My third build: Swope MTM version by Mr. Paul Carmody

The damping material is sheep wool felt or something different, whats the thickness of same & what was the cost?

The damping material is sheep wool felt or something different, whats the thickness of same & what was the cost?
Yes, it is wool felt thickness 10mm, the seller calls it Acoustic Eco felt, 1.5 X 3 meter costs me 1.5k.

I have completed the enclosure and fixed the drivers too. Initially, when I listened to it, I felt like something is missing in HF. Then I checked the wiring and found one of the tweeter polarities has been reversed. I fixed that now it sounds good.

For the finishing, I am planning to do laminate with 0.8mm mica. If there are better ideas, please comment.

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-22 at 9.40.19 PM.jpeg

I have completed the enclosure and fixed the drivers too. Initially, when I listened to it, I felt like something is missing in HF. Then I checked the wiring and found one of the tweeter polarities has been reversed. I fixed that now it sounds good.

For the finishing, I am planning to do laminate with 0.8mm mica. If there are better ideas, please comment.

View attachment 57281

View attachment 57281
Nice build. Appreciate your passion and interest in DIY speakers. It is not an easy job to do wood work unless you have skill, good tools and off course a open yard or shed which can take care of all the mess and dust.

Nice build. Appreciate your passion and interest in DIY speakers. It is not an easy job to do wood work unless you have skill, good tools and off course a open yard or shed which can take care of all the mess and dust.
Thank you Mahaprasad, I am developing the skill and the tools (cutter, router, and driller) it is not professional, but can do the job.

Wow very nice looking there @Jeanpher, one suggestion is put the crossover components on a 5-7mm thick wooden board and fasten them after you feel that everything is working fine and there is no need to tweak any of the parts. And then put hot glue underneath all the parts or fasten using zip ties. I would prefer hot glue much better and no issues of damage during transportation.

Thanks

View attachment 57281
Hi Jeanpher, beautiful speakers. What finish did you finally use on the speakers. Request you to kindly post pics of finished speakers.
Best wishes.

Hi Jeanpher, beautiful speakers. What finish did you finally use on the speakers. Request you to kindly post pics of finished speakers.
Best wishes.
I did laminate, and got busy, didn't get the time to put the drivers back. I Will update soon with pics.

Thank you

Hello Everyone,

Finally, I could take some time to finish my speakers, I used Virgo 0.8 mm Laminate and it looks good. I tried to match the pattern from side to side and it came good. If you see in detail there will be minor amateur mistakes but overall I am happy with the finish.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.10 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.10 PM.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 99
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.13 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.13 PM.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 101
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.08 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.08 PM.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 94
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.08 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.08 PM (1).jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 97
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.12 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.50.12 PM.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 98
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.58.27 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-07-29 at 4.58.27 PM.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 98
Hello Everyone,

Finally, I could take some time to finish my speakers, I used Virgo 0.8 mm Laminate and it looks good. I tried to match the pattern from side to side and it came good. If you see in detail there will be minor amateur mistakes but overall I am happy with the finish.
Looks really good.. :)

Hello Everyone,

Congrats Jean , Looks really cool

Yes, it is wool felt thickness 10mm, the seller calls it Acoustic Eco felt, 1.5 X 3 meter costs me 1.5k.
Firstly congratulations on your third build. I'm in the planning stage of my first build.

I have a question thought. What is the GSM of the felt and where did you source it?

Last edited:
Firstly congratulations on your third build. I'm in the planning stage of my first build.

I have a question thought. What is the GSM of the felt and where did you source it?

Thank you,
Sorry I don't know the GSM, its called Acoustic eco felt 10 mm, I have taken it from National Inductrial co, Chennai.
1628434013231.png
1628434037227.png
I hope this helps..

Regards
Jean

Well done Jeanpher. Any more impressions about sound quality ?
regards
addition : earlier you said you were going to buy good router. Which did you buy ? are they easy to work with ?

Last edited:
Well done Jeanpher. Any more impressions about sound quality ?
regards
addition : earlier you said you were going to buy good router. Which did you buy ? are they easy to work with ?
I didn't get enough time to listen to it after finishing it, It did sound very good, the only issue is I need to crank up the volume over 60 % to get into sing with enough db, which I am aware of from the designer's note.

Yes I did buy Endico PARA12FLR router, Easy? I don't know but for beginners like me no!! palm router would have been a better choice to learn.

I have also bought an Endico PARA12TRP. I am researching bits. For my build I need chamfer, round over and flush trim bits.

What is the company name of the bits you used? Any tips , warnings that you might have.
How difficult was it to manage chamfering HDF? I will be chamfering 18mm thickness. Looks like its HDHMR at the moment.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back