My neutral to ground socket has 42V and so my marantz stereo amp has voltage on body

sand87ch

Hi All,

This time i had verified my Marantz PM6007 before purchase to confirm if it has any voltage on body. It didn't exist at the shop. At home too it didn't initially.
But yesterday I received a mild shock while i was adjusting the volume when my finger brushed with some metal part underneath the volume control somewhere.

I took a tester initially and to my surprise it was glowing while touching the screws and the vents on the body. I went ahead and used my multimeters(Analog and digital).I measured the socket into which i had connected my amp via a vguard crystal plus stab.

My test was as below(on analog multimeter):-

neutral-phase - 225V AC
phase-ground - 245V AC
Ground-neutral-42V AC

My test was as below(on digital multimeter):-

neutral-phase - 225V AC
phase-ground - 253V AC
Ground-neutral-42V AC

My query:-

1.Is there any device that can be connected which can resolve this, other than grounding it via the ground pin?
2.If I don't ground it wat can happen to the device?

Please note previously last year when i had measured the neutral was at a perfect zero volt.

Last edited:
Hi All,

This time i had verified my Marantz PM6007 before purchase to confirm if it has any voltage on body. It didn't exist at the shop. At home too it didn't initially.
But yesterday I received a mild shock while i was adjusting the volume when my finger brushed with some metal part underneath the volume control somewhere.

I took a tester initially and to my surprise it was glowing while touching the screws and the vents on the body. I went ahead and used my multimeters(Analog and digital).I measured the socket into which i had connected my amp via a vguard crystal plus stab.

My test was as below(on analog multimeter):-

neutral-phase - 225V AC
phase-ground - 245V AC
Ground-neutral-42V AC

My test was as below(on digital multimeter):-

neutral-phase - 225V AC
phase-ground - 253V AC
Ground-neutral-42V AC

My query:-

1.Is there any device that can be connected which can resolve this, other than grounding it via the ground pin?
2.If I don't ground it wat can happen to the device?

Please note previously last year when i had measured the neutral was at a perfect zero volt.
So what was the issue and has it been fixed?

Back