Need 2.0 speakers system

Good point. If you have like a 50W amp, better to go for a small bookshelf's with a 5" cone rated around 50W with great midrange+high resolution, together with a sub. After lots of searching I am yet to find a speaker with a 6' or greater cone but rated below 100W. Larger cones are better for good bass. Preferably 10' to 12' ones. A 50W amp driving a 100W continuous rated speaker may not result in the level of cone excursions that may give that better sound especially if you want that fluid effortlessly well driven quality to the sound at very low volumes. If I had a choice today I would pair my 50W nad with a 45-50W speaker + sub. But you wont find many good quality speakers and subs rated at 50W continuous and your choice will be restricted. So with amps on the lower end of the power scale, better to take the chance with speakers rated at or above 90db sensitivity.

As in all things audio you wont realize that something sounds better until you hear it after making the change that improves the sound. :)

PS: My comments are not a expert opinion rather a newbies judgment after a few months of ruminating on this topic so there ... :eek:

Regards

Last edited:
The polk was reviewed in september 2008 and the PSB alpha B1 was long before that, I have not listened to PSB alpha B1 but looking at the measurement plots in the review any one can make out the speaker lacks low end,not that a bookshelf of this size should have serious low end grunt..but simmilar products from other manufacutrers go a quite a bit lower down.The wharfdales would be a much safer bet compared to PSB's IMHO..if you disregard the polk.

A spectral decay plot is an extremely good measure of cabinet quality stiffness and uncolored reproduction, if you look at the spectral decay plots of the polk and PSB ..you'll immidiately see the difference..I don't have a bias for any brand ...sometimes coloration gives character to a speaker which an individual might have a liking for...in the end it's all personal taste.

Sasmit - I would again encourage you to have an audition of these two speakers before judging any aspect of the actual sound reproduction. The Alphas, for their size, do not at all lack in bass capabilities.

As you move up in hifi the biggest limitation you would come up against with a budget bookshelf is the tendency of the speaker to sound strained as you get louder. The strain tells revealingly in the bass as well as the treble. Dynamism is key.

The Polk simply is not musical enough to warrant comparison. Of course this is based on my auditions of said products.

The Alpha B1, at its price range, does wonders with the human voice. Not an easy thing to do at all. By wonders, I refer to its mostly natural and yet slightly forward presentation. All that and it is not fatiguing to listen for long durations.

The Diamond 9.1 is a very good speaker in the same price range but I personally like the Alpha's presentation of vocals better.

Thanks Magma and Marsilians.

@Magma
I have patiently gone through your thread depicting beautiful journey on auditioning various speakers & amps combo. I have planned to cut-paste your audioning posts to make a word file and then to make a brief tabular summary. The things are scattered in your loooong threads. I have been benefitted immensely from your thread. As if I was also along with you during those auditions - very lively and down-to-earth simple. I think, you also had the space constraint like me in my bedroom. I cannot afford more than 6-7" (If stand mounted then the clearance can be max 10" during listening) clearance between the speaker and the rear wall, so back-fire port speakers may not be a good choice. Which speaker & Amps you have finally selected and do you still use the same?

@Marsilians
Have you heard Polt RTi A1 speakers? Is there any dealer at Delhi for auditioning? Although 5.1 in movies will be enjoyable but I am scared with the wires management. In view of above I may stick to 2.0 config. I need a simple clutterfree system suitable for my 14.5 ft x 11.5 ft bedroom. I have my PC and has plan to put a 42" plasma (Pana - my favourite) in future. My dream is to enjoy movies in 42" Plasma with good sound lying / relaxing on my bed. Also, I shall enjoy music ACD (playing in PC) through the 2.0 system.
Can you suggest any Speaker + Amps combo.

Thanks
Amit

Amit,

Are there no re-sale markets that you could tap into. I guess that could help you get good products within your budget. A good amp is a good amp, even if its been used for years.

A few suggestions, NAD makes fantastic amps for competitive price. Rotel is another excellent option, but could be slightly expensive. if you are taking the AVR route with a possible upgrade in mind, Marantz could be good option.

Usher S520 is a bookshelf speaker that has been critically reviewed in magazines and user forums, probably you can keep this in your audition list.

In any case, never buy a speaker just with opinions and reviews. Audition them thoroughly before buying it. You may not be interested in a full fledeged Hi Fi system now, but when you start I'm sure your interest is only going to grow. So better start with a good foundation that you can develop later on.

Good luck with the auditions

Have anybody listened to Jamo E640 bookshelf speakers? How Jamo bookshelf speakers are compared to Wharfedale, PSB Alpha, Cambridge etc.?

Thanks

Amit

Have anybody listened to Jamo E640 bookshelf speakers? How Jamo bookshelf speakers are compared to Wharfedale, PSB Alpha, Cambridge etc.?

Thanks

Amit

well i havent heard that but i have C603 and its realy good ,has great detail and tight bass,although a bit shallow.i have also heard the E680 flrs it was good but not as good as the c405,since the E680 didnt have a tight bass as c405.

Last edited:
Hi

Can you guys suggest few wall mountable good speakers & Amps combo for use as 2.0 speakers with separate amplifier? My newly built PC will be used as source (will be fitted with Asus Xonar card shorthly). Wall mount speakers will help in space savings.

Speaker use : Movies (40%), Music (50%) and games (10%).

Liking in music: Mainly Indian vocal (Rabindra Sangeet etc.), soft melody, instrument and movie songs. Sometimes western love songs.

Budget : Rs. 40-50 K for 2.0 speakers plus Amp. Has plan for future expansion to 5.1 system.

Thanks
Amit

Hi

Can you guys suggest few wall mountable good speakers & Amps combo for use as 2.0 speakers with separate amplifier? My newly built PC will be used as source (will be fitted with Asus Xonar card shorthly). Wall mount speakers will help in space savings.

Liking in music: Mainly Indian vocal (Rabindra Sangeet etc.), soft melody, instrument and movie songs. Sometimes western love songs.

Budget : Rs. 40-50 K for 2.0 speakers plus Amp. Has plan for future expansion to 5.1 system.

Thanks
Amit

I am guessing you need a 5.1 amp then? Something like the one from DNM, which retails for roughly 8k.
As for wall mount speakers, arent the Lithos noa( iirc) wall mountable?

I am guessing you need a 5.1 amp then? Something like the one from DNM, which retails for roughly 8k.
As for wall mount speakers, arent the Lithos noa( iirc) wall mountable?

Yes, I recall seeing a pic with the wall mount brackets attched.

Regards

I have a pair of JBL floor standinf speakers
for sale - Model E60 - Cherry color (Mint Condition)

You can view details at URL

http://www.angelfire.com/biz7/greatbargain9/speakers.html

Sudhir888

Apr 24, 2009

Hi

Thanks
Amit

amit i ve heard a few sattellites (wall mounted) some are just to expensive and others dont do well for 2.0 music.

NOw the PSB alpha B1 speakers have keyhole slots at the back.
this at leasts suggests that the designers did think that these speakers could be wall mounted as an option .
All this though this speaker has a rear firing port.
if you do want to mount these speakers falt against the wall i think you can do so. you may need to put a cylindrical piece of foam in the rear port ( the foam tubing that is used in spilt air conditioners does a good job as well)

However i would suggest you look at wall montable brackets like the one venkat has used in his install.this wall bracket allos the speaker at least 4inch breathing space from the rear wall which i beleive is good enough.

i would suggest you the alphas over other satellites.
specially if you will add a sub later on you will have no problems

now if you want a 2.0 amp look at NAD 325 ,denon PMA 500 or PMA 700.marantz PM 6002 i found these to go well with the PSB's
all can be had below 22k

however if you are looking to expand to a 5.1 system then i would suggest you buy a 5.1 receiver
the likes of the onkyo 606, a denon 17** or 19** series

if youre in mumbai i can take you around if you wish

amit i ve heard a few sattellites (wall mounted) some are just to expensive and others dont do well for 2.0 music.

NOw the PSB alpha B1 speakers have keyhole slots at the back.
this at leasts suggests that the designers did think that these speakers could be wall mounted as an option .
All this though this speaker has a rear firing port.
if you do want to mount these speakers falt against the wall i think you can do so. you may need to put a cylindrical piece of foam in the rear port ( the foam tubing that is used in spilt air conditioners does a good job as well)

However i would suggest you look at wall montable brackets like the one venkat has used in his install.this wall bracket allos the speaker at least 4inch breathing space from the rear wall which i beleive is good enough.

i would suggest you the alphas over other satellites.
specially if you will add a sub later on you will have no problems

now if you want a 2.0 amp look at NAD 325 ,denon PMA 500 or PMA 700.marantz PM 6002 i found these to go well with the PSB's
all can be had below 22k

however if you are looking to expand to a 5.1 system then i would suggest you buy a 5.1 receiver
the likes of the onkyo 606, a denon 17** or 19** series

if youre in mumbai i can take you around if you wish

Thanks Magma . I am not in Mumbai, I am at Noida, NCR. If I happen to come to Mumbai for my office work, I will like to contact you.

I am thinking for Usher s520. I am planning to have an audition. The problem is that the showroom, which ARN systems is going to establish at Delhi, is not yet ready. It will take time. Ushers520 is a front port speaker and small in size. It will perfectly fit in my bedroom. Also PSB alphaB1 and PSB Image series are also in my audition list. BTW is there any PSB dealer at Delhi?

Meanwhile, I have to think for the matching amps also. The pre-power combination will be costly but it will be the best for my Asus Xonar Essence STX card. Is there any possibility to get the pre- power amps for usher S520 at around 70k? May be used one also. Or alternately I may go for integrated amp. How much amp power I will need for usher s520? Can anybody suggest few integrated amps for usher s520?

for dealer for PSB
contact priyesh at lakozy mumbai , he will guide you about where to go for delhi.
priyesh contact can be got from the PSB WORLDWIDE SITE

for 70k you can easily get a pre power combo.you might get a good pre owned item too.im not too sure but you might get NAD itself- pre and power there are a few items in the classifieds too
though i dont think you really need a pre power.integrated should do fine.
fellow member madjack is also looking for a pre power combo but a 100rms channel one.contact him he might be able to advice you too

Magma,

I was just going through your great thread on audition of various speakers. You have found PSB image B15 with NAD 325 BEE more revealing than PSB image B25.

PSB image series is front port speakers and will suit well with respect to tight space constraint from speaker and rear wall.

Which amp will go well with PSB image B25? Have you ever auditioned Usher s520?

Magma,

I was just going through your great thread on audition of various speakers. You have found PSB image B15 with NAD 325 BEE more revealing than PSB image B25.

PSB image series is front port speakers and will suit well with respect to tight space constraint from speaker and rear wall.

Which amp will go well with PSB image B25? Have you ever auditioned Usher s520?

have never heard usher but i believe the 718's are very good. though out of my budget
PSB image B25 - i would wager that a marantz PM7001 would go excellent with it
(well there are many other amps. this is only one which i consider good VFM pair with this speaker)

Last edited:
Enquired with Lakozy Mumbai today regarding audition of PSB spkr at Delhi. It would not be possible for them. Delhi is really handicapped as far as audio is concerned.

I have to wait till I get any opportunity to visit Mumbai for my office job. Any PSB Image B25 spkr owner in Delhi/NCR?

Enquired with Lakozy Mumbai today regarding audition of PSB spkr at Delhi. It would not be possible for them. Delhi is really handicapped as far as audio is concerned.

I have to wait till I get any opportunity to visit Mumbai for my office job. Any PSB Image B25 spkr owner in Delhi/NCR?
W.r.t. Lakozy or PSB speakers, It's not an issue only with Delhi but every city except Mumbai

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back