My Onkyo TX-SR608 wont turn on :(

But, nothing changes the fact that 1VA = 1 watt. So if the OP is using a 1000 watts step down, he is using a 1 kVA step down. Cheers

1VA is not equal to 1Watt in this case since the load is not resistive.

Citing your example, if the OP is using a 1000VA step down and assuming the PF of the receiver is 0.85 (just an arbitrary number below the ideal value of 1), the transformer will be capable of providing only VA x PF = 1000 x 0.85 = 850Watts and not 1000W.

You may recollect the same number jugglery used to manufacturers advantage in case of rating UPS's, Stabilizers...

Likewise a 500VA UPS can never support a PC drawing 500Watts of actual power since the PF of the PC SMPS is never unity.

Side Note: Active PFC (Power factor correction) is used in good SMPS's but it can only make the PF closer to unity(Ex:0.98) but never exactly unity but that's the subject of another discussion.

Last edited:
@ sandy2911

Can you post a picture of your step-down converter and approximately how much does it weigh? (I've seen tiny step down converters marked as 800VA whereas it cannot handle even 100VA)

How much is your Klipsch Sub power consumption rated at (not Sound O/P rating)? The reason I ask this is if your step down converter transformer is not sufficiently rated (forget what is written on the faceplate), it may buckle under a heavy load. Here I'm assuming the AVR consumes more load than your sub but that need not be the case.

Here is one of the things you can do to verify whether your step-down converter is good.

Connect the 110V O/P of your step-down converter to a multi-socket power-bar (Ex. Belkin or local varieties) and measure the voltage in one of the sockets using a multimeter under no load (nothing connected to the other sockets of Power Bar) and then your sub connected to one of the sockets of the power bar and later with your AVR connected to one of the sockets. If you see voltage varying by more than 10-15 volts, your step-down converter may be at fault.

Caution: If you are not comfortable testing using a multimeter at high voltages, taking help from an electrician is highly recommended. We are dealing with potentially lethal voltages and we all would like to see you around :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Guys,

thanks for all the inputs. the converter is pretty small. have uploaded pics on these links

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

my concern is with the amp showing absolutely no life. i would atleast expect the standby light to turn on after plugging it in??? iv'e tried to power up the sub multiple times using the same converter and it works perfectly. the sub's power rating is

POWER HANDLING FTC Rated Power: 55 watts continuous,
22-125Hz @ ? 1% THD
Dynamic Power*: 225 watts @ ? 1% THD
VOLTAGE 110/120 VAC/60Hz

i noticed that the sub is rated 110/120 while the amp is 120v only. Perhaps that could be making the difference?

hey guys,

i have uploaded a few pics of the step down converter here:

on the front side it reads - 110v AC; 50-60Hz.
its a really cheap (Rs. 160) small device i purchased across the counter from a small electrical goods store.

my sub which i have powered many times through this converter comes on instatly.

the power rating of the sub is as follows (this is the max info i cud find)
22-125Hz @ ? 1% THD
VOLTAGE 110/120 VAC/60Hz

a noticable difference between the voltage rating of the sub and the amp is the sub is 110/120v while the amp says 120v only. the converter too says 110v only...

????

hey guys,

i have uploaded a few pics of the step down converter which shall be put up shortly (post moderator approval)

its a really cheap (Rs. 160) small device i purchased across the counter from a small electrical goods store.

my sub which i have powered many times through this converter comes on instatly.

22-125Hz @ ? 1% THD
VOLTAGE 110/120 VAC/60Hz

a noticable difference between the voltage rating of the sub and the amp is the sub is 110/120v while the amp says 120v only. the converter too says 110v only...

????

hey guys,

i have uploaded a few pics of the step down converter which shall be put up shortly (post moderator approval)

22-125Hz @ ? 1% THD
VOLTAGE 110/120 VAC/60Hz

????

Issue solved. Your converter is the problem. In any case you cannot find a 1KVa step down for 160Rs. Try to get a good one either MX or Maxine or something similar, not sure about their availability in your location.

The sub wont take much power initially, but the amp will.

Caution: Dont use this kind of converter with any equipments which draws high current, it can be dangerous.

Last edited:
Apparently what you are using is a converter and not a step down transformer. The former is meant only for resistive loads like an electric blanket, coffee maker etc. It should never be used for electronic circuits like tape recorders amplifiers. The converter is very light weighing a few grams. Whereas a step down transformer is a lot more heavier. A 1 KVA step down transformer should weigh about a Kg. So you should get a good quality step down transformer from somebody like MX. You can even try some of the electronic shops and see if they undertake the winding of such a transformer. The last 1 KVA transformer that I got about a year ago cost me Rs.1,500.

I thought as much and that's exactly the reason I asked you to post pictures and weight. We still don't see the picture (pending mod approval) but it is not required anymore. As many have pointed out already , your "converter" is a total misfit for this kind of use. Please change it immediately and never use it for anything above 10-20watts resistive loads.

my sub which i have powered many times through this converter comes on instantly.

Its your good luck that you didn't blow up the converter (fire hazard) or spoil your sub so far. Please discontinue using that el-cheapo contraption which masquerades as a converter and go for one of the reputed brands suggested above (MX, Maxine...) or get a good winding shop to make one for you. Assuming you'd be connecting your sub as well to the 110V line, I'd suggest to go for a minimum of 1200 VA or better still 1500 VA version to allow for de-rating and some headroom.

Last edited:
hey guys,

appreciate the responses.

i spoke to the onkyo service center here in mumbai and they asked me to use a 1 KVA step-down transformer. Any idea where I could get that? ebay.in throws a blank.

Hi Sandy

There is a place called Yogiraj Electronics in Kandivali (W) near station, they will make a custom transformer for your based on the requirements for Voltage, Watts and Frequency based on what your system needs.

I got two made for my Nintendo (from US) after I burnt the original one through the "generic" stepdown transformer. He also gave me the right advice for the converters I needed for the other appliances that I had brought.

I highly recommend them, if you are interested I can give you the address and phone number.

Last edited:

This is the problem.

Do not use a "converter". Buy a "transformer". If you are around Malad W, I can give you contact of shops in Malad locality.

Converter also converts voltage to 110 and is inexpensive. But if it goes wrong it will supply 220 v as output.

OTHO, even if transformer gos wrong, it will stop supplying output. It wont damage the AVR by supplying 220v.

its a really cheap (Rs. 160) small device i purchased across the counter from a small electrical goods store....
I also have ONKYO AMP got it from USA.. I did this mistake initially. Its pretty dangerous since we are passing 240 V to 120 V Device. Since the AMP has surge protector luckily it wont hurt the AMP.

Still there's chances that fuse is gone.

After that I got MAXINE step down transformer i think its 1 KVA, its working fine more than 3 three years. Still I have it with me.

Its available in chennai. I am not sure its available in your place.

Converter also converts voltage to 110 and is inexpensive. But if it goes wrong it will supply 220 v as output.

OTHO, even if transformer gos wrong, it will stop supplying output. It wont damage the AVR by supplying 220v.

Actually a converter doesn't convert the voltage to 110 V. It is conducting only for half the time in each cycle and averages 110 V. The peak to peak voltage is still 220 V. Thus it will damage electronic equipment like tape recorders and amplifiers. Converters rated for 1000 Watts can be used on coffee makers and other heating equipment up to the full load of 1000 Watts.

hey guys,

i have uploaded a few pics of the step down converter here:

That's a transformerless digital voltage converter, which is a big no no for AVRs and on top of that it's fake 1000W.

Guys,

Firstly thanks so much for all the inputs. based on ur advise, i ordered a custom made step-down transformer from a manufacturer in andheri. He will be making the delivery tommo evening so i will report back as soon as i attempt to bring this beast to life.

the manufacturer is primarily produces industrial transformers and was very knowledgeable about transformers.

i remain extremely concerned since the amp has seemed completely dead and even with the cheap a*s converter i think it should have at least turned the standby light on.

the current state is quite a pitty with my speakers and sub raring to go but with no engine they are reduce to black blocks of wood :-\

oh and i must add.. those so called converter manufacturers should be sued to death. through this is ordeal it is amply clear that they shameless over-quote specifications, apart from being involved in several other deceitful business practices. DIE "KUNDIP" DIE!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you here to solve your issue or to blame\using filthy language against some manufacturer for your fault?

Last edited:
You have to blame the Guy who recommended converter instead of Step down transformer.

For my case also .. Even I asked many times to that guy repeatedly(in richie street chennai) .. He told yes it will work Sir.

For me Atleast my AMP turned on in stand by mode. When I tried to swirch on it just tripped and gave some strange sound. After that I immediately removed the power cable and saved my AMP :). And Checked with the proper guy and finally got MAXINE transformers and started wroking fine after that.

You could try to service with ONKYO itself , Possbly fuse might be gone.

Come on don't blame the converter guys. It is a different product for a different category and not meant for these kind AVRs. As pointed out by some members I would clarify that you need a proper step down trfr for the AVR and have a cut off inside the same. Kindly check if surge protector has blown by the converter if AVR does not turn on after connecting the step down.

Sandy, keep it cool find a good service technician and get it fixed. We all understand your pain.. I can only wish for a speedy repair for your amp....:)

Onkyo SR608 works fine with MAXINE step down transformer . I do have one from US and using MAXINE 1.5KVA, 110V step down transformer to power it. It's almost 3 months now and no issues so far.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back