My Journey into Digital with AP Thyaga DAC

Nikhil

Staff member
I picked up the AP Thiyaga DAC a couple of months ago and I have been tumbling down the rabbit hole of digital audio since. Not for any fault of the DAC itself - which has been stellar - but more due to my existing computer setup and limitations. My PC sits on the other side of the room from my stereo rig. This necessitates transfer over wifi since I didn't want to bother with running a CAT cable through the power line ducts.

My first solution was via AppleTV which also meant using iTunes. This was of course a compromise but most would still be happy with the quality of the sound. The AppleTV connection to the AP DAC is via optical Toslink. While good, the sound didn't top my existing CD setup. The iTunes + AppleTV combo slightly smudged the sound a touch. Who would have thought that my humble CD player connected via RCA jacks was pretty good in the first place?

My next step was a two PC setup with my old laptop running WinXP + JRiver19 doing duty as the "Audio PC" - connected directly to the DAC via async USB. My PC (Win7 + JRiver19) now works as the "Control PC" with JRiver doing the work of Media Server and media network. Connection over wifi is seamless thanks to JRiver. The sound quality in this setup is simply much better - much more relaxed and easier on the ears. OS Upgrade is on the cards.

Through all this the AP DAC has been quite solid. It didn't gloss over or embellish the sound when I tried different combinations. It has simply rendered out what was coming in. The synergy with my existing AP gear was apparent from day one but it has been the DAC which has been telling me all along if anything didn't sound right. The coax inputs (SPDIF and TosLink) are limited to 24/96 while the USB port goes up to 24/192. Noticeable difference when you switch to the USB port. The DAC has an upsamplng switch on the rear to turn off/on upsampling for inputs via USB only. I have found this feature to be a matter of preference - I like to leave it on.

Its hard for me to describe more about the DAC because its the only DAC I have ever used. Will have more to comment on after perhaps later on down the road. I would be very interested to hear from others who have the AP DAC to chip in with anything that might help me along. All inputs will be appreciated.

For those who may be wondering what was the most significant change since adding the DAC to my setup:

1. Explosive convenience of computer storage and media handling. I have a rapidly growing collection of music that keeps getting better thanks to convenience of the internet (or the cloud as its called nowadays).

2. High Res matters - I was quite content with 320 Kbps mp3s until I heard the difference with lossless. Typically low res files are compressed and made loud to pop out at you. Lossless in comparison has more Dynamic Range. The sound is less loud but doesn't compress as you turn up the volume. Depending on the original source there's a lot of low level detail and clean transients. As a result I don't go near the volume control much.

All in all my journey into digital has not been as straight forward as I thought it would be. I still haven't got to the bottom of this thing yet as there are quite a few things left for me to tryout. OS upgrades, software upgrades and optimizers, etc are on the horizon. Depending on your point of view, this could either be daunting or extremely exciting.

Thanks for reading ... look forward to exchange views with everyone here.

Thanks Naturelover. Not really into Apple for my audio.
I am using Win 7 PC with JRiver19 doing media duty.

I thought AP was made in India? why should Forex fluctuation impact this? for the DAC chip and CAPs?:confused:

Yes it is an Indian brand but components are from abroad. Not sure which parts but these were Siva's words when I talked to him a few months ago.
Prompted me to go for the DAC before it went up.

Congrats, Nikhil!

I had heard a lot about the sound quality of the AP DAC, but for what you've written, it looks like it is quite feature-rich too!

Many of the HiRes releases (HDTracks/Linn) will blow your mind further! :)

Thanks hydra

I haven't mentioned the specs of the DAC as I had thought the information is available online. Here is the link to the Acoustic Portrait website:

Acoustic Portrait - Thiyaga Digital to Analogue Convertor

Yes the DAC can be set to Non Oversampling mode if you wish.
But this applies only to input via the Async USB.
The source file plays a big role in what the sound is like with it switched on.

Of course with high res you have the option of turning it off.

Last edited:
Thanks killerbrain. How long ago was it?
What kind of music do you listen to?

Last edited:
Hi Nikhil,

As you already know I have been happily using this DAC for more than a year and had few chances to compare this DAC with very exotic CD players costing many folds at Siva's place long before I bought this. Obviously this one was a winner!

Mostly I play through computer- USB (foobar, wasapi out) use my iPhone (MonkeyMote) as remote mainly for track selection. I will definitely will gp with JPlay 2 PC set-up in the future. Thanks Bhagwan for his advise on PC configuration.

Regards
Venu

Thanks killerbrain. How long ago was it?
What kind of music do you listen to?

Nikhil ,

I remember it was couple of months ago.

It was for > 4 hours i think , I was the first one to listen to AP integrated which i liked and paired lot better with my Spenders . we played all the genres , Jazz , Live , Rock , Rahman , Illayaraja .

I also carried my amplifier with me , and the tracks i am familiar with . I was able to immediately see the improvement in the SQ with the AP DAC with my AMP+Speakers , though I did not focus much on the DAC .

I may actually pick the integrated AMP , just exploring other options , did not get time to listen other options and conclude on it .

It had been a very pleasant experience interacting with Siva

Got very busy with the project release priorities , missed to write up on it .

Regards

Hi Killerbrain,

Great to hear of your experience with the AP Integrated. I did not know that Siva has an Integrated on offer. Interesting that you noticed a difference with the DAC and your amp. In my case the DAC has simply slotted in along with my pre power and has been singing what I guess is "true to the source" - not really adding to the music as much as showing what the source is.

Of course I had a long journey with learning how media file resolution and transfer over wifi etc. Each affecting the sound in its own way.

Agree , tweaking the computer transport is not easy. May be you can borrow some ideas from Siva , or the same software he uses to play, which was also integrated with the smartphone app

Killerbrain, getting the computer transport right has a lot more wrinkles than I thought.
What is the amp that you took with you to AP?

Good luck with your amp search. You are in good hands with Siva.

Had a minor accident today as I was trying to do some Christmas cleaning on my Preamplifier. End result AP Pre Power out and Onkyo TX 8050 in. Talk about a difference in sound. Spent the whole afternoon a little miserable. After making a few calls and getting some plans in place to get the preamp fixed I started looking at tweaking the setup to get somewhere near the sound I am used to now.

Realized that I was missing the slam and authority of the AP. Not only that the TX 8050 has nowhere near the control of the AP amps on the speaker drivers. Made some quick adjustments on the DSP controls in JRiver MC 19 - set the speaker crossover to cut off the LF at 80Hz. Next thing to do was to turn up the volume on the TX 8050 to get some grunt behind the drivers.

And ... sweet! Not the same as the AP setup of course but very listenable indeed. The AP DAC again serving out the signal to the TX 8050 has made it sound in a different league than its supposed to.

Small steps ... but somewhat happier than with no music at all.

Nikhil

Have you been able to set it up to your satisfactory level ? . Please share your experience and info on the SW/HW for the AP DAC .

Regards

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back