My new 7.1 setup experience- denon 1910 + mission

sanjaybk

Hi all,

I had been using a Sony mhc gn100d Mini hifi / htib system for 5 years along with space subwoofer avs 100. I had some money to spare :eek:hyeah: and after discussion with my better half we decided to go for an upgrade. Budget set was around 70K.

After extensive research spent on the net spread around 2 months, thanks to this forum ,and innumerable auditions of avrs- denon, yamaha and marantz, speakers - wharfedale, canton , polk, mission, tannoy etc we finally bit the bullet and bought the following 7.1 setup from music ranch bangalore.

Denon 1910 - 39K
Mission M32i - Fronts - 12.5 K
Mission M30i - surrounds (4 nos )
Mission M3c1i - Center
Cables - 2K

The center and the 4 surrounds came as a cinema package and cost me 16K

My wife acompanied me to all the auditions and participated whole heartedly in the demos !

week 1 : hooked up the system with my 7 yr old pioneer dvd player dv-5310kd and performed manual setup. The movie experience was very good but audio exp was so so..

week 2 : fiddled a lot with the 1910 audio controls, tried 2ch stereo, 5ch stereo, direct mode, pure direct mode etc but was not satisfied with audio exp. So performed audessey setup and tried again but was still not satisfied. Suspected the old pio was the weakest link.

week 3: Then it was back to the forum to buy a new dvd player. research and research , read reviews ..

week 4 : Finally decided that pioneer 610 would be a good bet for my needs but this model was not available anywhere. Waited for 2 to 3 weeks and contacted various dealers in bangalore but to no avail.

After lot of thought decided that I needed to increase my budget to buy a good dvd player that was also very good on audio. In some of the threads I came across dvd players denon 1740 and CA dvd 99. Took audition of dvd 99 and was bowled over the audio and video playback.
Bought this from audio planet koramangala for 12.5K.

Setup the new dvd player and WOW ! what a drastic improvement in the sound and picture quality ! I am completely satisfied with my setup now.

CD playback as well as movie watching is a pleasure now.

A big thanks to this forum and its various members !!

Hi sanjay,
Congrats!

Its a very nice setup within your budget.Its great your better half is sharing your interest.Lovely to hear that you are enjoying your set up. The one mistake we do is to miss out the fun and enjoyment by trying to constantly judge our systems.So just just sit back and enjoy:)

cheers,
sri

Sanjay - Congratulations!!!

You paid 16K for the surround & center speakers, how much is it just for the Mission M3c1i???

hi this is vijaycongrats for buying a good combo .I have auditioned them too in sound and vision in hyderabad.Its really good to hear that ur better half is sharing ur interest.I have a 8 yr old panasonic DK 20 home theatre and I am trying to change it completely replace it witha new system.My budget is 60000 for both speakers and receiver.any sugessions pls help

Congrats! Did you buy a sub as well or are you planning to buy one or using the old one?

Right now I am using the old one itself. The performce is ok. I feel its a bit boomy ,good for movies as it goes to 25hz , but not tight enough for music especially hard rock. I plan to upgrade it after six months or 1 year,to a polk dsw pro series , velodyne impact series or any other better sub. I have not yet fixed a budget so keeping my options open.

Sanjay - Congratulations!!!

You paid 16K for the surround & center speakers, how much is it just for the Mission M3c1i???

I do not have the breakup as I bought the entire set as a diwali offer from the dealer. The m3c1i and the m30i were demo pieces and hence were offerred at a discount. So totally for 5 speakers (m30i - 4 nos, m3c1i - 1 no) I paid 16K. Before buying I checked each speaker for scratches and had a very long audition to check their performance. The dealer also offered my 1 yr standard warranty. Since they were in good condition I bought them.
The fronts m32i were sealed pieces and were not part of the cinema package.

As per the dealer ,music ranch, the prices of mission speakers were supposed to increase and he did not know the new pricing yet.

I guess m3c1i may cost between 6 to 8K now.

hi this is vijaycongrats for buying a good combo .I have auditioned them too in sound and vision in hyderabad.Its really good to hear that ur better half is sharing ur interest.I have a 8 yr old panasonic DK 20 home theatre and I am trying to change it completely replace it witha new system.My budget is 60000 for both speakers and receiver.any sugessions pls help

Depends on your ears and budget. I suggest as many auditions as possible. what I did was took my own dvds, cds and mp3 collection to the demo. I chose a few tracks from my faviorite cds, my wife chose her tracks and also preselected movie scenes. For music and movie auditions used both hindi as well as english titles and played the same songs and scenes in all auditions.
that way it ws easy for us to compare different amps and speaker combos.

The other combo I liked was polk RM 6750 + denon. I did not like the denon + polk tsi 200 combination. Yamaha + wharfedale sounded good but the new yamaha amps do not have good reviews. finally the price factor of mission speakers and the performace was far too good to resist and hence I bought them.

Congratulations on your buy.

Hope you are enjoying the Mission M32i fronts as i have the same fronts for my 2CH setup. They are great speakers for that money with descent performance in all fronts. I really enjoy them and all the very best for you.

swami

Congrats,
Whats the difference between the DVd's(Sony,Onida,LG etc) available for below 5 K and the CA dvd 99.Please advice as am planning to change mine too.

Congrats,
Whats the difference between the DVd's(Sony,Onida,LG etc) available for below 5 K and the CA dvd 99.Please advice as am planning to change mine too.

The Difference between the budget lot of DVD players ver the CA is in the DAC as well as the upscaling chip, these differences result in the overall functionality as well the output of the player.

late advice ---instead of the dvdp u cud have gone in for a BD player for a couple of thousand more

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back