My tryst with analog begins... bought home a Pro-Ject Debu-III

Congrats on the purchase John, nothing can beat watching your favorite music being churned out of the record!! Contact our FM kuruvila who is also from kottayam, he can help you out with any kind of records..
Happy Listening!

I see Lyrita in your signature. Where did you pick it? Could you get an audition anywhere in Bangalore.

I was looking for a Acoustic Portrait Pre (tube) and Power combo for my stereo setup. The dealer who sold me Pro-Ject recommended me to look at Jolida tube integrated amp. The only issue with Jolida is a that its only 45W/channel. I need to get a very high sensitivity speakers to go with it. Something in the level of Zu Audion.

I heard Lyrita at Viren's place itself. Had multiple auditions over the last 5-6 years before taking the plunge.

With 45wpc, don't think you need very sensitive speakers, most speakers with the exception of the really power hungry ones would be driven easily with that power. BTW, the 6C33C SET that I have churns out 10wpc.

I heard Lyrita at Viren's place itself. Had multiple auditions over the last 5-6 years before taking the plunge.

With 45wpc, don't think you need very sensitive speakers, most speakers with the exception of the really power hungry ones would be driven easily with that power. BTW, the 6C33C SET that I have churns out 10wpc.

Cool. So did you bring it along with you to Bangalore or Viren couriered it you from Delhi to Bangalore?

-John.

He'll pack them like a tank and ship them via surface...no trouble with that but I'd suggest you hear them before making your choice. See if some FM here in Bangalore has these and request for an audition. In fact, it would not be a waste of your time and money if you make a trip to Delhi to check them out.

Let me know if you want to check out my 6C33C...

Happy to see you happy :)
I dont think the project phono box is better than the in built phono of your Denon amp. Is a refund possible ?

John,

Congrats on your purchase.

I had picked up the TT offered by Jituji on this forum and am waiting for my Lyritas (Phono, 2A3 SET amp and Harmony One speakers) from Virenji.

They should be available for an audition in Bangalore around begining August when I will be there.

You can also contact Stevieboy on this forum who has Lyritas, but I vaguely remember reading that his stuff has been sent for upgrade recently.

Happy to see you happy :)
I dont think the project phono box is better than the in built phono of your Denon amp. Is a refund possible ?

Dr.Bass,

I did find a difference in sound with Pro-Ject phono box, but not significant. The highs and mids have become more clearer. But I felt the Bass has come down. May be because of the increase in the highs and mids. Few of the FMs asked me to burn in the cart to get a better bass response. So I am waiting for that.

BTW, I am planning to keep this phono box as I am going to try out the Lyrita stereo integrated amp + Lyrita Amity speakers. I just had a chat with Virenji and he said the integrated amp doesn't have a phono stage built in. I think then this Pro-Ject phono stage would come handy.

However I will upgrade this setup as soon as the next upgrade bug bites me :D. Till then I think I will go with this basic setup.

-John.

John,

Congrats on your purchase.

I had picked up the TT offered by Jituji on this forum and am waiting for my Lyritas (Phono, 2A3 SET amp and Harmony One speakers) from Virenji.

They should be available for an audition in Bangalore around begining August when I will be there.

You can also contact Stevieboy on this forum who has Lyritas, but I vaguely remember reading that his stuff has been sent for upgrade recently.

Thanks.

I just had a chat with Virenji and he said he will pass on the numbers of couple of ppl in Bangalore who has got the setup I am looking for. I am looking for the the following - Amity Speakers + 845 SET
Single ended integrated amplifier (15 watts/channel).

Virenji said there is a new amp that can produce 20w/ch and he said he will send me the specs for the same.

I am really looking forward to audition Lyrita somewhere in bangalore as I have heard lots of rave reviews about Lyrita :).

-John.

see if Viren can include phono in the integrated amp - maybe by increasing chassis size. Since he makes all the stuff by hand, it may JUST be possible.

first identify your weak link for bass. use a different source to check if bass remains low with cds/cassettes too change ur speaker cables/ics. if bass remains low with lps but good with cds etc. only then fiddle with cart~phono.

Good Point. I am running the Denon on PureDirect mode when connected to the Phono. With the same PureDirect mode playing CDs produce slightly better bass but not big. I also use a subwoofer with the setup and configured it to "double bass" setup as I have set my front speakers to "large". I tried my front speakers - Kef iQ7 to "small" first and I didn't like the sound. So I set them back to "large".

However I do get some bass from the phono when I set the Denon to stereo mode where the audessey equalization and other DSPs are added to the sound. I don't like that sound at all. Its not at all natural/neutral. Really feels like something artificial is added to the music. However some of my friends liked that sound and said it sounded more dynamic or live. However I like a slightly laid back/warm sound. So pure direct mode sounds okay to me.

I think I should get my stereo amp and then try the phono setup through it. I have lined up some tube amps for audition. The items in my list are Lyrita, Acoustic Portrait and Jolida.

-John.

hi,

if you want you can try my lyrita phono pre for couple of days...

regards
venu

Hey Venu,

I really appreciate you help. I would actually like to know from you the performance of Acoustic Portrait per-power setup as I am looking at a tube setup. BTW, what is the spec for the AP speakers you have? I am planning for an audition of AP in the coming weekend.

I already got the Pro-Ject MM phono box pre amp. I would like to use that. But with a tube pre-power/ tube integrated amp.

BTW, how is the bass response from your Debu III? Also how long did it take for Debu III to break in and open up?

-John.

Hi,

I have the AP PM1 tube pre and CPA3 200w/Ch mosfet SS dual mono power amp. Both are their ref series. Speakers are custom made MTM config with scanspeak drivers.

I have modified my Debut III with Cardas torn arm cable and replaced the cart with Ortofon 2MRed. I think it took a long time to break-in. Since I do not have many lps, the usage is limited...

Are you going to AP for an audition? If so you can have preview of their own new speakers!

Regards,
Venu

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back