My Journey into Digital with AP Thyaga DAC

Hi Vijwilso,

The AP DAC has been in place for some time now and I think I have it dialed in to some extent although I have some weak links in the chain which are due for changes soon. But yes in terms of the capabilities of the DAC, let's put it this way - the AP DAC has been like a very patient teacher dealing with a slow student (me).

As I have said earlier the DAC patiently showed me the shortcomings of using iTunes + AppleTV (which I resorted to for sending my music over wifi). Initially I had been happy with the sound until better ears than mine showed me the flaws as well. I've now got an old laptop running JRiver 19 feeding the DAC. Huge difference in sound quality over iTunes + AppleTV. This is an old WinXP laptop on which I still have some valuable data which I did not want to scrub so I just created another profile and optimized the hardware settings for audio. This has been running for some time now.

What this means is that I am still using the old ASIO protocol. When I do change over to Win 7/8 I will be able to use WASAPI which promises to give some further improvement. However only hearing will tell as ASIO (technically) passes on bit perfect data.

For the past few months I've left the Upsampling Switch ON - just lazy to keep changing that switch. Overall the sound is great however purists may frown.

If someone were to ask about the strengths of this DAC, I would say it would be Dynamic Range. I've heard a few DACs now and I can say that this is comparable to some very good DACs out there. In my previous posts I mentioned how this DAC elevated my mid-fi TX 8050. As a source this is a very high quality component.

Hope this was useful ...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back