NAS Streaming Prob + Solution

soulofmusic

Few days back I was facing a issue with my NAS... just wanted to share the problem and solution - incase there is someone on HFV to benefit.

Problem:
I copied large number of movies from one of Seagate Harddisk to my Seagate NAS. However after I copied I was not able to see the complete list in my WDTV. Usually it would take max 5 mins for DLNA to refresh list on WDTV. But I was only able to see 15-20 movies in WDTV list when I had 300-350 movies on the NAS.

I restarted WDTV, NAS mutliple times, kept WDTV in standby position for more than 2-3 Hrs - No Luck

Solution:
After scanning through I came across a solution which helped me sort this out. Though, i did it by login in through SSH in NAS environment, I figured out, you dont need to do that - in most cases.

First thing - WDTV has nothing to do with this. Its NAS DLNA Indexing.
DLNA regularly creating a index of the files that you put on NAS. It scan through Movies/Music/Picture files, read their container and index them. This index is used by media players (WDTV) to show files. Now DLNA is capable of indexing most encoders/containers, but once in a while it may come across something which it can't read. Unfortunately, it MAY get stuck their instead of skip that particular file. So the file list you see on your media player will be terminated.

What you can do is scan through your media list in media player and find the last file it is showing. Say in WDTV for me, it was showing files in my Movie database only till some files in "A" alphabet. I went and saw last file was under "Animated" folder. Then you just need to go to your NAS, arrange your files in alphabetical order and then remove the file next to the 'last file that you can see through your media player' (you can copy it somewhere else, but DELETE it from NAS). Just restart the NAS after this, you should now be able to see the complete list (unless there are further files with problem).

Most cases this should solve the problem. Incase it doesnt, you will need to do SSH into your NAS and see the log of DLNA while it indexes files and find out the problem.

Hope this helps

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back