My home theatre setup - Long time Dream Realised !!

Hi Venkat,

My hearty Congratulations for your HT setup.
Njoy a lot!!!

Very nice paragraph and very informative. Thanks for that.
And a help from you. Where can we get a used sub for 4k. Please PM me if you have any contacts.

Thanks
Vijay

Hey Vijay really sorry for such a late response. I had forgotten all about this thread. Visiting it today after more than 2-3 months! Well yes - the same guy from whom I got my used Yamaha RX-V459 AVR, has subwoofers and speakers as well. His stock keeps changing. Have to check with him every week or 10 days. PM me on this as I may forget!

Venkat
i have some query regarding ur tv rack. the place where u have set up the avr, is that space enough. is more gap needed for air circulation.

Hey Thomas, apologies for such a late response. Yes that space is sufficient. There is space all around the AVR so it's fine. The back panel was actually removed after they delivered the TV cabinet, as I wanted good ventilation and space to connect/disconnect cables. There were only 2 holes in the back panel, which I thought would have made it really tough for connections and troubleshooting later, if required. Luckily, the back panel was removable as I verified this with the Damro guys before ordering it.

Venkat, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your detailed post.

1. Now that a few months have passed, whats your opinion on Yamaha vs Denon vs Pioneer in terms of ease of use - considering my older parents?
2. I am considering a 40" LG LCD Theater vs LG Plasma Jazz Theater. Would LCD be brighter in your opinion? SD signal displayed well by Plasma?

Any and all suggestions are welcome folks!

Cheers!
Suhail

Hi Suhail,

Question 1 - Straight answer - go for a Yamaha AVR. I find Yamaha AVRs work much better with our kind of voltage fluctuations etc. I don't have a stabiliser. Only have one for the plasma - a V-Guard Digital 100 or something like that. My friend's Denon 1610 cuts off now and then due to small voltage fluctuations or whatever other reason. Another cousin of mine, who has a Denon 1909 (2009 model) also tells me a similar story. Basically Denons are more fussy. Also, Denons are not very easy to use. The menu options in the AVR are confusing. Do a search on the internet for Denon vs English and you will know what I mean!

Here is a good link to start you off with:

BATPIG'S DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY

Yamaha AVRs are also much easier to service. This is what my used hifi dealer tells me. He is able to sell more Yamaha AVRs compared to Sony, HK, Denon, Onkyo etc and he says he gets very negligible complaints. Yamahas are much easier to use as well. Very easy to read menu options and simple remotes. Even though my RX-V 459 is a non-HDMI model, I am very happy with the sound and ease of use. It's a lovely model.

Question 2 - So you're considering an LCD TV. Well, LCDs are definitely brighter than plasmas due to the nature of the technology. However plasmas would give you better picture quality - more natural looking pictures, skin tones etc. Only high end LCDs are able to come anywhere near plasma picture quality. And those models are priced sky high! Crazy to see 40 inch LCDs for 1.5 and 2L rupees! I got my 50 inch plasma for 59k! Yes, LCDs are higher in terms of resolution, and many are even full HD in the 40 inch size. But firstly resolution isn't everything and secondly, to enjoy full HD, you should have a bigger size screen and sit closer to make out that much of extra 1080p detail! Yes - an SD signal would be displayed much better on a plasma than an LCD. I am sure most others on this forum would agree with me on this.

Congrats Venkat!
i hv been thinking of converting one of my rooms into home theatre, and have undertaken the journey of building one right from scratch, including building up my knowledge which is presently close to zero. Like you, i think, i will post regularly the progress that i am making thru pics.
Enjoy and good luck

Hey Sekar,

Yes please do! It's a great journey - the home theatre one, and you will enjoy it every step of the way. This forum is a great place to pick up the knowledge you need. Also check out other forums on the internet - other a/v forums to learn what's happening outside India on the a/v front. It is very interesting.

---Venkat

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back