My new Home Theater Setup

As I will be listening to music a lot, I am more in favor of FS than bookshelves.

For speakers, I am now seriously thinking of increasing my budget in favor of Paradigm reference studio 60 v.5 fronts and CC490 center. Will Paradigm Surround 3 s7 (2 Nos) and DSP-3200 v2 sub go with that?

Fronts + centre + sub in the above combo will come to around 2.4 lacs. The surrounds can be added later at another 40K. Please advice me if this combination would be good.

Dali is another option.

Many people told me to also consider Pioneer LX86 and Marantz SR7007 in addition to Yamaha 3020. I don't prefer bright sound. I was thinking Pioneer sounds bright (I remember hearing some Pioneer systems years back) but some people tell me that these new systems from Pioneer do not sound bright. Similarly, is Marantz 7007 better than Aventage 3020 feature wise?

Request some advice from experienced forum members.

I have heard the Paradigm studio 60. Imho, for music you can do better.

iaudio, which are the speakers that you rate better for music?

By the way, as it is also meant to be a home theater, I will end up choosing speakers that are good for movies also. Meaning there will be a bit of compromise, though I would give a slightly higher priority for music quality.

Finally, I have decided to go for Studio 60 V5 for FS, CC 590 V5 centre and Surround 3 from Paradigm for speakers. I am thinking of choosing a sub from Velodyne or Rel. Please send me some good suggestions for sub matching the above speaker configuration.

For Receiver, I am planning to got for Pioneer LX86.

Projector would be Epson TW8100 and screen Elite Sable 106".

For Blueray, I am confused between Oppo 103 and Oppo 105. There is a huge difference in pricing (best quotes being 70K and 110K respectively), but I am not sure if there is so much of a difference in terms of value between the two models.

Prosenjit, thanks for your suggestiions. I did see some DLPs from BenQ and to me the LCDs from Epson looked better. I know the more I look around, the better chance I have to spot the most appopriate one. But in the interest of time, I will rather stick to Epson for projector now.

Thanks for your other suggestions. Yes, I will certainly go for another Blueray player option in future. I am slightly confused between a media player/blue ray combo such as PCH C300 / Dune HDMAx or a better Blueray player from Oppo. PS3 will be an interim solution till then. Please share if you have some views on this.

sdurani, I seriously consider your suggestion to go for wall to wall carpets, which I agree to be a better choice both accoustically and aesthetically. But a lot of people told me about the difficulties of maintaining wall to wall carpets in an Indian home :-( By the way, the choice of Yamaha was more based on its musical qualities rather than features; Denon and Onkyo are not to my taste. Another option that I could consider is Marantz SR 7007. By the way, I am not so much worried about the built-in room correction as I have access to a professional who can do the job for me.

The point you say about RF-52 and its frequency response is interesting. I will be definititely going for an active subwoofer. Does it mean that I dont have any reason to go for floor standing front speakers? If this is really true, then I can choose some higher rated (possibly THX certified) book shelves at the same price range, right?

I am presently using a Dune HDMax in my home theater. Supposedly worlds first hybrid media player with a optical drive. Amazing quality of reproduction of HD material.

I bought Epson TW8100 projector and Elite Sable 106" screen.

For speakers, I bought Paradigm studio V60 fronts and CC590 centre. Waiting for monitor surround 3 s7 for the surrounds and Velodyne SPL-1200 sub.

I also bought Pioneer LX86 receiver and Oppo 103.

I am yet to buy recliners, that seems to be the major purchase left now!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back