My tryst with analog begins... bought home a Pro-Ject Debu-III

Saw your pictures in another thread, and commented that, if I were you, I would not stand the TT on a carpet, due to the necessity that it be perfectly level and firm.

Glad you are enjoying your new deck :)

Actually the TT is sitting on top of my VCR :). The VCR is on the carpet and TT is on it. I didn't get a rack as I will be moving to my new home in 4-5 months and I have a dedicated Home Theater room there. I thought of waiting till I move into the new house before buying the TT. But, as I said, I auditioned the TT and fell in love with it and immediately bought it :D.

Dr.Bass,

I did find a difference in sound with Pro-Ject phono box, but not significant. The highs and mids have become more clearer. But I felt the Bass has come down. May be because of the increase in the highs and mids. Few of the FMs asked me to burn in the cart to get a better bass response. So I am waiting for that.

BTW, I am planning to keep this phono box as I am going to try out the Lyrita stereo integrated amp + Lyrita Amity speakers. I just had a chat with Virenji and he said the integrated amp doesn't have a phono stage built in. I think then this Pro-Ject phono stage would come handy.

However I will upgrade this setup as soon as the next upgrade bug bites me :D. Till then I think I will go with this basic setup.

-John.

1. Cartridge burn in is not really going to increase the bass. It helps in improving the flow of the music and somewhat improving the micro dynamics. Most of the other things remain the same.

2. Phonostage is the most important electronic equipment in the chain. Spend on it even if it means you compromise on the amp. I suggest get something like a Trigon Vanguard. You will not need to upgrade it for a long time.

The Pro-Ject phono is really a very mediocre product, hence the advice.

John,

I have the ortofon om5e and when I first played it, it sounded very light almost like a toy. Bass will develop after enough playing and overall things will smoothen out.

Regards

DHT - Direct to Heart Tube

Hi Jhon,
one thing is a must do with Project debut III is change the stock interconnect with a well shielded interconnect. I have changed mine from the stock to audio art interconnect and it has improved the overall performance. It is a must do in my opinion in a project debut III table. I won't bother too much about cartridge choice in such a basic table but one must make sure that the cartridge is properly fitted. Ortonfon 2m red or Shure Mx47 can improve things a bit but nothing special. It is decent to table to get used to analogue. Have fun.
Thanks.

Welcome to the analog world. After seeing those pictures, you might want to keep that turntable directly on the floor and some way off from the speakers. You may end with feedback from the speakers when kept this close.

John,

I have the ortofon om5e and when I first played it, it sounded very light almost like a toy. Bass will develop after enough playing and overall things will smoothen out.

Regards

DHT - Direct to Heart Tube

That's a great news for me. I will wait for the cart to open up. BTW, how long did it take for you to get the om5e to really open up?

Hi John,

I don't really remember but give it a month or two. I wasn't that regular with play so it took a while.

Regards

My Shure M44-7 started to sound very smooth after about 30 hours of playing but it still retains its primary traits.

Of late I have been through two new cartridges. In my experience, even in initial listening one can make out the characteristics of the cartridge. For example, when I was trying out Shure V15 III, I could make out right away that it has better upper high frequency extension (compared to the M97xE that I was using).

Similarly, when I changed to Denon DL160, the first couple of tracks sounded rubbish but by the end of the side, the sound had improved drastically and one could hear much better mids and highs (compared to the V15). The performance then plateau-ed at that level for quite some time - may be upto 20-25 hours. Post 30 hours, things get real mellow:)

Moral of the story: don't write off a cartridge before it puts in at least 50 hours.

I have a set of 9 records now :). Just started collecting

1. Confluence Piano & Santoor
2. Kal Ho Na Ho
3. Hum Kisise Kam Nahin
4. RaOne
5. Malayalam hits from Jesudas
6. Abba
7. Thriller (MJ)
8. CID (old hindi movie)
9. Rajkapoor Hits

Playing all the above back to back :D. Will start hunting for more records soon.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back