My humble pie

Hi Ali,

Great work and thanks for sharing the pics. Attention to details and the effort is really really laudable.

Question: Can you kindly describe the difference to the sound with and without those excellent stands of yours?

I feel very nostalgic seeing your Nad c325bee and the boxpack.

I may contact you on a good power supply and a cabinet (that is not too expensive) for an all-purpose home PC (our old one is almost 5 years old). I have settled for the moment with the AMD Phenom 3x processor and the Asus M3N78 mobo. Or should we consider a 790G based Gigabyte board? Do we need a separate dedicated graphics card with this? I have many many questions and I know there are many many experts in this forum, just mumblig aloud. I have to start somewhere. May be in a different thread.

Regards.

@magma,budgets not the prob,just allocation of the same as things stand has taken a back seat:mad:.no worries,have it all planned.will be letting u knw,soon hopefully.cheers

yes rahul

they are the same stands!

i might build another set though and get rid of these
i realised i like listening to music while sitting/slouching on the floor ( indian sitting) rather than the couch - so now i gotta build shorter stands!
Yeah, A good carpet and some silicone-ised cushin's will go way farther than expensive furniture costing 10 times more in bringing comfort. :)

BTW you will still need to maintain a minimum height for the stands to avoid reflections unless you have a heavy carpet right under the speakers.

Cheers

rahul
actaully i realised the carpet is causing problems

I would like all memebers to note this
if the spikes of the stands dont pierce the carpet ( or as my mum says "ruin it") you will not have a stable stand at all
if you check and actaully try to shake the top of the stand yu will see it will wobble ( my stands weighs 14kgs filled - it still wobbled on the carpet)

the same stand when placed directly onto a marbled/tiled floor stayed firm and true

Hence i advice to put the stands directly onto the floor if like me " ruining " the carpet is not an option!

Alternatively you can also have a really heavy piece of metal say a one sq foot and 1 inch thick MS plate on the carpet and then rest the spikes on that base
(note : the base needs to be reaaly really heavy maybe even in excess of 15kgs to make sure there is no wobbling )

Asit
i have a very surprising thing to report
the speakers do sound good on the stands BUT incredibly they sound better when i place them directly on the floor! ( this does sound crazy) but im trying to figure out whether im just hearing things or if it really is true

comparision between
speaker on floor and listener seated on the floor(speaker actaully not diectly on the floor but on the spiked granite BASE of the stands) VS speakers on stands and myself seated on the couch

Also
About your PC
the processor and mothermoard you currently have are excellent
you would never need an upgrade on that
No graphics card reqqd on that
to put you worries at rest let me tell you one of the music PC's ive built only has a 1.7ghz P4 with an intel 845 mobo and it stil does the job superbly

for music PC and HTPC use the setup you have is more than reqd

Last edited:
rahul
actaully i realised the carpet is causing problems

I would like all memebers to note this
if the spikes of the stands dont pierce the carpet ( or as my mum says "ruin it") you will not have a stable stand at all
if you check and actaully try to shake the top of the stand yu will see it will wobble ( my stands weighs 14kgs filled - it still wobbled on the carpet)

the same stand when placed directly onto a marbled/tiled floor stayed firm and true

Hence i advice to put the stands directly onto the floor if like me " ruining " the carpet is not an option!

For carpet you need true spikes. Lets rename your spikes into studs to differentiate. :)

My point was the reflections from floor will be minimized with heavy carpet and low position for speaker.

cheers

For carpet you need true spikes. Lets rename your spikes into studs to differentiate. :)

cheers

i didnt understand?

my studs/spikes are capable of penetrating the carpet, however my family wont allow it

what are true spikes?

i didnt understand?

my studs/spikes are capable of penetrating the carpet, however my family wont allow it

what are true spikes?

I thought you had the blunt edged ones - the studs. Putting a heavy surface at the base and mounting the stand with spikes on them should do I guess, like you mentioned.

cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back