My vinyl journey has started

welcome canchi....I can see a considerable amount of bangaloreans getting hooked to vinyl...
cheers,
abhraneel

Thanks all for those kind words. Am now in the process of upgrading the stylus. Can't seem to find an Indian source for the stylus for the M55E Shure cart. Reading through the forum, it appears that some would suggest a change in the cart and stylus as a whole......

ery3y6ej.jpg

jyhu6uze.jpg

Hi, you can get shure cart and stylus from this gentleman.

Name Jerry, mob no 9820901941. He is from Mumbai.

Also one Sasi kumar from Chennai for AT carts. His mob no is 9840496860.

No affiliation with these sellers.

The current cart and stylus that I am using is a budget cart from amazon UK- the Altai HL - HM 160, does sing quite well though. I bought the N 44-7 stylus from Bajaao.com after learning from the net that it would fit the M55E Shure cart that came with the TT. The bass is great but am getting a hum with this cart on that is not there with the Altai cart. The hum starts immediately upon switching on the TT, without the platter rotating . How do I correct this?

pyny4a3y.jpg

4y2ytyvy.jpg

e2yqyhav.jpg

denavahu.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all for those encouraging words. Nothing can be more encouraging and serve as an impetus for my new hobby than this real life incident that happened to me last week- Visited my cousin last week and got around to talking about the TT I had just bought. Lo and behold, her hubby disappears into his room and comes back with a stack of LPs saying " Here, take this set of records, I don't have a use for them, but I'm sure you would! " It was an eclectic set with some rare Jim Reeves and Carpenters LPs together with old Malayalam film songs from a very young Yesudas! I thanked them both profusely and there-in was off to a running start with respect to my record collecting ways.

pa8yqe8u.jpg
etubu5u9.jpg
qu5aduza.jpg
3eqe4esu.jpg

Got quite a few Lps like this, from Uncles & long lost friends. Welcome to the pure analog world of vinyl mate....

How much did you pay for N-44 stylus? M55e is a better cart IMHO,and also stylus eliptical vs spherical. JICO option is much better.I have used this cart with same JICO stylus,and I liked it very much.One of my friend and FM here is still use this combo. His other carts are M97xe,Denon Dl-103 etc.

Regards,
Sachin

How much did you pay for N-44 stylus? M55e is a better cart IMHO,and also stylus eliptical vs spherical. JICO option is much better.I have used this cart with same JICO stylus,and I liked it very much.One of my friend and FM here is still use this combo. His other carts are M97xe,Denon Dl-103 etc.

Regards,
Sachin

Rs 1750, from bajaao.com ( original shure stylus, made in Mexico! ).
Have a problem with a humming noise on this cart , the m55e, that is not there with the budget Altai cart. Any ideas on that? The hum is present even when the platter is not spinning. I suspect the m55e ( an old cart, that came with the TT) to be the source of the hum. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Rs 1750, from bajaao.com ( original shure stylus, made in Mexico! ).
Have a problem with a humming noise on this cart , the m55e, that is not there with the budget Altai cart. Any ideas on that? The hum is present even when the platter is not spinning. I suspect the m55e ( an old cart, that came with the TT) to be the source of the hum. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Cheers

I suspect your cart as you don't have any problem with another one.Did you face same problem earlier with M55e using stylus came with it?

Regards
Sachin

I suspect your cart as you don't have any problem with another one.Did you face same problem earlier with M55e using stylus came with it?

Regards

Sachin

That was in bad shape when it reached me and hence the change in stylus. Guess I should go for a new cart and see how that helps !
Cheers

hey, this is interesting, is the N44-7 stylus a universal one (from a shure perspective)? will it work with M70B? any idea?

Not sure about that. I looked at several websites including the Shure support site and most if them said that the N44-7 stylus could be used with the M55E cart.
What are your thoughts about the humming sound ?
Cheers.

Are you swapping carts on the same headshell or do you have separate headshells? Humming noise can be caused if (1) the headshell leads are not making proper contact with the headshell connector pins or the cart pins, (2) if the headshell does not fit properly into the tonearm headshell socket, (3) your cart is wired incorrectly and (4) if your cart is faulty (this is assuming that your TT is properly grounded as the other cart works fine). If you are using the same headshell and swapping carts, check if you are wiring the cart correctly (Shure pin congifuration is different from others). Here is a typical example of the shure pin configuration:

m91e-wiring.JPG

If your pin configuration is correct, and the wiring and circuit is perfect, then you may have a faulty cart (with open internal wiring)

Last edited:
I have seen two instances where N44-7 stylus was fitted to some other cartridge. It works in that they make almost agreeable sound. But in both instances the VTAs were very wrong.

Bought a vintage turntable, the Studio Standard by Fisher, Direct Drive, Model MT 6225 from Shafic to embark upon my vinyl journey. Have hooked up the turntable to my stereo listening system with the Marantz PM 6004 amp and the KEF Q 300 bookshelves.

gyby5eja.jpg

anyjyvu6.jpg
amu7u3yv.jpg

Sounds great, need to clean my LPs to get rid of the pops, otherwise everything is good!

Congrats and welcome to the world of analog...Collecting good music is the next task now so that you can enjoy your system regularly :clapping:

In between, cleaning may not remove all the cracks and pops you hear from the old LPs they are just like that ! but when it starts singing the pops drops to the background and usually not intrusive

Are you swapping carts on the same headshell or do you have separate headshells?
If your pin configuration is correct, and the wiring and circuit is perfect, then you may have a faulty cart (with open internal wiring)

Am using separate headshells. Since there is no hum with the Altai cart, I guess it is the m55e cart that is at fault. :mad:

So, I bought a new cart, the Shure M44-7 and a new headshell , a Technics one from Amazon USA. The dreaded hum is back, starts on switching on the TT . Mind you , no hum still from the budget Altai cart! Also, when I tried out the new cart with the Marasim LP, the instruments sound is good but the vocals are barley audible. What is wrong here?
I did the usual stuff, float the tone arm , add a tracking force of 2.5, etc.....

reru9y6u.jpg
pyqyja2e.jpg

a2ujy4u3.jpg

Am using separate headshells. Since there is no hum with the Altai cart, I guess it is the m55e cart that is at fault. :mad:

Since you are using different heasshells, could be that the headshell with the Altai cart gets seated correctly on the tonearm mount where as the other headshells done (misaligned pins,etc..) Try running the humming headshells on some one else's TT or swap out the Altai cart with the new M44-7.

Since you are using different headshells, could be that the headshell with the Altai cart gets seated correctly on the tonearm mount where as the other headshells do not (misaligned pins,etc..) Try running the humming headshells on some one else's TT to see if problem follows or swap out the Altai cart with the new M44-7 to test again.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back