Need advice for Atmos speakers (I already have a 7.1 Polk setup)

I have tried to experience atmos using a pair of old stock speaker from an HTIB. Had used some aluminium strips to fix them to the ceiling , as I was unable to resist trying the atmos experience with my new AVR. Here are my comments

1, Its not easy to fix something to a false ceiling, as it will easily get detached due to the nature of the ceiling tile :)
2, Atmos speakers are not just gimmicks, it also does the hardwork like your surrounds
3, Use a matching speaker to your surround, it maybe better to do a timber match with your surrounds than going for a totally different one
4, ofcourse you will need a strong speaker. A spare one like what I used, may not do justice to atmos experience
5, If you can, go for 7.2.4 setup. I could understand how atmos tries to shift soundstage with just two overhead speakers, but 4 overhead speakers will be great (ofcourse will offset you by another lakh or so :( for the receiver )
6, Audition top firing, front height speakers before you opt for them. Ofcourse it is simple and clean but in my opinion, can never replace an overhead speaker experience
7, Unless you already have provision for overhead speakers, your atmos wiring is going to be a mess unless you are a professional or hand it over to professionals
8, I found the atmos demo disc as well as the mad max fury road, very engaging which really gave me goosebumps. On the other hand, some hyped atmos/DTSX movies didnt met my expectation except occasional drizzles/bird chirps/footsteps etc
9, If you can, upgrade to atmos right away. It is indeed a different experience to enjoy. I will say it was better than what I experienced in couple of movie theaters, but its purely my perception
10, Try to move your seating position few fits forward or backward, something like a subwoofer crawl. It gave me better experience after slightly adjusting my seating position

Last edited:
Elango, front heights as in say above the tv screen but placed wider apart? That means messy wires running down walls isn't it?

In my experience,I felt ceiling mounted speakers will give better results than front heights for atoms ,dts X and neural X ,I tried both and settled to ceiling mounted,I have Sonodyne 3540 which came with brackets to position either as surrounds,front heights or on ceiling. But many people will have constraints mounting on ceiling due to various reasons.So the other best option is front heights as Elangoas suggested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like to tell that ur main speakers are Polk ,so try from same series for timber matching. Owm3 ,owm5 are best to try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have ordered in-ceiling speaker to complete my Atmos setup.

Here are the specs
Front : Polk RtiA5
Centre : CsiA6
Surround : OWM3
Sub : DWS660i
AVR : Yamaha RX-V581

So ordered Polk RC60i in-Ceiling speakers to complete the 5.1.2 Atmos setup. Would be receiving it this week .. pretty excited !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought from one of the forum members only. I don't guess it is available online for purchase. May I know where you're from? If it is South India, it should be possible to get from Chennai.

But why not Polk OWM3 which is very versatile with the placement? It is very much identical to the SONUS 3540 specs and weighs considerably less over the other for easier placement. I have heard it personally, it is on the brighter side and gives very good mids. Also can be driven easily by any AVR.

In any Profx showroom you could get it also can order from online stores.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back