Need a new cdp around 1Lac

maxcoutinho

Hi guys,

I am a very old hifivision member who is returning. The reason I had left was that I had over 70 posts which just disappeared thus not letting me post stuff for sale which I always have. All attempts to retrieve them failed.

Anyways, I am looking for a good cdp around 1Lac. I am looking at 2 possibilities:
A good cdp
A decent transport with and stand-alone Dac like a Chord qutest.

All advise welcome.
My current system:
Amp: Unison Research Triode 25 with usb Dac, Trigon Energy int amp
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5 Plus, Wilson Benesch ARC
SUB: REL Storm 5
Cdp: Marantz CD 17 mk3 modified with Trichord Research clock 4 module with dedicated psu.
Speaker cables: Chord signature, VDH Revelation
Interconnects: Siltech, vdh, Morrow, Nordost etc. but primarily use Morrow m3.

My cdp sometimes skips hence planning to buy another. I have not tried opening it and checking as yet but it is time I guess.

Audiolab CDT is what i can suggest to solve skipping and better reading capabilities. It reads even well scratched cds without any struggle yet outputs really well. Strong build as well.

Any experience with the Denon dcd 1600ne?

I have been lucky with Marantz so far but don’t want to push my luck. My current player worked fine for 16 years and my cd52 is still going strong after 25 years or so.
You are correct. Older Marantz were very robust.

Hi guys,

I am a very old hifivision member who is returning. The reason I had left was that I had over 70 posts which just disappeared thus not letting me post stuff for sale which I always have. All attempts to retrieve them failed.

Anyways, I am looking for a good cdp around 1Lac. I am looking at 2 possibilities:
A good cdp
A decent transport with and stand-alone Dac like a Chord qutest.

All advise welcome.
My current system:
Amp: Unison Research Triode 25 with usb Dac, Trigon Energy int amp
Speakers: Harbeth SHL5 Plus, Wilson Benesch ARC
SUB: REL Storm 5
Cdp: Marantz CD 17 mk3 modified with Trichord Research clock 4 module with dedicated psu.
Speaker cables: Chord signature, VDH Revelation
Interconnects: Siltech, vdh, Morrow, Nordost etc. but primarily use Morrow m3.

My cdp sometimes skips hence planning to buy another. I have not tried opening it and checking as yet but it is time I guess.
Since you are already using a Marantz CDP and like the sound, I recommend Marantz SA8005. This has a great transport, plays SACDs too and can also work as a standalone DAC. I believe it is a great bargain at the price it is currently selling. Only newer Marantz entry players seems to be plagued with transport or laser issues. Their reference and older models which are made in Japan seem to be more robust and have relatively fewer issues.

Since you are already using a Marantz CDP and like the sound, I recommend Marantz SA8005. This has a great transport, plays SACDs too and can also work as a standalone DAC. I believe it is a great bargain at the price it is currently selling. Only newer Marantz entry players seems to be plagued with transport or laser issues. Their reference and older models which are made in Japan seem to be more robust and have relatively fewer issues.

I second that! I too am using SA8005 and can recommend that. It never skipped any tracks/CDs for me. Working absolutely fine. But in case if you have a solid DAC and if you are not into SACDs, then you can consider a Audiolab 6000CDT or CA CXC. Another option around 1 lakh region is Denafrips Avatar CD Transport. Not sure about about the lead time now. Check with Vinshine Audio, Singapore or their Indian couterpart.

All the best!

There are threads that say a lot of reading issues with the latest marantz cdps. I myself tested cd6006 which does not even read some brand new cds, it had skipping issues, It would show you no disc for some discs. To confirm it again, I loaned another cd6006 from a dealer here and checked the same cds. There is no difference between both of the players.

I use a chord qutest+ lindemann bridge + apple superdrive. Now this would cost around 2lacs but u would get the best of streaming capabilities and cd playback

There are threads that say a lot of reading issues with the latest marantz cdps. I myself tested cd6006 which does not even read some brand new cds, it had skipping issues, It would show you no disc for some discs. To confirm it again, I loaned another cd6006 from a dealer here and checked the same cds. There is no difference between both of the players.

I have never experienced any such issues with SA8005 so far. I have owned another SA8005 in the past, which also did not give me any issues. But i have never really tried with scratched or lesser quality CDs. All the CDs i have tried are original pressings.

I have never experienced any such issues with SA8005 so far. I have owned another SA8005 in the past, which also did not give me any issues. But i have never really tried with scratched or lesser quality CDs. All the CDs i have tried are original pressings.
You are lucky

I use a chord qutest+ lindemann bridge + apple superdrive. Now this would cost around 2lacs but u would get the best of streaming capabilities and cd playback
What is your opinion regarding Qutest?

Its nice to sound, has the 3 digital inputs usb, coax and toslink and more over very compact and sturdy build.

Back