My Raspberry Pi Based Music Streamer

Hi Friends,
Need some suggestions for my next Pi Streamer Project.
I am planning to use 7.9inch ultrawide screen as whole front panel with volume and power switch in front only.
View attachment 70746

This is es9038 q2m based board with spdif, i2s, coaxial input
View attachment 70747

This is discrete R2R board.
View attachment 70748

Waiting for power supply transformer and components to arrive.
Please suggest which board I should use? ES9038Q2M or R2R?
I have tested ES9038Q2M board its really good. Its the same which is used in HifiRose RS250.
Basically I want to replicate RS250 design I liked it so much.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
its an easy decision, right ? you want to replicate Hifirose... and you have confirmed that its using the same chip ?

I have been thinking abt R2R Dac and if you decide to go that way, if you are sharing the build details, I am keen to follow your build and learn along the way.

I should mention facilities/ specifications of my streamer.
Hardware
Raspberry pi 3b
12v 5amp plus 5v 5amp power supply.
Asus DVD drive for audio cd playback
Can Install internal sata or usb HDD
2 USB ports and one Lan Port
Dual ES9023 based dac

Highlights
Logitech media server inbuilt
Can play local files via usb or internal HDD
Can play network shared files
Support most popular streaming sites (Spotify, youtube, tidal etc)
Various control options
Via touch screen, buttons, ir remote, mobile app, web browser PC or tablet
Support external DAC

I should mention facilities/ specifications of my streamer.
Hardware
Raspberry pi 3b
12v 5amp plus 5v 5amp power supply.
Asus DVD drive for audio cd playback
Can Install internal sata or usb HDD
2 USB ports and one Lan Port
Dual ES9023 based dac

Highlights
Logitech media server inbuilt
Can play local files via usb or internal HDD
Can play network shared files
Support most popular streaming sites (Spotify, youtube, tidal etc)
Various control options
Via touch screen, buttons, ir remote, mobile app, web browser PC or tablet
Support external DAC
What OS are you using?

I have similar setup with rpi 3b+ with pi2aes
I am using USB cd drive for audio cd, OS is bare arch linux with real time kernel running mpd real time

What OS are you using?

I have similar setup with rpi 3b+ with pi2aes
I am using USB cd drive for audio cd, OS is bare arch linux with real time kernel running mpd real time
I am using piCorePlayer 8.2.0. Its based on TinyCore Linux. Squeezelite Player (Based on Logitech Squeezelite product) and LMS (Logitech Media Server). JiveLite as frontend for display and control. LMS plugins for extra functions such as CDplayer etc.

This my DIY network streamer based on Raspberry Pi with Dual ES9023 DAC Board with linear power supply. I have also added CD Player functionality. Hope my fellow members will like it. And suggest me for any improvements and your thoughts on my DIY project

I've read the whole post in detail, and have been through all the pics :)
Iam absolutely gobsmacked to see such a lovely and professional looking build amanker :)
Hearty congratulations on achieving this build, and wishing you all the best for the future. I really wish I had your electronics, cum software, cum CAD knowledge :D
You've singularly achieved what audio companies hire atleast 8 different skill set people to achieve :D
So my respects :)

@amanker

You could add a DSP radio module based on Si47XX / Si48XX since you already have a MC inside. So it becomes a digital all-in-one :)

Some interesting details here

If you have done the same please share your experience.

What I have,
Raspberry pi 4 with Raspbian flashed and openmediavault setup. (I want to retain this setup)
An external amplifier.

What I want to do,
my pi has mp3 files collection (external HDD)
I can take the audio out via 3.5mm jack of pi and connect to amplifier aux.
Is there a way I can play these songs remotely? A web interface?

I already tried OwnTune plugin on openmedivault, but some how when I play a song, no sound coming via 3.5mm jack.
I verified that 3.5mm jack works by playing a mp3 directly using mplayer command.

Is there a different way I could achieve this?

What I have,
Raspberry pi 4 with Raspbian flashed and openmediavault setup. (I want to retain this setup)
An external amplifier.

What I want to do,
my pi has mp3 files collection (external HDD)
I can take the audio out via 3.5mm jack of pi and connect to amplifier aux.
Is there a way I can play these songs remotely? A web interface?

I already tried OwnTune plugin on openmedivault, but some how when I play a song, no sound coming via 3.5mm jack.
I verified that 3.5mm jack works by playing a mp3 directly using mplayer command.

Is there a different way I could achieve this?
I am all set.
I setup volumio.

My current setup is,
volumio (free version) running on raspberry 2 model B.
Audio out from pi is taken from 3.5mm jack and goes to (via a very long custom cable made of cat5 ethernet cable) a remote kit (so that I can select different inputs and also volume control).
Line out from remote kit goes to diy 120w x 2 stereo amplifier.

Overall this setup works well, I can play my mp3 collection, stream songs from YouTube etc.

Will adding a HIFI DAC+ Sound Card With I2S Port For Raspberry Pi to pi make any considerable improvement?

My current setup is,
Audio out from pi is taken from 3.5mm jack and goes to (via a very long custom cable made of cat5 ethernet cable) a remote kit (so that I can select different inputs and also volume control).

Overall this setup works well, I can play my mp3 collection, stream songs from YouTube etc.

Will adding a HIFI DAC+ Sound Card With I2S Port For Raspberry Pi to pi make any considerable improvement?
3.5mm audio out of raspberry pi is a serious downgrade on quality. Anything you add as mentioned above will get far better audio. I am not using the above HAT you mentioned, but a different HAT with same dac chip which is really good. Make sure it's been supported on raspberry pi 2B.

My current setup is,

Short Answer : yes !
The inadequacy of the RPI's onboard sound is well documented. You should definitely add a DAC to the chain

3.5mm audio out of raspberry pi is a serious downgrade on quality. Anything you add as mentioned above will get far better audio. I am not using the above HAT you mentioned, but a different HAT with same dac chip which is really good. Make sure it's been supported on raspberry pi 2B.
Are you able to link DAC HAT you are using ?
Is it Raspberry PI IQaudio DAC+ this seems to support all models of pi. I have pi 4 too.

Are you able to link DAC HAT you are using ?
Is it Raspberry PI IQaudio DAC+ this seems to support all models of pi. I have pi 4 too.
I am using Allo Boss v1.2 dac hat which they stopped and replaced with Boss2. Boss2 using a different dac chip, said to be superior to the older version.
There is one Ustars dac hat making lot of noise nowadays, you can check that also.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back