My Top Ten Albums...

Hi Hiten,

I had posted a reply yesterday but it does not seem to have made it here so here I go again...

The vocals in CCR are by John Fogerty and you should check out his solo album Revival.

b88a53a09da07ccf4c185110.L.jpg

Roy Orbison has amazing vocals and a couple more vocalists I can suggest for you to check out are Al Green and Marvin Gaye. Please note though that they are soul singers and not rock/rock'n'roll, but great vocals nevertheless.

51iOe6aVw1L._SS500_.jpg

51u4LYmtHsL._SS500_.jpg

Hi Moserw
Heard CCR, liked the voice of the singer (dont know his name) but comparatively I liked Roy orbison. Amazing voice and music.Thanks for recommedation. will explore other artists in "right now I am listening to" thread
BTW You have a great collection. Nice to know you like Donna Summers.
Regards
Hiten

Hello Moserw
When I heard him I knew he (John Fogerty) has good voice. Searched wikipedia for info on John fogerty and felt just a little bit proud of my ears. In early years there was infighting (He wanted his way of functioning) in the group at one point he says "My voice is my instrument"
Had Al Green Vinyl few months back gave it to a person. and for Marvin Gaye I have 12" Vinyl Single "Sexual Healing"
Just stumbled upon Group "Rockwell" had a cassette and have 12" Single Vinyl of "Somebodys watching me (Very Groovy No.)" He had only three albums to his credit. First Album "Somebodys watching me" has few good songs like, Knife, Taxman & Foreign Country. Have Second vinyl Album "Captured" but only liked one song "Peeping Tom"
Speaking of "Good Voice" I like Phil Collins, George Michael, Tom Jones (But he sang mostly Cover Versions), UB40 Lead Singer, Depche mode, Alison Moyet etc.
Regards

b4bb828fd7a0384702c03110.L.jpg

Some of the best pop/soul music you will come across. A great album to have in any collection.

2 more guys you should listen to [if not heard already] are:
1. Glenn Frey from the Eagles. His solo albums were good. A personal favorite number WAS "You Belong to the City" from the absolutely edgy TV series "Miami Vice"
2. Don Henley also from the Eagles.

I also remember with a lot of nostalgia - Huey Lewis and the News [remember them?]

Hi Moserw
Sorry for late reply. I was out of town for few days.

Yes as I am primarily a vinyl fan. I do have simply red's Men and women + Picture book Album and 12 inch singles of Holding back the years, Money is to tight to mention, The right thing. will check out Andrea Bocelli. As you have recommended he must be good.

Only knowledge of glen and don is There hit single Heat is on and All she wants to do is dance. my Absolute favourite.
Huey Lewis ---- I just love this group desparately trying to get sports album in vinyl. (good voice)
regards

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

GNR - Appetite for Destruction

Pink Floyd - DSOTM

The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Interesting list

I'll confine myself to artistes, rather than best albums

Cat Stevens
Blood Sweat & Tears
Booker T & The MGs
CCR
CSNY
Simon & Garfunkel
Bela Fleck
Fleetwood Mac
Phish
Stevie Wonder

Jose Feliciano(Saw him live in Bangalore last year-fabulous)

I'm a huge fan of female vocals

Eva Cassidy-esp Songbird
Joni Mitchell
Carol King
Carly Simon
Paula Cole
Robert Flack
Bette Midler
Laurie MacAllister
Diana Krall
Carmen McRae
Alannis Morisette

Grover Washington
David Sanborn
Weather Report
Earl Klugh
Chick Correa
Herbie Hancoc
Dizzy Gillespie
John Coltrane
Richard Clayderman
Sonny Rollins
Toshiko Akiyoshi + Lew Tabaccan

George

Warren Hill - La Dolce Vita

Mark Knopfler - shangrila

George Benson - Anthology (2CD)

Dave Koz - Greatest Hits

Acoustic Alchemy - The Very Best of Acoustic Alchemy

Pat Metheny Group - Still Life (Talking)

Hits Of - a-Ha (take me on)

Micheal Jackson - cant say any album, depends on mood

Prem joshua- Ahir

last but not the least:

Various Artists - Armada lounge:eek:hyeah: , :D Trance anthems:eek:hyeah: , Some hip hops :D and god knows wat all

Have not updated this thread in a while, but interestingly updates exist.

@TechHead - I have all the albums you've mentioned, yes every single one of them barring The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed and Paranoid - Black Sabbath. Never got around to listen to the Stones except a few songs and never really liked Ozzy (a bit too weird to my liking).

You should check out some of The Moody Blues, awesome band!

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

The Beatles - Sergeant Pepper

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

GNR - Appetite for Destruction

Pink Floyd - DSOTM

The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta

Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA

Paranoid - Black Sabbath

Hi George,

A list is great, but the point of this thread was to recommend artists and/or albums that others could discover (personally I'm always on the lookout for artists I've not heard before). That's why I asked for the best album (not necessary that it's the best) but what would you recommend someone like me start off with since I've no idea if I will like that particular artist and it's just not possible to purchase multiple CDs and then there is always the chance of starting off with the wrong album.

For instance from your huge list of artists I've never heard Booker T & The MGs, Bela Fleck, Phish, Eva Cassidy, Laurie MacAllister, Carmen McRae, Grover Washington, David Sanborn, Earl Klugh, Sonny Rollins, Toshiko Akiyoshi + Lew Tabaccan. What would you recommend I start off with here? The usual suspects like Greatest Hits/Best Of or any particular album that showcases the artist in question.

Hope you don't mind friend!

Interesting list

I'll confine myself to artistes, rather than best albums

Cat Stevens
Blood Sweat & Tears
Booker T & The MGs
CCR
CSNY
Simon & Garfunkel
Bela Fleck
Fleetwood Mac
Phish
Stevie Wonder

Jose Feliciano(Saw him live in Bangalore last year-fabulous)

I'm a huge fan of female vocals

Eva Cassidy-esp Songbird
Joni Mitchell
Carol King
Carly Simon
Paula Cole
Robert Flack
Bette Midler
Laurie MacAllister
Diana Krall
Carmen McRae
Alannis Morisette

Grover Washington
David Sanborn
Weather Report
Earl Klugh
Chick Correa
Herbie Hancoc
Dizzy Gillespie
John Coltrane
Richard Clayderman
Sonny Rollins
Toshiko Akiyoshi + Lew Tabaccan

George

Warren Hill - La Dolce Vita

Mark Knopfler - shangrila

George Benson - Anthology (2CD)

Dave Koz - Greatest Hits

Acoustic Alchemy - The Very Best of Acoustic Alchemy

Pat Metheny Group - Still Life (Talking)

Hits Of - a-Ha (take me on)

Micheal Jackson - cant say any album, depends on mood

Prem joshua- Ahir

last but not the least:

Various Artists - Armada lounge:eek:hyeah: , :D Trance anthems:eek:hyeah: , Some hip hops :D and god knows wat all

Hi panxe,

Thanks for sharing. Have not heard Warren Hill and I'm personally not much into jazz, but I'll give this album a try. Love Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits and have each and every album by them. Have the exact same album by George Benson. A-Ha's Take On Me is a personal favorite of mine and I have their "The Singles" album which I can recommend as it's loaded with their hits. MJ again I have all of his albums, even quite a few of his childhood ones.

I will also go ahead and order Dave Koz - Greatest Hits, Acoustic Alchemy - The Very Best of Acoustic Alchemy, and Pat Metheny Group - Still Life (Talking). I'm not really into classical music so I will see if I can borrow Prem Joshua or have a listen and then take a call on ordering some of his work.

I'm not too much into trance and lounge music, but do listen to a fair bit of Robert Miles and Thievery Corporation in that genre. Can recommend Robert Miles - Dreamland album, its one of my favorites.

@ moserw - nice to see ppl with same taste..

"give me the night" by george ben my all time..

aha and mj awsome

dave koz, warrenhill, acoustic alchemy and pat. all wonderful players..

prem joshua is kinda world fusion, i tried some of his other albums, but i liked ahir very much,

again trance n lounge - i don know, but sometimes i need them.

fable and children, no one can forget...

Thievery Corporation - i will try listenin.. thanks man...

cheers
panxe

well in my 35 odd years of musical journey which started with rock and hindustani classical has veered to jazz and dhrupad now .however ----
1)allan holdsworth -against the clock (a great compilation)
2)john coltrane -a love supreme
3)jeff beck-jan hammer -live
4)return to forever-romantic warrior
5)eric johnson -a via musicom
6)weather report-heavy weather
7)eric clapton -just one night
8)george benson-weekend in LA
9)sting-bring on the night
10)al di meola-electric rendezvous
well,these albums were notable but allan holdsworth and john coltrane have changed my view of looking at music.
cheers

@ moserw - nice to see ppl with same taste..

Lots of people here with similar tastes.

"give me the night" by george ben my all time..

This is one awesome song. Cannot remember the number of times I've blasted it. Only wish I could dance as well!

dave koz, warrenhill, acoustic alchemy and pat. all wonderful players..

prem joshua is kinda world fusion, i tried some of his other albums, but i liked ahir very much,

again trance n lounge - i don know, but sometimes i need them.

fable and children, no one can forget...

Thievery Corporation - i will try listenin.. thanks man...

cheers
panxe

Have ordered a couple of Dave Koz and Warren Hill. Thievery Corp. is one of my favorites. Not too loud, but great foot tapping music. If lounge music is your scene then do check them out, real good stuff.

well in my 35 odd years of musical journey which started with rock and hindustani classical has veered to jazz and dhrupad now .however ----
1)allan holdsworth -against the clock (a great compilation)
2)john coltrane -a love supreme
3)jeff beck-jan hammer -live
4)return to forever-romantic warrior
5)eric johnson -a via musicom
6)weather report-heavy weather
7)eric clapton -just one night
8)george benson-weekend in LA
9)sting-bring on the night
10)al di meola-electric rendezvous
well,these albums were notable but allan holdsworth and john coltrane have changed my view of looking at music.
cheers

Hi Himadri and thanks so much for sharing.

I've never heard Allan Holdsworth, Return To Forever, Eric Johnson, & Al Di Meola, will certainly check out the albums you've listed.

The others, I do have John Coltrane's Priceless Jazz, Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow, Jeff, Wired (all recommended), Weather Report's Heavy Weather, Eric Clapton's all albums and ditto for Mark Knopfler, and if you like them both then you should check out J.J. Cale who is very much in that mold, George Benson again I have most of his albums, Sting I don't really follow much lately, but do have most of his Police days work.

I do note from your recommendations that you are very much into jazz (a genre I don't follow very much). I'm more into rock music and especially classic rock at least at present, but who knows about the future. There were days when I used to listen to Madonna a lot but not anymore. Even most of my metal days of Metallica, AC/DC, Van Halen, and Iron Maiden are behind me though I have most of their albums. Maybe jazz in the future...

Once again thanks very much for sharing!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back