My new RPi + Allo Boss DAC

How much does it cost to build an Aleph J with good quality components ?

The boards including the good quality components + power transformer will cost you anywhere near 23k+. And you will also need good quality heat sinks with the cabinet as the Aleph emits lot of heat :)

Thanks for your reply. Rs 23K is still an affordable price compared to market prices.

Where did you source the matched MOSFETs from?
Does any other Pass circuit have better sound quality than Aleph J?

Thanks for your reply. Rs 23K is still an affordable price compared to market prices.

Where did you source the matched MOSFETs from?
Does any other Pass circuit have better sound quality than Aleph J?

I got matched mosfets/jfets for this build from a member named "liubincalvin" on the diyaudio.com forum. Also you can also get it from eBay Israeli seller name "alweit" and here is the link to the same - 4 X IRFP240/IRFP9240 (Matched quad)

The boards including the good quality components + power transformer will cost you anywhere near 23k+. And you will also need good quality heat sinks with the cabinet as the Aleph emits lot of heat :)

Add:
Pair of heat sinks from Perfect Metal approx Rs 5000. One 1000VA Toroidal transformer approx Rs 4500. Add cabinet cost.
Total cost can be Rs 40-45K.

If it was me, I'd go for a good class AB kit of 50-100W mainly because of the prodigious amount of heat class A generates. Many class A amps are akin to tube amps in needing lots of heat up time to start sounding good. There are many good AB designs around like Ovation NX from Bonsai, PeeCeeBee various versions from Shaan in Kolkata, SSA from LazyCat, various versions of MyRef, Sons of VHEX, etc .

Another very viable alternative not to be over looked is TPA3116 or TPA3118 PBTL mono blocks like Allo Volt+. It's super cheap and sounds very close to a class A. I simply don't miss my class A after moving to a cheap pair of TPA3118 monos.

Agree Joshua to all the points, yes indulge in Class A only if you can handle the heat I mean lots of heat :lol:

Hi everyone,
I have bought Allo Boss DAC from allo.com. Before that i was using vana player complete kit. It's sound was awesome with volumio and with my BookShelf speakers of dayton audio.
But now i want to use Allo Boss DAC with Raspberry Pi 3. So, If someone could suggest me good Woofers or audio system to which i can connect my bookshelf speakers. And yes It should be compatible with allo boss and Pi 3 setup. I'm not a master of audio system, in fact i don't know much about audio. So, any help will be appreciated. And yes woofers or audio system should not be much expensive.
Thanks

I think when you buy in USD ,you have to pay exchange rate too & shipping in USD .

few guys are listed allo hardware in INR ,like fabtolab.com and diyaudiocart

Thanks

Giri

After many days of listening, I want to update my earlier remarks on sound quality. I had said in my initial post, that after burn in Boss DAC sounds better than the Arcam.

After extended listening to different types of music, I now perceive that sound from the Arcam iRDAC has a well-rounded personality. The instruments sound more oringinal, bass is higher, and vocals are deeper, than Boss DAC.

There is no doubt that the RPi+Boss is a fantastic combination at it's cost. The difference in sound is very little, and perceivable in blind A-B comparison on the same song. Other features like access through internet, configurable oversampling, touch screen access etc are unmatched.

After many days of listening, I want to update my earlier remarks on sound quality. I had said in my initial post, that after burn in Boss DAC sounds better than the Arcam.

After extended listening to different types of music, I now perceive that sound from the Arcam iRDAC has a well-rounded personality. The instruments sound more oringinal, bass is higher, and vocals are deeper, than Boss DAC.

There is no doubt that the RPi+Boss is a fantastic combination at it's cost. The difference in sound is very little, and perceivable in blind A-B comparison on the same song. Other features like access through internet, configurable oversampling, touch screen access etc are unmatched.

Quick question ,

What software are you using? volumio ( it seems from the initial pictures) Also what version. Moode on the same setup sounded better, not sure if the boss dac had completed the burn in, but will swap out with a volumio image and check tonight.

I have Tried out the boss dac versus the Piano2.1 and kali and somehow the kali/piano2.1 combo sounded better. , btw there was a difference even when i changed the standard rca cable with the DAC RCA cables. I am awaiting my linear power supply to come in and see if that improves the sound as well. though the kali is supposed to filter out electrical noise.

Quick question ,

What software are you using? volumio ( it seems from the initial pictures) Also what version. Moode on the same setup sounded better, not sure if the boss dac had completed the burn in, but will swap out with a volumio image and check tonight.

I have Tried out the boss dac versus the Piano2.1 and kali and somehow the kali/piano2.1 combo sounded better. , btw there was a difference even when i changed the standard rca cable with the DAC RCA cables. I am awaiting my linear power supply to come in and see if that improves the sound as well. though the kali is supposed to filter out electrical noise.

I had tried Moode, but settled for Volumio after they added the upsampling option and also because of touchscreen support.
Was there a big difference between piano 2.1 and boss dac?

Earlier I was using the mount I got with the touchscreen to hold rpi + bocc dac. The result was that cables were hanging out and everything was open to dust.

I added a TPA3116D2 amp board, and put the entire stuff in a case. The case itself is made of MDF board, laser cut n joined and spray painted black, total cost rs 1400 approx.

Now this player does quite well !!

I had tried Moode, but settled for Volumio after they added the upsampling option and also because of touchscreen support.
Was there a big difference between piano 2.1 and boss dac?

Well between the two i have found the Piano to offer better sound separation.
The Boss dac was bass heavy and did offer clear sound though.

I am awaiting for allo to release the Dual mono patch for the piano2.1 as that according to some beta testers sounded even better than the 2.0 mode as each of the audio chips processed mono sound versus the job of one chip for stereo and the other chip for the subwoofer

Please try adding an external power supply to the Boss Allo. I did two things with my boss allo and it improved the sound tremendously.

1) powered the boss allo through a 6v battery. Result was tighter bass and better resolution, better dynamics and better overall sound. Its worth trying really.

2) connected it directly to my marantz PM8003 Power-amp direct input instead of line in. This tamed all the excess bass for me and made vocals beautiful.

I compared it with my Arcam rdac and certainly, this is a revelation, unbelievable and huge sound at this price, no comparision.

Please try adding an external power supply to the Boss Allo. I did two things with my boss allo and it improved the sound tremendously.

1) powered the boss allo through a 6v battery. Result was tighter bass and better resolution, better dynamics and better overall sound. Its worth trying really.

2) connected it directly to my marantz PM8003 Power-amp direct input instead of line in. This tamed all the excess bass for me and made vocals beautiful.

I compared it with my Arcam rdac and certainly, this is a revelation, unbelievable and huge sound at this price, no comparision.

That''s great! I must try that one.

There is a 1 Farad 5.4v supercapactor available, at a reasonable cost which can power the DAC for 3-4 hrs which can work instead of the battery.

That''s great! I must try that one.

There is a 1 Farad 5.4v supercapactor available, at a reasonable cost which can power the DAC for 3-4 hrs which can work instead of the battery.

Using a supercapacitor will be even better. Also found it to be extremely choosy to interconnect cables. So, I made a custom cable just of few inches of length, helped to clean up the sound even more.

Using a supercapacitor will be even better. Also found it to be extremely choosy to interconnect cables. So, I made a custom cable just of few inches of length, helped to clean up the sound even more.

On the whole, perhaps the switch mode PS introduces noise into the circuit, which gives a peculiar color to the vocals and highs. You solved that with the battery. In my unit the DAC is doing well, but the 3116 Amp has the issue.

Perhaps I must invest in a linear PSU with Audio grade capacitors. This will power both, the DAC and the 3116.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back