My New (Used) FM tuner

omishra

Welcome! my new acquisition Tandberg TPT3001 (make 1981), heavy piece of art. This is supposed to be better than its successor 3011 model.

Some quotes of world wide web.

An incredible amount of precision went into building this tuner, and you can see with a peek inside why it carried its $2,200 price tag. The TPT 3001 sold for over $1,100 when it was introduced in 1980, and the virtually identical [black] TPT 3001A had climbed to $2,000 by the time production ended in the early 90s.

Tuning, Muting, Servo, ANC, Mono
This can be tuned by presets or manually via the tuning knob. The feel of the knob is smooth and silky, with tuning precision provided by internal mechanical string/pulley ratios. When the knob is touched, the servo is deactivated, and if it was tuned using a preset, it defaults back to the station tuned via the linear dial. The muting switch is on/off, and when on, is set by an external analog continuously adjustable knob - a nice touch rarely seen on other tuners. The servo lock switch lets you turn the servo off. It is not an aggressive lock, as some later Sansuis have, but rather gives one complete control - another nice touch. ANC (automatic noise canceling circuit) is the MPX blend circuit, which works well for weak-signal stereo reception to reduce noise levels significantly while maintaining separation. The mono/stereo switch is independent of any other settings.
Bandwidth control:
The wide and normal IF bandwidth settings are implemented via LC filters, and the number of LC poles here (20) exceeds the number we normally see in other tuners. The wide filter is in the RF gang section with 6 poles, followed by the normal section with 14 poles, spread over 3 LC filters (6/4/4). Narrow mode uses two dual element 3-pin ceramics. All the filter sections are in series when in narrow, for 24 poles of selectivity. The RF front end is 8 gangs, with two RF amps, both BF900 dual-gate MOSFETs. There are 6 gangs used for the RF signal path, and 2 gangs used in the local oscillator. The mixer is also a BF900 dual-gate MOSFET. There are 8 presets that are displayed on single-digit LEDs. The 3001A has fixed and variable output jacks, and the variable output level is controlled by a front-panel knob under the preset buttons. For scope fans, there are horizontal and vertical scope outputs. Sensitivity is very good. In normal, it has no problem separating 94.3 and 94.5, the two stations here that always give lesser tuner headaches. The sound is very good, with extremely low noise levels and deep, solid bass. Highs are extended and natural, without a trace of harshness or sibilance. It is a very polite sound, which many like - I know I do, and it suits those interested in jazz and classical FM music programming. I would rate this tuner as one of the best tuners I have ever listened to, without any qualms, provided it is functioning properly.
The results have to be experienced to really understand how phenomenal a tuner the 3001 is. It is not every day you see an FM tuner registering 0.05% THD at the output jacks!

Features:

High-performance, 8-gang analog FM tuner
Eight preset station storage with internal battery to maintain presets when power is disconnected
Servo-lock (AFC) manual tuning
Mono/Stereo and Muting functions
ANC (multiplex blend) function controls noise on weaker stations
Dual tuning meters for accurate station selection
Variable output level and 3-way de-emphasis switch
Selectable 115V 60Hz or 230V 50Hz operation just slide the rear panel switch and plug in correct AC line cord (115V/60Hz cable supplied with this listing)
Heavy-gauge brushed aluminum cabinet

Specifications:

Tuning range: 87.5 - 108 MHz
Usable sensitivity: Mono: 0.6-0.7 uV
50 dB quieting sensitivity: Mono: 1.0 uV Wide, 0.8 uV Narrow; Stereo: 11.0 uV
Signal to noise ratio: Mono: 95 dB, Stereo: 82 dB
Muting threshold: 1 microvolts to 3millivolts, variable
Stereo threshold: 5 uV
Frequency response: 30 Hz to 15 kHz, +0.2 dB, -0.5 dB mono/stereo
Distortion at 50 dB quieting: mono/stereo: 0.1% (wide)
Distortion at 65 dBf (0.5 mV/75 ohms at 1 kHz): Mono: 0.03%, Stereo: 0.04% (wide)
Intermodulation distortion: mono/stereo < 0.1% (wide)
Capture ratio, selectively measured: 0.4 dB (wide)
Adjacent channel selectivity, +/- 200 kHz: 40 dB (narrow)
Alternate channel selectivity, +/- 400 kHz: > 90 dB (narrow)
Spurious response ratio: > 135 dB
Image response ratio, balanced: > 135 dB
Stereo separation (1 kHz): > 70 dB
19 kHz suppression: 95 dB
38 kHz suppression: > 120 dB
Dynamic range of signal meter: 0.3 uV 1000 uV; 1.0 mV 3,000 mV (x1000 meter range)
Dimensions: 17-1/8" (w) x 13-3/4" (d) x 3-1/4" (h) (43.5cm x 35cm x 8.3cm)
Weight: 15.3 lbs. (7 kg)

Night lamps:
image989x.jpg

Dial and display:
image990.jpg

Another snap:
image991.jpg

My DIY FM Yagi antenna completes 2 years -
Almost all stations are >300V gain and some are ~900V on dial

image992g.jpg

Sounds:
The sound is very good, with extremely low noise levels and deep, solid bass. Highs are extended and natural, without a trace of harshness or sibilance.

Pros:
  • In those days these guys put r-core into it.
  • All regulators inside are shunt regulators.
  • Only 13 Caps are electrolytic which I will be replacing in PS area.
  • All remaining are silver foil and PP caps.
  • All signal path is discreet, class A amplified.
Cons:
  • Preset buttons last 30 years so I need to replace new set.
  • Battery for program memory needs replacement after each 10 years, I am putting super cap in place.
  • PCB Boards are approx 3 sqft, interconnected by pins and jacks which are required to re-flow of solder. In this regard, mine is 100% problem free.

My damage with shipping and Custom Duty is 34K INR + battery, preset switches and cap replacement pending. I don't want to touch inside as its working fine for my needs without any problem.

More information:

Tandberg TPT-3001 FM Tuner Completely Overhauled | Tuners | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Tuner Information Center - Tuner Reviews S-Z

Congratulations Omishra on your new acquisition. Aesthetically well designed as well.

I had recently acquired a NAD 412 Tuner and paired it with my NAD 3020i Stereo Amp and I am simply loving it. Amazing what these tuners can do.

Cheers and happy listening.

omishra, congratulations. This is an excellent tuner and with your knowledge of tuners, this piece is really going to shine.

Where did you get this from - obviously somewhere abroad!.
Yes it's from USA eBay. Used SnS for shipping.

I was eyeing this for last 2 years. But somehow last 2 bidding went out of my budget and one was ending during USA daytime and our midnight. So eventually someone outbid me by little margin.
Remaining were 3011 model or not so good condition. So it was most patient wait. During this time I became proud owner of other 2 nice tuners.

@audio_passionate: I am looking that piece of paper which hold design of my Yagi. I published somewhere here in HFV but not finding it now. I will repost it for sure.

Yes it's from USA eBay. Used SnS for shipping.

I was eyeing this for last 2 years. But somehow last 2 bidding went out of my budget and one was ending during USA daytime and our midnight. So eventually someone outbid me by little margin.
Remaining were 3011 model or not so good condition. So it was most patient wait. During this time I became proud owner of other 2 nice tuners.

Oh great! your patience finally paid off. I remember how you were patiently waiting for the Technics SL 1200, and the TT that you picked up (SL D202) while searching for the SL 1200 was what I bought from you!

So are you looking to sell any of the other two tuners that you have picked up? Just kidding - but if you are seriously looking to sell, do let me know.

Best,
APK

Congrats Mishra ji for this amazing tuner. I m also a big fan of Good Tuners. I m expecting some suggestions/advice for FM Antenna for my Sansui TU-317

It goes here -
I build this for 98MHz , center of FM band. Remaining dial is covered with +/-7dB gain.
antenne.jpg

Length:
1 -> 122.5 cm (Director 1)
2 -> 127.5 cm (Director 2)
3 -> 132.6 cm (Director 3)
4 -> 140.8 cm (Director 4)
5 -> 146.0 cm (folded dipole)
6 -> 153.0 cm (Reflector)

Distances:

A = 61.2 cm
B = 46.0 cm
C = 30.6 cm
D = 30.6 cm
E = 49.0 cm

Construction notes: http://www.hifivision.com/am-fm-tuners-satellite-radio/18552-showcase-your-tuner.html#post257522

References:
BUILD YOUR YAGI ANTENNA
build one Yagi ANTENNA

For making BALUN - I took 8" X 2 pairs of colored CAT6 strands. Wound 2.5 turns on '8' shaped BALUN core. Direction of winding is CW for one and CCW for other, starting from inner to outer edge of core.

emc-ferrite-balun.jpg

At one end connects same colors from both coils together, reaming wires are "Balanced" 300 ohm, connects to dipole

At other end connect same (which is connected together at dipole end) to other coils. This end is now unbalanced 75 ohm. This goes to Tuner through shielded cable.

balun2.gif

images

Reference: A balun tutorial design

FUXW97GH3Z3TWXW.LARGE.jpg

Cover in weatherproof jacket. I used PVC pipe and cap at both ends, please see pic of my antenna.
image992g.jpg

Last edited:
Oh great! your patience finally paid off. I remember how you were patiently waiting for the Technics SL 1200, and the TT that you picked up (SL D202) while searching for the SL 1200 was what I bought from you!

So are you looking to sell any of the other two tuners that you have picked up? Just kidding - but if you are seriously looking to sell, do let me know.
Thanks apk! Get it from me whenever you visit here next time.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back