My Marantz PM 6005 and Sonodyne 2605 story

Don't worry. Try getting your money back if your efforts to improve the sound yield no result. If you don't succeed in that, offer the 2605 V3s as a gift to those who like their sound. May be you can do that on this forum. Tellapur is too far for me to drive down. Therefore, I will wait for your email in order to communicate what I wanted to communicate to you.

Pmed you the serials. Dunno how that will help. What did the technician say?? Could he identify the bass presence??

Thanks man. PMed.

I played Abida Parveen to the tech and he could not bear to listen to it. The lack of bass and mids is very very obvious.

The tech suggested that I introduce a sub woofer in my setup. No Sir. Thank you.

Rabepobemababe :sad: But yeah that is along the lines of what I am thinking. My ears are ringing - about 15 hrs later - after listening to GnR on them for about half an hour at my usual low listening vol.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Thanks man. PMed.

I played Abida Parveen to the tech and he could not bear to listen to it. The lack of bass and mids is very very obvious.

The tech suggested that I introduce a sub woofer in my setup. No Sir. Thank you.

Rabepobemababe :sad: But yeah that is along the lines of what I am thinking. My ears are ringing - about 15 hrs later - after listening to GnR on them for about half an hour at my usual low listening vol.

ciao
gr

mids and mid-bass is not what i am worried about as it will open up with time however the low end completely getting vanished is the worry.

trying another AMP with the speakers will clear the air. if its the speakers which we are abusing or the amplification.

@sound_cycle would you wanna bring the speakers to my place sometime to try out with multiple amps i have or vice-versa. what would you suggest..

will be more than happy to help and isolate the issue and resolve it..

Thanks a huge pile man!

Could we try out in this sequence

the WD TV and the PM 6005 with your speakers at your place, then if we feel it necessary your amps with my speakers and lug the speakers over to your pad as an absolute last resort. They will barely fit in my car and I will have to figure out some other solution and therefore the reulctance !

ciao
gr

Thanks a huge pile man!

Could we try out in this sequence

the WD TV and the PM 6005 with your speakers at your place, then if we feel it necessary your amps with my speakers and lug the speakers over to your pad as an absolute last resort. They will barely fit in my car and I will have to figure out some other solution and therefore the reulctance !

ciao
gr

sure .. this can be done as suggested. will try it out over the weekend..

will try it out over the weekend..

Allan Taylor sounded so good !

As did "Hey you", Sayonee. Amazing Grace on double bass did things to me.

We listened to Colors of the Moon over a NAD amp first.

And then wired up my WD Tv live with its SSD to my PM 6005 over my optical cable and output to his speakers.

There was a problem. I had goofed and let my remote at home :eek:

Fortunately there was a work around and I did not have to drive back without a listen.

We did not make out startlingly obvious difference with his NAD amp.

We thought that the DAC on the 7005 presented a wider sound stage in comparison to his ODAC. Somewhat clearer maybe. But we did not note any change in the tone of Allan Taylor's voice.

The conclusion is clear. My stuff works just fine.

One track which was disappointing at home was quite as bad at his place. This was "The Winner Takes it All". Agnetha Fltskog sounded much nicer, at home it is a track that makes me want to cover my ears with a pillow or something. The complaint is about the quality of the m4a I purchased from itunes.

And I also learnt that the amp connectors accept banana plugs :)

Thanks very much Aman for having me over. That's a nice set up you have. And it showed me what I am missing in my listening.

ciao
gr

May be the "color to the moon" is very Audiophile that everything sounds very Audiophile :) . Another one to check is the "Chris Jones - Roadhouses & Automobiles Album'- It sounds sweet in all systems

Allan Taylor sounded so good !

As did "Hey you", Sayonee. Amazing Grace on double bass did things to me.

We listened to Colors of the Moon over a NAD amp first.

And then wired up my WD Tv live with its SSD to my PM 6005 over my optical cable and output to his speakers.

There was a problem. I had goofed and let my remote at home :eek:

Fortunately there was a work around and I did not have to drive back without a listen.

We did not make out startlingly obvious difference with his NAD amp.

We thought that the DAC on the 7005 presented a wider sound stage in comparison to his ODAC. Somewhat clearer maybe. But we did not note any change in the tone of Allan Taylor's voice.

The conclusion is clear. My stuff works just fine.

One track which was disappointing at home was quite as bad at his place. This was "The Winner Takes it All". Agnetha Fltskog sounded much nicer, at home it is a track that makes me want to cover my ears with a pillow or something. The complaint is about the quality of the m4a I purchased from itunes.

And I also learnt that the amp connectors accept banana plugs :)

Thanks very much Aman for having me over. That's a nice set up you have. And it showed me what I am missing in my listening.

ciao
gr

So, the primary objective.. Did you figure out what the issue is with the sound??

NAD C325 should drive the Sonus 2605 very easily..... So is it the amp that makes the change?

Then the PM 6005 should too !

The NAD C325 is a 2 x 50W amp. The PM 7005 is a 2 x 45 W amp. On that parameter they are very similar.

Neither would be "under powered" "for the 2605". Like you have pointed out the drivers are the same as in the 1501 and the 2504. The 2605 can played be a little louder though.

There are potential consequences - distortion or damage (ie melted tweeters). However, not a concern really as I listen at fairly moderate volumes. The 2605 manual BTW says the same thing.

Today's test session was to ensure that something in my chain was not causing the lack of mids and bass from my 2605s. We were not really comparing amps. Just ensuring that mine was not starkly different.

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Back