My Visit to the Lata Dinanath Mangeshkar Record Museum

hildebrand

Now read about the Lata Dinanath Mangeshkar Record Museum on the Anmol Fankaar site now:-
Hindi article: ??? ??????? ??????? ????????? ??????? ????????? : ???? ???? ??????? ?? ?? ???? ????????? ?????

English article: Lata Dinanath Mangeshkar Gramophone Record Museum : A National Heritage Made by Shri Suman Chaurasiya

I hope you enjoy reading about this great museum.
I will publish the interview of Suman ji soon.

What a lovely initiative and a terrific article. Great to know that such individuals exist. Some of those shelves look a bit fragile. The records may get damaged. Hope something is done about this.

What a lovely initiative and a terrific article. Great to know that such individuals exist. Some of those shelves look a bit fragile. The records may get damaged. Hope something is done about this.

Thanks Reuben. He's trying to maintain to the best of his abilities. An attempt is on to digitise the songs there. He has done some really seminal work in spite of being from a humble background. We need many more like him who are ready to share what they have as compared to some others who have huge inaccessible personal collections.

Now read about the Lata Dinanath Mangeshkar Record Museum on the Anmol Fankaar site now:-
I hope you enjoy reading about this great museum.
I will publish the interview of Suman ji soon.

Wonderful! Great that you published it.
There are two kinds of great people. One who makes music . Another who preserves them[what ever form it may be]. Suman ji is great. The Library reveals his devotion. Let me salute him.

Regards,
Anil

Wonderful! Great that you published it.
There are two kinds of great people. One who makes music . Another who preserves them[what ever form it may be]. Suman ji is great. The Library reveals his devotion. Let me salute him.

Regards,
Anil

Anil, at the rate you are going, shortly you too should be in a position to open a museum or your very own :)

Thanks Reuben. He's trying to maintain to the best of his abilities. An attempt is on to digitise the songs there. He has done some really seminal work in spite of being from a humble background. We need many more like him who are ready to share what they have as compared to some others who have huge inaccessible personal collections.

I fear he may not be an audiophile and the quality of digitization may suffer.
Will a TT owner from HFV (who is a native hindi speaker) volunteer to consult and guide him to make the best possible masters from analog sources?

I think if we study his digitization hardware and software we can advise on how to do it better and also possibly donate a PC or paid software after pooling in money to help him acheive good quality of master copies. Even help him set up his TT and tonearm and all the technical stuff.

I think there is enough timepass chat and random musings and armchair opinions on this forum, we also need to undertake concrete actions that will help preserve the heritage bequeathed to us and so painstakingly preserved by this individual. I hope people see this as an opportunity that is worthwhile and critical to accomplish.

G0bble

Last edited:
I fear he may not be an audiophile and the quality of digitization may suffer.
Will a TT owner from HFV (who is a native hindi speaker) volunteer to consult and guide him to make the best possible masters from analog sources?

I think if we study his digitization hardware and software we can advise on how to do it better and also possibly donate a PC or paid software after pooling in money to help him acheive good quality of master copies. Even help him set up his TT and tonearm and all the technical stuff.

I think there is enough timepass chat and random musings and armchair opinions on this forum, we also need to undertake concrete actions that will help preserve the heritage bequeathed to us and so painstakingly preserved by this individual. I hope people see this as an opportunity that is worthwhile and critical to accomplish.

G0bble

+1
Incidentally, Another great record collector Girdharilal Vishwakarma ji (a friend of mine) had visited earlier last year and given them tips on digitisation (He has also unearthed many rare gems). The rips being done are fairly decent.
Here is his profile:-
Hindi Movies / Films Songs

Anil, at the rate you are going, shortly you too should be in a position to open a museum or your very own :)

Dear Reuben,
Thanks and I wish like any other collector....but I am no way near to any of these greats w.r.t dedication, hardwork, determination and good will.

If God gives me enough free time and good surplus of money,certainly I wish to try :)

What ever happened so far is just fulfillment of a small wish. Thanks to God and I do not own even a single ounce of credit.

Regards,
Anil.

Dear Reuben,
Thanks and I wish like any other collector....but I am no way near to any of these greats w.r.t dedication, hardwork, determination and good will.

If God gives me enough free time and good surplus of money,certainly I wish to try :)

What ever happened so far is just fulfillment of a small wish. Thanks to God and I do not own even a single ounce of credit.

Regards,
Anil.

Ah the trademark of true greatness - Humility!
Strength to you!

hi hilde, hi fm. hailing from indore, it took me an age for my first visit there with another puneri fm. we couldn t eet r suman. 20 yrs ago, articles about him and his collection were being featured in locaal newspapers. this guy , at that time would travel to any part of india just for a single record. while he dedicates his works primarily to lataji, he has collected any and every 78rpm record that came his way.
did u even know that vinyls of 15 18 & 24" existed? or that lataji has sung in, apart from most indian languages , in sinhalese, burmese, malay etc?
this guy is a tea vendor by profession. no fancy restau of tea but a 'chai ka thela'. he oversteped the limits of sanity to collect all these recored long ahead of it becoming fashion. when we asked his nephew to play the ancient record player that they use for digitisng, we could notice major speed fluctuations. this guy could do with a decent set up. anybody in for help or donations, i can provide his mobile number. with all the appreciation and social recognition he recieved his hard work, all his family members help him in mammoth task of digitising and cataloguing the music. that said, he has ddone excellent in arranging and cataloguing all his music. he has some music on cassettes too. maybe the ones he hasnt managed to get on shellec/vinyl so far. an encyclopedia of mmusic, he has published some volumes of record catalogues apart from many books. guys, you should visit this place if you are into vinyls and indian music. my fellow friend fm told me that in pune a similar guy with about 10000 records was provided with space and an monthly honorarium in five figures by pune muncipal corp. ( for once a good work by those politico-bureaucrats). sumanji has 28k + records and all he has to date is his own hard earned money sweat and little support from wll wishers and lots of it from family members. when he set out on his journey long back, he didnt do it to gain anything out of it. just one man and his passion. but isnt that how edison made two world changing things?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back