my vintage jbl L100T cabinet build

thanks, actually i had JBL 100T with T3 crossovoers,so i used the same crossover. i had only one set of speakers.i am planning to veneering with walnut finish.need to purchase them eBay UK.
originally both speakers are not symmetrical,they are mirror imaged.

Nice work on the enclosures!

Interesting...
your signature also shows T3, but you are rebuilding T cabinets with T3 Xovers... do you have both the models, and trying to modify/upgrade 100T?
From what I read basic difference is cabinet construction and crossover points... all the drivers being same. Veneer finish is desirable to retain that vintage look.
Anyways, making them sound better seems to be the objective here...:)

Do you anticipate any negative effect from modding the baffle size and driver alignment/positioning? after all the crossover must have been designed taking baffle also into consideration.
Apart from this did you notice both the original speakers are symmetrical!
I am no big fan of symmetrical speakers personally... Krell must be trying to overcome this by redesigning them as symmetrically asymmetric enclosures..;)

thanks, actually i had JBL 100T with T3 crossovoers,so i used the same crossover. i had only one set of speakers.i am planning to veneering with walnut finish.need to purchase them eBay UK.
originally both speakers are not symmetrical,they are mirror imaged.

Found this image similar to what you have posted, but the model mentioned is different...
Google Image Result for http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/833296-jbl-l80t3-speakers-great-sound-beautiful-cabinetsrestoredmoded.jpg

So, they have a mirror image version too... any pictures?
I don't care how good a speaker sounds, if they are not mirrored pair...
It is actually more of a visual thing for me but non mirrored speakers don't image correctly either.

L80T3 AND L100T3 Crossover is same as well as all drivers except the woofer is 10" against 12"in L100T3

Found this image similar to what you have posted, but the model mentioned is different...
Google Image Result for http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/833296-jbl-l80t3-speakers-great-sound-beautiful-cabinetsrestoredmoded.jpg

So, they have a mirror image version too... any pictures?
I don't care how good a speaker sounds, if they are not mirrored pair...
It is actually more of a visual thing for me but non mirrored speakers don't image correctly either.

Those JBL's have come out very nice, congrats on a well laid out plan and build execution. It shows that their is lots of planning gone behind the speakers :clapping:

Wowee, awesome.
The L100T dimensions are a bit smaller than these right ?
Anyway, you used MDF ? why not plywood or wood ?
Also you put the mids in the middle, same as L100T, putting tweeter in the middle can help dispersion (of course if can also increase the height you have to lift it to get above the furniture and help it stage better)

I am of late itching to build a few speaker cabs, there is atleast 1 open baffle MTM in my near future and likely a cab or 2 for various speakers for which I have components already.
Cool.
Srinath.

:)hi, here mdf is easily available hence mdf was used.
all the best for your future project.

Wowee, awesome.
The L100T dimensions are a bit smaller than these right ?
Anyway, you used MDF ? why not plywood or wood ?
Also you put the mids in the middle, same as L100T, putting tweeter in the middle can help dispersion (of course if can also increase the height you have to lift it to get above the furniture and help it stage better)

I am of late itching to build a few speaker cabs, there is atleast 1 open baffle MTM in my near future and likely a cab or 2 for various speakers for which I have components already.
Cool.
Srinath.

In my area MDF is almost as $$$ as baltic birch finished plywood. OK its like 80% of the $, and MDF is a lot heavier. Would make a 50lb cabinet into a 100 lb cab. If I need a 100 lb cab, I'd prefer to put a brick in the bottom of the 50 lb one.
Cool.
Srinath.

Put the grilles on and then who cares as long as they sound good. Ultimately that is all that matters. At least for me.

Is it 'grill' or 'grille'?... methinks you are correct :)

For me... a speaker grille is a necessary evil: I always keep them on when not listening and take them off while listening...
sad, can't do it with my maggies though :sad:

You can always leave the grilles in place if the speakers look a bit rubbish with the grilles off.:rolleyes:

Each to their own, but I love the look of speakers unveiled for aesthetic reasons... the more industrial looking and mirror imaged the better! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Krell

Damn good looking cabinets, hope you are likely be building something that will sound as good...
may I request you to design removable grilles. ;)

Best with build and have fun!
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...100t3 ts.pdf
1970-1999 HOME SPEAKER LIST

Speaker grilles make a speaker look like it was manufactured in a factory IMHO instead of home made. I've rounded up a few speakers with bad drivers or cheap crappy components but with good grilles in the size I need as a grille donor. Same with crossover panels.
Cool.
Srinath.

thanks a lot for your comments. i am not having enough knowledge to design a speaker with given components.
i am just a learner.i just followed a successful design,with same internal volume and same port except the mirror image.
in the cabinet making process i accidentally got lesser volume than the required volume.but it got a big plus for me.
now there is no boom in the bass region.i am getting very enjoyable bass:lol:
regarding imaging of speakers, the L100T is not well known for best image, the same follows now also.
i think the new cabs looks more better than old cabs for my eyes and they sound little better than before.
one more time thanks for your supporting comments.:)

Is it 'grill' or 'grille'?... methinks you are correct :)

For me... a speaker grille is a necessary evil: I always keep them on when not listening and take them off while listening...
sad, can't do it with my maggies though :sad:

You can always leave the grilles in place if the speakers look a bit rubbish with the grilles off.:rolleyes:

Each to their own, but I love the look of speakers unveiled for aesthetic reasons... the more industrial looking and mirror imaged the better! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Krell

Damn good looking cabinets, hope you are likely be building something that will sound as good...
may I request you to design removable grilles. ;)

Best with build and have fun!
http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Te...100t3 ts.pdf
1970-1999 HOME SPEAKER LIST

hi you are correct, now the cabinet weighs 39kgs, the original cab is only 30kg.
here we are not getting baltic birch plywood.
if we ask them, they will treat us like aliens:).so i stick with easily available MDF.

In my area MDF is almost as $$$ as baltic birch finished plywood. OK its like 80% of the $, and MDF is a lot heavier. Would make a 50lb cabinet into a 100 lb cab. If I need a 100 lb cab, I'd prefer to put a brick in the bottom of the 50 lb one.
Cool.
Srinath.

Last edited:
hi you are correct, now the cabinet weighs 39kgs, the original cab is only 30kg.
here we are not getting baltic birch plywood.
if we ask them, they will treat us like aliens:).so i stick with easily available MDF.

30% more weight than an L100 - man you really went overboard.

Void free plywood or any other wood would have done the trick as well.

However MDF is acoustically dead, guaranteed. I just have a dislike for it after I ran across a few cabinets that were beginning to disintegrate after exposure to water.

Cool.
Srinath.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back