Naim Nait 5si Vs Rega Elex-R

Try Torvin Audio Mosifier 2, you can take your speaker to their showroom and audition it there. i have auditioned this amp with few big speakers.

Taging @sandeepsasi an existing user of this amp.
Hi,

Thanks for tagging me.

Mosfier 2 has a humble power rating of 60W @ 4 Ohms. I have mostly heard them paired with high efficiency speakers.

EVO 4.2s are only 87dB sensitive and have a min impedance of 4 Ohms. The speakers I have currently, Torvin Grandiose 15.3, are of 4 Ohms nominal, but have a sensitivity of over 90dB - they are at home with Mosfier 2.

EVO 4.2's being large bookshelves, carrying them to Torvin's showroom could be difficult. You can request them for a home demo, as you are also based in Chennai. No idea whether this option is there on the cards though. They may also have better and more powerful amps in their catalog which they will recommend if you explain them your requirements.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

Last edited:
Hello FMs,

I am in search of an amplifier that pairs well with Wharfedale Evo 4.2

I like tight bass & well balanced sound across the frequencies without sibilance. I like amplifiers ?

Hello FMs,

I am in search of an amplifier that pairs well with Wharfedale Evo 4.2

I like tight bass & well balanced sound across the frequencies without sibilance. I like amplifiers with good PRaT. I listen to acoustic, Jazz, pop, mild rock kind of music.

I am unable to demo both these amplifiers in Chennai. Would appreciate the opinion and experience of our FMs as to what is the difference (tonaly) between these two amplifiers and which would be a better synergy with Evo 4.2.
I have had experience with the Rega amp, Wharfedale bookshelves, currently own rather Niam 5si, and also Cambridge integrated amp. I like Rega brand alot, but between these two amps(and even including the cambridge) it's Naim all day. And Naim sounds soooo good with Wharfedales. The Rega amp is fun, it has strong punch in low end, but if you want detail, imaging, balanced, it's Naim. Rega also sells a pretty cheap phono stage that is really good for just over 200 if needed to pair with the Naim 5si. But I think a few things that get overlooked w Naim is how fast of an amp it is, you don't realize what people mean until you hear it. If your music preference is not that fast paced this may not matter too much for you. But one other little bonus is you can pair the 5si with separate preamp, meaning if you wanted to buy a tube preamp, you can run it into the Naim and only use the Naim power amp portion bypassing it's preamped portion. I've also used the Naim to push 3 way tower speakers and it didn't blink an eye. I would definitely go with the Naim it's just a better engineered amp and I find it has good synergy with lots of components ive matched it with which is not always easy to do. I got mine used for 1700 and have used it often for 5 years never a problem. Hope this helps

I have had experience with the Rega amp, Wharfedale bookshelves, currently own rather Niam 5si, and also Cambridge integrated amp. I like Rega brand alot, but between these two amps(and even including the cambridge) it's Naim all day. And Naim sounds soooo good with Wharfedales. The Rega amp is fun, it has strong punch in low end, but if you want detail, imaging, balanced, it's Naim. Rega also sells a pretty cheap phono stage that is really good for just over 200 if needed to pair with the Naim 5si. But I think a few things that get overlooked w Naim is how fast of an amp it is, you don't realize what people mean until you hear it. If your music preference is not that fast paced this may not matter too much for you. But one other little bonus is you can pair the 5si with separate preamp, meaning if you wanted to buy a tube preamp, you can run it into the Naim and only use the Naim power amp portion bypassing it's preamped portion. I've also used the Naim to push 3 way tower speakers and it didn't blink an eye. I would definitely go with the Naim it's just a better engineered amp and I find it has good synergy with lots of components ive matched it with which is not always easy to do. I got mine used for 1700 and have used it often for 5 years never a problem. Hope this helps
Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback. it really helps :)

Hi FMs,

Based on the feedback from some of you and some of our forum members who have owned/owns Naim amps (rdevakumar, shyamv, jigarpatel, panditji, vijwilso, ganesankmc, aashish351, daniel80) i have bought a used Naim Nait 5si amp from one of our forum members. It sounds awesome with rest of my components (Ifi Zen stream -> SMSL D300 DAC -> Naim Nait 5si -> Wharfedale Evo 4.2 BS Speakers)

I immediately felt a huge improvement in bass department with good control over low freq. There is a tight, punchy bass with good timing. Bass quality and quantity is a considerable improvement from my previous Yamaha AS500 amp. One good thing is that it doesn't creep over (or) damage the mid frequency. Mid frequency is neutral and sounds very clean with good separation of instruments. I felt the high freq. was slightly rolled off compared to Yamaha AS500 (High freq was better in Naim XS2 amp that i heard from our forum member rdevakumar's system).

Overall, It matches well with Wharfedale Evo 4.2 speakers). Now Evo 4.2 sounds big like a floor stander :)

Thanks to all the FMs who have helped me take this decision over this thread / personal messages. Appreciate your support

Last edited:
My friend had wharfdale bookshelves & Rega-brio and I have Naim Nait 5si where we both explore both machines with wharfdale - Rega won the contest with tight low and balanced sound compare with Naim. Naim good match with B&W and focal.

My friend had wharfdale bookshelves & Rega-brio and I have Naim Nait 5si where we both explore both machines with wharfdale - Rega won the contest with tight low and balanced sound compare with Naim. Naim good match with B&W and focal.
Rega has reduced prices for the Brio worldwide. Lower than what it was selling 3-4 years back. Good value for money.

Thanks for your feedback. I thought wharfedale with Rega brio would be too warm/ laid back. May I know which model of wharfedale BS speaker you tested?

Back