My New Subwoofer!

nitinbose

Hi Everyone,

Finally, after much thinking, auditioning and ofcourse, suggestions from our valuable members, I went for a Klipsch sub-12 subwoofer.

This is a 12" Active Subwoofer, capable of 300Watts and 117db @ 30Hz.

As far as the performance is concerned, it gelled well with my existing fronts, which are wharfedale atlantic.

I now feel the audio spectrum as "complete" as what some of the others have described. A truly wonderful experience.

I only need to set the subwoofer at 50% of its gain (my avr sub level set at 0db), for normal listening.

This subwoofer literaly gives the shakes for movies as what manu4panjab had desribed - to feel what you're seeing.

Thanks,

Nitin.

Hi Everyone,

Finally, after much thinking, auditioning and ofcourse, suggestions from our valuable members, I went for a Klipsch sub-12 subwoofer.

This is a 12" Active Subwoofer, capable of 300Watts and 117db @ 30Hz.

As far as the performance is concerned, it gelled well with my existing fronts, which are wharfedale atlantic.

I now feel the audio spectrum as "complete" as what some of the others have described. A truly wonderful experience.

I only need to set the subwoofer at 50% of its gain (my avr sub level set at 0db), for normal listening.

This subwoofer literaly gives the shakes for movies as what manu4panjab had desribed - to feel what you're seeing.

Thanks,

Nitin.

congrats brother happyyyyyyyyy shaking :eek:hyeah::cool:

how is it with music?

Hi,

Its also pretty good for music. As I'd mentioned earlier, setting the sub gain (on the subwoofer) at 50% is quite adequate, with the AVR sub gain set to 0db.

I've got to fix the sub correctly on the ground because my floor is slightly uneven and the sub causes the chasis to vibrate between the floor! It also shakes the wardrobes/window grills at reasonable volumes.

I'm just waiting for it to pass the "burn-in" the stage.

I was also considering Polk subwoofers, however the specs seemed unreasonable. Polk uses some CEA2010 standard, which mentions the SPL at an "ultra low" and "low frequency", however, no information on distortion is mentioned :( At 25Hz, the SPL is at 100dB.

The Klipsch mentions 117db at 30hz, with 1% THD. I believe in addition to power, one must also consider the SPL & THD.

50 percent seems a bit high for the 12 inch. It should be slightly below that mark.

-
Hi,

Its also pretty good for music. As I'd mentioned earlier, setting the sub gain (on the subwoofer) at 50% is quite adequate, with the AVR sub gain set to 0db.

I've got to fix the sub correctly on the ground because my floor is slightly uneven and the sub causes the chasis to vibrate between the floor! It also shakes the wardrobes/window grills at reasonable volumes.

I'm just waiting for it to pass the "burn-in" the stage.

I was also considering Polk subwoofers, however the specs seemed unreasonable. Polk uses some CEA2010 standard, which mentions the SPL at an "ultra low" and "low frequency", however, no information on distortion is mentioned :( At 25Hz, the SPL is at 100dB.

The Klipsch mentions 117db at 30hz, with 1% THD. I believe in addition to power, one must also consider the SPL & THD.

Hi Nitin,
Congratulations. Thats one AWESOME sub bro .Nice choice.
But how did you get it. Here in chennai some time back when I with a friend was hunting for a Subwoofer I enquired the Onkyo dealer for this sub but they said it comes as a package (Synergy series) so they won't give the sub alone.Sigh:sad: recession time we dropped the plan of buying it.
But I knew the price was in this range.
I auditioned it with a mammoth Klipsch F3 powered by onkyo "superman" SR-875:D.It by itself was amazing with the bass but when we switched on the Sub the whole soundstage widened left to right and top to bottom.Yes the ground shook and we were in ground floor( Solid Ground).I listened to Time by pink floyd and it sounded like I was in a stadium,Then played Adema-Planets for deep kick bass and it was really tight.
Playing pearl harbour jap invasion scene was like the whole room would disintegrate any moment.This sub is ferocious.That's why I've already mentioned in one of the earlier threads that for the price nothing comes close to a Klipsch Sub-12.:yahoo:
Do proper run-in and calibrate the crossover again after you feel that it has properly run-in. Also place a carpet under the sub,cause on solid floor this sub moves around (Down-firing):p.
So Enjoy the mayhem;)
Regards,
Sam

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back