My Lenco L75 Master Turntable Build

Wondering if anyone has tried an intermediate vertically laminated layer.
It might address the drawbacks of a viscoelastic layer

laminated_bamboo_platform.jpg

Wondering if anyone has tried an intermediate vertically laminated layer.
It might address the drawbacks of a viscoelastic layer

laminated_bamboo_platform.jpg

But quad, this laminated board defeats the very argument made by cat's squirrel. He had made a case for using visco-elastic substances, not the other way around! The laminated board, by his reasoning, will mean multiple resonance frequencies and multiple damping factors of different laminates. :)

But quad, this laminated board defeats the very argument made by cat's squirrel. He had made a case for using visco-elastic substances, not the other way around! The laminated board, by his reasoning, will mean multiple resonance frequencies and multiple damping factors of different laminates. :)

Quoted below -

I would not make a plinth by sandwiching a viscoelastic layer between two pieces of wood, in that case, it is wrong to support the lower layer while connecting the turntable to the upper layer, as the viscoelastic layer will de-couple the lower layer.

That was only in reply to my query. Please refer to his first post in this connection and his comments on CLD!

again, you are making this up.

All I have done is describe what true (non-hifi non-mystic) cld is. I have never advocated using a viscoelastic sandwich with wooden 'bread'. When many layers are coupled together (move as one), a 'new' material is born, which will have its own set of resonances and a new damping factor value. The individual materials do not keep their original values.

A viscoelastic layer is not a drawback, it is vital in cld. What maybe a drawback is the choice of using cld in the first place. Horses for courses!!!

Last edited:
again, you are making this up.

All I have done is describe what true (non-hifi non-mystic) cld is. I have never advocated using a viscoelastic sandwich with wooden 'bread'. When many layers are coupled together (move as one), a 'new' material is born, which will have its own set of resonances and a new damping factor value. The individual materials do not keep their original values.

A viscoelastic layer is not a drawback, it is vital in cld. What maybe a drawback is the choice of using cld in the first place. Horses for courses!!!

By the very reasoning that you used in your first two posts, you had suggested using a visco-elastic material as a CLD, but please keep in mind that the entire thread had discussed the use of wood in the first place, so all you reasoning will naturally continue in the same vein. You had not suggested the use of any material in any of your post but you had implied that African, S.American or Australian hardwood were your first choices. So what am I supposed to understand by that? Even quad followed the same line of thinking when he suggested a laminated board!

Please go back and read your own posts instead of repeating that I had made it all up. I also want to inform you that I am not a 35 year old guy as my handle would suggest but a much older man in full grasp of his faculties. I'm not arguing for the sake of it but am merely asking for some lucid and logical answers from you. But you sound evasive at most times. Either that or you are not reading my posts fully. This is a forum for discussions and I joined it for just that - so that I could gain some knowledge in matters that I'm curious about. So far it hasn't happened with you. It's either that or you are unwilling to share your knowledge with others. Which will be a great pity!!

Last edited:
This is a forum for hobbyists, not a scientific based site. The contents should be a6t a level that all can understand, but scientifically sound. Information is to be shared by all, for the good of all.

If you want to go into any of the things I have mentioned in depth, I suggest you do so on another forum, and keep this one clear for the benefit of all.

I am not trying to be evasive, but I do try to make what I am discussing understandable. It is apparent (to me, at least) that most forums contain many myths and legends, and it is very difficult for many to sort it out. cld is one of them. Mass damping is another.

If you really want to go into deep understanding of the subject, I suggest you do a lot of reading, as I have had to do. It's all there! Just Google 'damping, mass and stiffness'.

HTH

Gentlemen, we have seriously gone Off Topic on Reuben's thread.

Lots of interesting topics are being discussed, but all the same they litter this thread unnecessarily. Let's get this thread back on track.

May I suggest that interested parties create a new thread to discuss and understand further what Cat's Squirrel has kindly introduced to the forum.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Gentlemen, we have seriously gone Off Topic on Reuben's thread.

Lots of interesting topics are being discussed, but all the same they litter this thread unnecessarily. Let's get this thread back on track.

May I suggest that interested parties create a new thread to discuss and understand further what Cat's Squirrel has kindly introduced to the forum.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Well, I think a lot of great info is being shared across these discussions but would be great is we can have these consolidated in one single thread so easy reference.

I had pinged the mods Today morning to branch off these technical posts into a separate thread. Hope it would be done.

Thanks captain, was wondering as the info being shared is extremely valuable. More will have access to it if its on a dedicated thread.

On another note, I got some queries asking whether I am planning to sell the Lenco L75 after the Garrard accquisition. The answer is a big "NO". I need the Lenco as well as I am planning 2 turntables for listening. The Lenco has the 16rpm speed which I need. Plan to move the Technics DD (my work horse) to my brother's place after the idler builds are over.

a good 401 project:

Montesquieu's 401 project - a set on Flickr

and finally!!

Sir Garrard 401 makes a grand entrance, at his new home today...what a moment, the very first time I've held my very own Garrard 401 turntable. Could not just help but admire it for a long time, its spotless, even for its age. Here goes....

DSC06955_zps071affb6.jpg

DSC06944_zps7f02d9f5.jpg

DSC06945_zps9d2b4aaf.jpg

DSC06946_zps989a3e54.jpg

DSC06950_zpsaf5ba73d.jpg

DSC06951_zpsa7053e54.jpg

DSC06948_zps73dd96c9.jpg

DSC06947_zps9d986579.jpg

DSC06949_zps7ff253ed.jpg

DSC06953_zps97b5c052.jpg

DSC06952_zps27198782.jpg

Noticed that the original owner had 2 removable rubber rings slipped on the side of the platter. Any idea what this is for?

found some info on the platter dampening rings (that's what they are called):

http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/21203-platter-damping-rings.html

Platter Damping rings

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Sir Garrard to his new loving home.

The rubber rings are used to add some mass to the platter. It will stop the platter from any ringing. A very famous tweak for the 401. You can keep adding more till you feel the ringing is completely silent.

Hi Reubensm

Fabulous. Looks stunning. I am sure it will provide you years of unmatched musical satisfaction

Yes, it looks spotless, not a single paint-scratch or blemish. All the sliver borders/edging and lettering looks shiney, like new. The original owner was an elderly gentleman who had 2 401s, owned from new, so I am the second owner. I'd seen a few others but not in this condition. Is the next stop the 301? Not sure at this point. I've got 2 plinth builds for the 401 and L75 coming up, and of course, a visit to Mr. Kuruvila's place later this month.

Never before has an audio purchase ment so much for our family. We used see a lot of pictures of the 301 and 401 at home, in scrap books and magazines owned by Dad, but he could never buy one (or afford one) in his life time. So when Sir Garrard 401 did the rounds past awe-struck family members last night, it was an occassion to remember the late old man too and talk about his regard for these Garrard turntables.

and finally!!

Sir Garrard 401 makes a grand entrance, at his new home today...what a moment, the very first time I've held my very own Garrard 401 turntable. Could not just help but admire it for a long time, its spotless, even for its age. Here goes....

My my, cant help looking at the pics again and again. Its in superb nick I must admit! Perfect in its original condition. Just shows how these beauties are respected and taken care of in their homeland.

These beauties have a lot to admire. I spent a few days as well just admiring the 401 :).

Reuben - Time for you a start a new thread on the 401 build and keep this thread specifically for the L75.

My my, cant help looking at the pics again and again. Its in superb nick I must admit! Perfect in its original condition. Just shows how these beauties are respected and taken care of in their homeland.

These beauties have a lot to admire. I spent a few days as well just admiring the 401 :).

Reuben - Time for you a start a new thread on the 401 build and keep this thread specifically for the L75.

yes indeed, noted.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back