My new RPi + Allo Boss DAC

sanjeev Mathur

Hi People,

I just assembled a music player by combining the Raspberry Pi 3B with a Allo Boss DAC board, and a 7 inch Touchscreen LCD player. I configured my Samsung Tab also to access the player. The setup is wonderful. I gave the electronics a 50 hour burn-in, and now the Sound Quality exceeds that of my Arcam iRDAC !!

Totally pleased with this setup.

Looks like Allo does make great products at budget price. Boss Dac is a recent addition to their product line. Congrats on your purchase.

I myself am trying to get kali + piano 2.1 to use with my Pi 2. However thanks to tax regime in India, even though all these products are manufactured in India and exported the price is upto 20% cheaper in US than India!

I will suggest that you go for BOSS DAC, instead of Kali + Piano 2.1 combination, since ALLO has integrated Kali on that board and it works out cheaper.

The second picture shows cable connections. At present there are two extra cables, i.e. the Keyboard and Ethernet cables, which are required for setup only. I have removed the now and the player can be controlled entirely thru the Tab (mobile or iPad) or thru the touchscreen interface. It works in a true 'headless' mode !

Great Work!!! Is that a TOSLINK cable; are you connecting it into AVR? Could you tell more about the entire chain?

Hi People,

I just assembled a music player by combining the Raspberry Pi 3B with a Allo Boss DAC board, and a 7 inch Touchscreen LCD player. I configured my Samsung Tab also to access the player. The setup is wonderful. I gave the electronics a 50 hour burn-in, and now the Sound Quality exceeds that of my Arcam iRDAC !!

Totally pleased with this setup.
I am planning to put together the exact same build. I have bought a raspberry pi 3. Where can I get my hands on a Boss DAC.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

@Manniraj: How is the power and sound quality of your Aleph J amplifier? How does it sound in comparison to the Yamaha RXV-571?

I have connected the RPi player to my (now old) Yamaha RX-V357, and I am wondering how soon to go in for an amp upgrade.

I got the vana player now as well. I have not done much AB comparison with any of my existing sources but the value seems to be incredibly good for money.

However I am currently not able to mount my share drive on volumio of sparky. No issues with volumio on pi. Due to this currently it is limited to streaming from bubble upnp. Will post further once am able to complete the set-up and spend some time with it.

@Manniraj: How is the power and sound quality of your Aleph J amplifier? How does it sound in comparison to the Yamaha RXV-571?

I have connected the RPi player to my (now old) Yamaha RX-V357, and I am wondering how soon to go in for an amp upgrade.

I think it will be unfair to compare 571 with the Class A power amplifier like Aleph J. May be I would have heard it initially when I brought the Yamaha for music otherwise a dedicated stereo amplifier makes a lot of difference in music compared to a HT receiver. The stereo receiver or power amplifier paired with a preamp is the way to go for music playback as a HT has to be of very high end to compare a simple stereo amplifier. Even my puny 6W*2 AmpCampAmp (ACA) performs better compared to HT in stereo mode.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back