My hunt for a stereo amp - exploration notes and advice sought..

MA5200_Angle_Left.jpg

Macintosh Ma5200 integrated amp - with Dac, MM phono and headphone out and power output rated at 100 W at 8 ohms

Have a decent offer from the local dealer for this amp. It will mean stretching my budget quite a bit, but is it worth it? Any opinions on this amp? Any opinions on the combination of this with the Harbeths? (I can't audition them)

This is an all-in-one beauty and is also a lifestyle product. Should I bite the bullet?
Mac sound can be judged from umpteen reviews.lf you like the house sound ,this may just last you a lifetime.as to harbeth with mac , no idea.of course i havnt heard a mcintosh .my response is especially wrt the six moons review of the 5200 where it has been compared with the denon pma2000 which i have owned for the last 8 years.
Cheers

Last edited:
McIntosh if I put it correctly is plain "bakwas" these days. Look for Accuphase E260/E470 if you want sound that's worth the money and then that epic quality which McIntosh just won't be able to match. Before biting the bullet do audition the Mc,Accu & Leben. It's something you won't change atleast for the next 5 years + , hence.

Usher R1.5 is a gem of an amp but only if you likea little dark, warm and rich sound signature with dynamics and bass slam to die for. The Usher R 1.5 is very very powerful will drive difficult Duntechs to Apogee Scintillas without breaking a sweat in mono or stereo configs. But is no more available to buy. It really has a sound that will let you connect to your music emotionally or move you to tears kinda sound.

But OP has Harbeths hence for him Leben is the sweetest of match which are easy to drive. If I was in his place I would have let the MC go, it's only the name now mc is no more what it used to be.

Eddie,

You need to give the SHL5s more quality in terms of amplification than what you are looking at right now. Other FMs have given you the hint already. None of the amps you have mentioned in your OP, save the Trigons, will do justice to what the SHL5s can deliver. Going with any of the other amps mentioned will leave you neither here nor there.

The Lebens are the prescribed pairing for Harbeth for a reason. With a little patience - and maybe some prudent saving - you could probably get there in terms of budget in time. Don't rush into this.

Square_wave has given you a recommendation which you might not have appreciated. Do look up the Croft Integrated for something that will be in our budget and is a hidden gem in the audio world. Don't let the simple website fool you. Croft products are very musical and will surprise you. There is a Croft pairing with a Harbeth 40.1 in Bangalore that will be worth your while to listen to.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited:
Well, thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. I am sure there are a lot of amps waiting out there that may or may not be better than the discussed names here in this thread. And, of course, there are the factors of subjectivity, availability, effort and personality in the choices or the pursuit of these choices, making the options limited to a personal degree.

So, in the end, all round better sense prevailed and I decided to go ahead with my first choice of the new Trigon integrated amp (Exceed).

Some of the factors that weighed in on this choice were: A good brand name, proven models, adequately well powered (120W at 8 ohms and dual mono design), new model placed in the safe middle berth of the range, a 3 year support for a brand new piece, local and easily approachable support, an internal DAC (which will surely be better than my current Nuforce basic one) and a decent resale value.

However, the stronger driving factors in this decision were:

a) The elasticity of my initial budget plan was being stretched to a fracture point, sure to snap due to the load on it, if not due to the tension the accounting book was inflicting on my wife. . When the budget becomes 3.5 times the initial limit, eyebrows tend to raise. I had to heed the signs.

b) The person selling this brand, was someone I felt very comfortable dealing with: straightforward yet understanding, helpful, not pushy and knowledgeable. This was perhaps the strongest reason I chose Trigon (good pricing also).

So, I have booked it and am eagerly awaiting the amp. Hope it works out.
Wish me luck and thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted on how it works out for me.

Well, thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys. I am sure there are a lot of amps waiting out there that may or may not be better than the discussed names here in this thread. And, of course, there are the factors of subjectivity, availability, effort and personality in the choices or the pursuit of these choices, making the options limited to a personal degree.

So, in the end, all round better sense prevailed and I decided to go ahead with my first choice of the new Trigon integrated amp (Exceed).

Some of the factors that weighed in on this choice were: A good brand name, proven models, adequately well powered (120W at 8 ohms and dual mono design), new model placed in the safe middle berth of the range, a 3 year support for a brand new piece, local and easily approachable support, an internal DAC (which will surely be better than my current Nuforce basic one) and a decent resale value.

However, the stronger driving factors in this decision were:

a) The elasticity of my initial budget plan was being stretched to a fracture point, sure to snap due to the load on it, if not due to the tension the accounting book was inflicting on my wife. . When the budget becomes 3.5 times the initial limit, eyebrows tend to raise. I had to heed the signs.

b) The person selling this brand, was someone I felt very comfortable dealing with: straightforward yet understanding, helpful, not pushy and knowledgeable. This was perhaps the strongest reason I chose Trigon (good pricing also).

So, I have booked it and am eagerly awaiting the amp. Hope it works out.
Wish me luck and thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted on how it works out for me.

Congrats Eddie..

Am sure you will enjoy.

Post pics when ready.

Bring on the beers !!

Regards

Have been following the discussion closely , very apt decision indeed. Thanks to everyone who contributed.
Congratulations Eddie for a smart choice.

Hifi dealers should work towards building a faith with the intended audience instead of resorting to gimmicks or by employing less knowledgeable guys pushing certain products.

@Aanuj thanks for a very valuable and decisive inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good decision. Have heard Trigon amps at Jochen's place a while back. Lovely gear at correct prices and a gem of a guy as the dealer.
All boxes ticked :)

congrats eddie. at long last your hunt is over. do post pics once the amps arrive. do pay attention to cables as well.

MA5200_Angle_Left.jpg

Macintosh Ma5200 integrated amp - with Dac, MM phono and headphone out and power output rated at 100 W at 8 ohms

Have a decent offer from the local dealer for this amp. It will mean stretching my budget quite a bit, but is it worth it? Any opinions on this amp? Any opinions on the combination of this with the Harbeths? (I can't audition them)

This is an all-in-one beauty and is also a lifestyle product. Should I bite the bullet?

If you are looking at warmer sound you should go for the Accuphase Pre C2120 and Power P4200 combo or Integrated E470.

In Mumbai, I know a place where you can get a good deal.

EnvyRao
Mumbai
Linn M109 Aktiv, Linn M-I, Linn M4100, Linn-MLP12, Linn M-DS, Linn Silver IC, CHAKT74-75-76, QNAP212P

If you are looking at warmer sound you should go for the Accuphase Pre C2120 and Power P4200 combo or Integrated E470.

In Mumbai, I know a place where you can get a good deal.

EnvyRao
Mumbai
Linn M109 Aktiv, Linn M-I, Linn M4100, Linn-MLP12, Linn M-DS, Linn Silver IC, CHAKT74-75-76, QNAP212P

Hi Mr. Rao,

Thanks for the tip. I have finalized and ordered a new amp already. Accuphase.. maybe a few years later. Ta!

Ed

Congratulations.Just one thing, I don't see this amp listed on Trigon Audio's website. am i missing something?

Congratulations.Just one thing, I don't see this amp listed on Trigon Audio's website. am i missing something?

This is a new model, from a new line of amps, due for public release anytime now (not sure if they have started showcasing it in exhibitions, meets, forums etc., already). This is possibly why it has not been posted on their website yet.

Some of us on the mailing list of the dealer got an update about this new line and that is how I ordered it. Pm me if you want me to forward you the details

Congrats eddie_fox. Trigons are great amplifiers. If I was not looking at the Rethm Bhaava, there was no reason for me to put them up for sale.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back