My vinyl journey has started

canchi

Bought a vintage turntable, the Studio Standard by Fisher, Direct Drive, Model MT 6225 from Shafic to embark upon my vinyl journey. Have hooked up the turntable to my stereo listening system with the Marantz PM 6004 amp and the KEF Q 300 bookshelves.

gyby5eja.jpg

anyjyvu6.jpg
amu7u3yv.jpg

Sounds great, need to clean my LPs to get rid of the pops, otherwise everything is good!

Bought a vintage turntable, the Studio Standard by Fisher, Direct Drive, Model MT 6225 from Shafic to embark upon my vinyl journey. Have hooked up the turntable to my stereo listening system with the Marantz PM 6004 amp and the KEF Q 300 bookshelves.

Sounds great, need to clean my LPs to get rid of the pops, otherwise everything is good!

A warm welcome to you. Have a nice listening time with Vinyls.

Thanks all for those encouraging words. Nothing can be more encouraging and serve as an impetus for my new hobby than this real life incident that happened to me last week- Visited my cousin last week and got around to talking about the TT I had just bought. Lo and behold, her hubby disappears into his room and comes back with a stack of LPs saying " Here, take this set of records, I don't have a use for them, but I'm sure you would! " It was an eclectic set with some rare Jim Reeves and Carpenters LPs together with old Malayalam film songs from a very young Yesudas! I thanked them both profusely and there-in was off to a running start with respect to my record collecting ways.

pa8yqe8u.jpg
etubu5u9.jpg
qu5aduza.jpg
3eqe4esu.jpg

Am in the process of cleaning my LPs, using the Malvai method, with a liquid containing 1 part of isopropyl alcohol added to 3 parts of aquaguard water with a few drops of Johnson baby shampoo. Am using microfibre cloth to clean the LPs, but still end up getting a few hisses and pops on playing the record. Am I doing anything wrong?

No dude, nothing wrong... Some records have a lot of static/ gunk deep in the grove... Just play them and clean them periodically, the gunk will dislodge in time.

Sometimes the groove itself is damaged and one gets a lot if crackle and pops... That one can do nothing about.

In fact in my experience, I have also had records that look all shiny, new and minty, but still play as if there is a lot of gunk in the groove!

By and by you will figure out which ones are responding to the cleaning and which ones are truly damaged.

Am in the process of cleaning my LPs, using the Malvai method, with a liquid containing 1 part of isopropyl alcohol added to 3 parts of aquaguard water with a few drops of Johnson baby shampoo. Am using microfibre cloth to clean the LPs, but still end up getting a few hisses and pops on playing the record. Am I doing anything wrong?

Ticks and Pops are a part of the vinyl experience. You cannot achieve 100% silence especially if you are using old vinyl. The Malvai method is simple but very effective. Last week, I clearned 2 extremely dirty records (they were thrown in the dust for many years) and got excellent results. Ticks and pops are not only because of dust but can also be due to surface scratches and abberations, groove wear, etc. If you have old vinyl which was used by an owner who used to cueue music, then there's a greater possibility that you'd hear these sounds, as well.

Thanks all for those encouraging words. Nothing can be more encouraging and serve as an impetus for my new hobby than this real life incident that happened to me last week- Visited my cousin last week and got around to talking about the TT I had just bought. Lo and behold, her hubby disappears into his room and comes back with a stack of LPs saying " Here, take this set of records, I don't have a use for them, but I'm sure you would! " It was an eclectic set with some rare Jim Reeves and Carpenters LPs together with old Malayalam film songs from a very young Yesudas! I thanked them both profusely and there-in was off to a running start with respect to my record collecting ways.

pa8yqe8u.jpg
etubu5u9.jpg
qu5aduza.jpg
3eqe4esu.jpg

This is the best way one can build a collection. Spread the word. In the 1960s and 1970s, records were the only way for most people in India, to listen to recorded music so there's definitely got to be loads of them hidden up in lofts and storage rooms. I have got more than half my collection from both India and abroad, from similar occurances.

Hi Canchi,

Welcome to the intoxicating, addictive world of vinyls... be prepared to be sucked into the bottomless whirlpool of buying, cultivating, cleaning and enjoying the magic of record playing experience.
I am not very old in this vinyl adventure either and am happily drinking from the heady elixir of this unique experience..... enjoy the clicks, pops, the rush of chancing upon that dusty record in someone's attic or a junk shop, the art of haggling with wily sellers, the tedium of cleaning and the pure joy of lifting the lever and placing the stylus on the groove to hear the burst of the nostalgic charm. Close your eyes, let go of yourself and drink in the music....

Hi Canchi

Welcome to the world of Vinyl. I am quite new here myself. A suggestion -- while you get around to cleaning to recently acquired collection, why don't you pick a couple of LP's from Flipkart and start revelling in the sound of vinyl playback ? Of the few records I bought sometime back, I really enjoyed the output from two of them, viz. OST of Guru & Lagaan. Just a thought

Cheers

Hi Canchi,

Welcome to the intoxicating, addictive world of vinyls... be prepared to be sucked into the bottomless whirlpool of buying, cultivating, cleaning and enjoying the magic of record playing experience.
I am not very old in this vinyl adventure either and am happily drinking from the heady elixir of this unique experience..... enjoy the clicks, pops, the rush of chancing upon that dusty record in someone's attic or a junk shop, the art of haggling with wily sellers, the tedium of cleaning and the pure joy of lifting the lever and placing the stylus on the groove to hear the burst of the nostalgic charm. Close your eyes, let go of yourself and drink in the music....

Well said!

pa8yqe8u.jpg
etubu5u9.jpg
qu5aduza.jpg
3eqe4esu.jpg

Congratulations.
Great LPs to start with!

gyby5eja.jpg

anyjyvu6.jpg
amu7u3yv.jpg

Welcome to an expensive passion.

No dude, nothing wrong... Some records have a lot of static/ gunk deep in the grove... Just play them and clean them periodically, the gunk will dislodge in time.

Sometimes the groove itself is damaged and one gets a lot if crackle and pops... That one can do nothing about.

In fact in my experience, I have also had records that look all shiny, new and minty, but still play as if there is a lot of gunk in the groove!

By and by you will figure out which ones are responding to the cleaning and which ones are truly damaged.

You are absolutely right. You can never judge a record by it's looks. It may look clean and shiny but sound lousy and some dirty looking records sound great. I separate the good sounding ones from the good,the bad and the ugly

Recently my good friend FM Simon_Wires sent me a couple of LPs. He warned me that they were pasted with dust and dirt and in poor condition, but I asked him to send them anyways (as I was on the look out for one of the albums for a very long time). I did a cleaning job on them and was surprised to note that they sounded very nice. The only way one can judge the quality of a record is to listen to it :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back