (Formatted in FAT32), it can detect flacs on that same drive.

Firstly, the 3100 is a HTiB and so whatever audio decoding happens (if truly any) will be sent to the speakers section of this unit. Best possible signals in HTiB is PCM.....Dolby Digital would be a big bonus in some units.

In order to get all options, you need to invest in a proper stand alone Blu Ray player....check out Panasonic or LG or Pioneer etc.....you will find something within your budget, pre owned are available on OLX etc.

The USB port on the AVR is meant for MP3 playback including FLAC files.....the owners manual also clearly mentions what is supported and what is not supported.....there is no 100% guarantee that playback will work always even with the right formats......

Firstly, the 3100 is a HTiB and so whatever audio decoding happens (if truly any) will be sent to the speakers section of this unit. Best possible signals in HTiB is PCM.....Dolby Digital would be a big bonus in some units.
That why my AVR showing PCM.

In order to get all options, you need to invest in a proper stand alone Blu Ray player....check out Panasonic or LG or Pioneer etc.....you will find something within your budget, pre owned are available on OLX etc.
For now I have to stick with this HTIB only, but I will explore other players later.

The USB port on the AVR is meant for MP3 playback including FLAC files.....the owners manual also clearly mentions what is supported and what is not supported.....there is no 100% guarantee that playback will work always even with the right formats......
Got it.

Blu Ray disc are encoded with two audio track. One is core and second is differential. By combination of both we get lossless audio. Now your Sony HTiB unit is only able to decode core( Dolby Digital or DTS) track which is than feed to AVR in the form of PCM out. Now your AVR only decoding PCM track (digital to analog signal) , so that you are getting PCM/LPCM/M IN etc on AVR. You need to set bitstream on Sony HTiB audio output settings and your Sony HTiB HDMI port needs to compatible with lossless audio formats.

Blu Ray disc are encoded with two audio track. One is core and second is differential. By combination of both we get lossless audio. Now your Sony HTiB unit is only able to decode core( Dolby Digital or DTS) track which is than feed to AVR in the form of PCM out. Now your AVR only decoding PCM track (digital to analog signal) , so that you are getting PCM/LPCM/M IN etc on AVR. You need to set bitstream on Sony HTiB audio output settings and your Sony HTiB HDMI port needs to compatible with lossless audio formats.
Below information as per Sony manual.

x[Audio Output]
You can select the output method where the
audio signal is output.

[Speaker]: Outputs multi-channel sound
from the system’s speakers only.

[Speaker + HDMI]: Outputs multi-channel
sound from the system’s speakers and
2-channel linear PCM signals from the
HDMI (OUT) jack.

[HDMI]: Outputs sound from the HDMI
(OUT) jack only. Sound format depends on
the connected equipment.

• When [Control for HDMI] is set to [On]
(page 50), [Audio Output] is set to [Speaker +
HDMI] automatically and this setting cannot be
changed.

• When [Audio Output] is set to [HDMI], the
output signal format for the “TV” function is
2-channel linear PCM.

So does this means that if I set sound output to HDMI only then I can get TrueHD or DTS HD?
Or whatever setting change I do will get only 2-channel linear PCM.....:(

If you buy yamaha 8390 speakers ....i think that would be perfect match with AVR......sorry if am wrong

I dont have Atmos setup as I am NOT YET convinced that it is better than a Dolby Digital Plus (7.1/2) setup.

I will allow it to settle in for a couple of more years and then perhaps consider it.

Formats i use are DD DD+ and DTS.......more or less.....most content is 5.1

Play more with your Sony HTiB to explore more features and available options. May be only front L&R output is send to AVR so try with center and surround speakers connected to Sony HTIB and front speakers to AVR front L & R with mentioned HDMI output options. Lossless formats are way better than lossy compression formats. If budget permit, switch to Blu Ray player than your Sony HTiB. It may not have sufficient features to unlock the full potential of Blu Ray disc and AVR. The BA A26 is globally accailaimed but underrated speakers in India. No other speaker will have such VFM performance.

I Love BA A26, VFM - Yes.
Yesterday night I have done some changes on Sony BDV3100 and guess what? hit the bullseye. Now I am getting DTS HD and True HD on my AVR and it's working like a charm. For now I don't have to buy a Bluray player, only thing which I am missing right now is the SUB.
It's a great feeling to have a decent HT, I can feel the difference between HTIB and AVR. Getting a good dynamics, effects, dialogs are very clear.
On Sony HTIB dialogs were barely audible. I am enjoying my system now for Music and Movies.

Excellent!

Start saving and hunting for a subwoofer which meets your expectations in terms of budget, placement, performance etc.

Received A26 on Saturday, Thanks efernand1 for your suggestion.
Really great speakers, not harsh to my ears, Music listing is a pleasure on these. My room is 10" X 12" and for music listning there is no need for sub, they really go deep. Enjoying movies and music on this.
My setup pics...View attachment 29154View attachment 29155
You haven't given any gap from the rear for the A26 is it? How do they sound?

I Love BA A26, VFM - Yes.
Yesterday night I have done some changes on Sony BDV3100 and guess what? hit the bullseye. Now I am getting DTS HD and True HD on my AVR and it's working like a charm. For now I don't have to buy a Bluray player, only thing which I am missing right now is the SUB.
It's a great feeling to have a decent HT, I can feel the difference between HTIB and AVR. Getting a good dynamics, effects, dialogs are very clear.
On Sony HTIB dialogs were barely audible. I am enjoying my system now for Music and Movies.

What changes? Plz elaborate a little for us newbies

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back