My Pass F5 Amplifier Build

One more advantage is that the CPU coolers tend to have a copper base which conducts heat better that aluminum and have more surface area thereby tending to be more efficient than ordinary heatsinks.

The top and bottom plates can be made of perforated mesh plates which will make the mounting of a 120 mm slow speed or temperature controlled exhaust fan on the top easier and aesthetically pleasing.

ded10.jpg

AFAIK, the heatsink used above uses heatpipes to conduct heat, the tubes are normally filled with a liquid, for it to be efficient they should be placed vertically, ie., the baseplate should be in bottom.

but many people say that it works well anyway, maybe you can confirm the same with the manual provided.

Regards
harsha

Instead of soldering the power transistor/chip directly on the board, we can connect them to the PCB using wires. and those 4 red PCBs can get freedom and be placed elsewhere. It will also allow you to place the 4 heatsinks more conveniently somewhere else as per the design of the casing.

No no no.. This will add oscillations and could self destroy the amp. I have tried in small amp. This huge will be no different.

I had a vintage Luxman amp where the 4 transistors were mounted on the rear side heatsink and connected to the PCB through wires. I was looking for pic but can't seem to find it.

So it would depend on the implementation I guess.

BTW, these look very promising: http://www.primeabgb.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=165&Itemid=54

I had a vintage Luxman amp where the 4 transistors were mounted on the rear side heatsink and connected to the PCB through wires. I was looking for pic but can't seem to find it.

So it would depend on the implementation I guess.

BTW, these look very promising: Buy Corsair CPU Cooler | Corsair CPU Cooler in India

Most Ahuja PA Amps also has that kind of wiring for 2N3055 package, but MOSFETs are different creatures IMO.

Audiodoc, what is the latest on the build? We are curious because the components have arrived and would be in our hands soon. The fit and finish of your other builds are fabulous and hence the curiosity. :)

I am presently busy with casing a separate stereo rig. A pass BOZ, LDR volume control in one chassis and a simple gain clone using WiMA polypropylene and nichicon muse capacitors in a second enclosure.

I would have made the enclosure as build by fm anilva however I dislike bulky 3u units. I want to DIY a vertical configuration. Even my toroid is only 4.5 cm high. I want a chassis with inner dimensions of 6 cm wide by 30 cm deep and 30 cm high which i will mount vertically so the heat sinks mounted on the sides are 1 square feet each with the top panel having laser cut vents. Unfortunately I am not finding any heatsinks for the same in chandigarh.

I want to DIY a vertical configuration. Even my toroid is only 4.5 cm high. I want a chassis with inner dimensions of 6 cm wide by 30 cm deep and 30 cm high which i will mount vertically so the heat sinks mounted on the sides are 1 square feet each with the top panel having laser cut vents. Unfortunately I am not finding any heatsinks for the same in chandigarh.

That would be aesthetically pleasing but for uniform heat dissipation over the 1'x1' heat sink, the PCBs need to be mounted in the centre. Would that be feasible?

Yes as you can see that is why I have not mounted the output transistors as yet. Their legs will be bent appropriately so that they are equidistant from each other and the edges.

Those are bulky too with no price benefits. I also liked the original pass 5 build amp enclosure. If I get similar sinks I will love this too.

2_5.jpg

If you can arrange similar heat sinks all that is needed will be an anodised front panel and 3 mm top, rear and bottom panels. The top and bottom ones may be vented ideally.

Yeah the Pass cabinet does look fabulous. Hmm, heat sinks with crossed fins look lovely but the million $ question is where to get em from?

If you can arrange similar heat sinks all that is needed will be an anodised front panel and 3 mm top, rear and bottom panels. The top and bottom ones may be vented ideally.

Many people tried getting those heatsinks including me. They are specially extruded for Pass Labs. If someone is willing to do it for us it will be great. They are horizontal heatsinks with fins turned up for heat dissipation.

Yes they are lovely and unique. Have a horizontal extension appx 5-7 mm thick for mounting the devices and those vertically bent horizontal fins.

This is the previous configuration which I plan with more robust 1x1 feet heatsinks on the sides.

194_Dussen_T2i-F.jpg

These are the ones commercially available from honkong from 12 to 15K. Considering that Mr Anilva bought the extrusions for 2 cabbies for 12K I believe this finished cab for 12K will be a good deal regarding the amount of time saved going arpund metal workshops.

Pass Labs F5 New Power Supply | D.M.S

pesante_diss_10mm.jpg

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back