Need advice on Atmos Speakers

all that being said, these set of speakers will be used not more than 5%, so again whether you want to spend so much on them will be a personal choice.

FWIW, without getting into whether the posted number is right, I don't believe the usage metric is a reasonable measure when it comes to budget decisions. As a percentage, the immersiveness that Atmos provides may well add to the subjective experience an amount that is greater than the usage that the speakers get.

For example, studies have shown that bass quality constitutes 30% of our overall assessment of sound quality. Bass content, as a percentage of overall content, ought to be a lot lower than 30%.

Do we need to have a box behind the atoms speakers for the right sound as the general p.o.p false ceiling is totally open?

Surrounds are more important to be matched with the fronts. Atmos not an absolute must.
I have a pair of onkyp surrounds matched with polks centre and fronts...can make out the differentiation though...
haven't had the opportunity to demo with the same makes to differentiate the current setup

Do we need to have a box behind the atoms speakers for the right sound as the general p.o.p false ceiling is totally open?
As other FMs have said before, as long as the tonality of the Atmos speakers match the LCR, you shouldn't worry about the brand and mounting options. Just buy what's value for money and start enjoying :)

Wow u dared to go against all the theories and have been successful....
jus to understand wha was the reason to go for bipole for SR as against just a bookshelf?
top right and top left - were they ceiling mounted or bookshelf/satellite placed at heights of 9ft/close to ceiling?

Bipole for SR as against Bookshelfs were mainly due to simpler mounting options of bipole. Heights placed at ceiling height, not ceiling mounted.

I have a pair of onkyp surrounds matched with polks centre and fronts...can make out the differentiation though...
haven't had the opportunity to demo with the same makes to differentiate the current setup
* can't make out the differentiation though

Its 8+k here in amazon india which just costs INR 3k even after converting $40@75/$ and moreover this doesn't ship to india from amazon.com
how did u get it? from a friend/relative coming from there?
Yes, from a friend, in check-in baggage.

I am also looking for good atmos speakers for my concrete ceiling. I am not planning on creating POP false roof. I had ordered Apart Mast2 speakers that come with its own bracket to fix but unfortunately, that is out of stock and the order got canceled. Now I am planning on the following Pure Acoustics HT770 White speakers. I have not yet decided.

I was in same situation as yours with similar room dimensions, denon avr + polk audio RTiA3 as fronts, polk center and Pold RTiA1s as surrounds. I added Another pair of RTiA1s as atmos, by attaching them in a bracket at top but I was not getting good atmos feeling and was unable to differentiate those channels from front LRs. Purchased a pair of RC80i and flushed it with false ceiling. Didnt use any box to cover the speaker as such. Now the atmos is giving me a better indepth feeling, and I am clearly able to differentiate the channels now. I will recommend RTiA3s, if you have not yet finalized anything else

Thanks for sharing...

Where did u buy tags from and price? are they 8 or 6.5 inch?
Bought them from India, Mumbai. 6.5 inch. Don’t really remember the price since I bought 9 speakers from one guy with a hard bargain, but I’d suggest 10-12k would be the cost.
and like you’d understand atmos/height material is less than 5% of the total sound even in the most intense scenes, I’d suggest saving a buck or maybe 2. Having bookshelves etc mounted on your ceiling which are running to their full potential for about 2 seconds in the movie ( full potential being the key word) is excessive and honestly a waste. I’d rather spend that money for other components like an extra subwoofer. So unless you’ve got 4 subs I feel you still have potential on improving sound quality more than bookshelves for an atmos upgrade/purchase

FWIW, without getting into whether the posted number is right, I don't believe the usage metric is a reasonable measure when it comes to budget decisions. As a percentage, the immersiveness that Atmos provides may well add to the subjective experience an amount that is greater than the usage that the speakers get.

For example, studies have shown that bass quality constitutes 30% of our overall assessment of sound quality. Bass content, as a percentage of overall content, ought to be a lot lower than 30%.
Sorry, I just read your post after I wrote my last post. Hope that post clarifies your post as well.

I was in same situation as yours with similar room dimensions, denon avr + polk audio RTiA3 as fronts, polk center and Pold RTiA1s as surrounds. I added Another pair of RTiA1s as atmos, by attaching them in a bracket at top but I was not getting good atmos feeling and was unable to differentiate those channels from front LRs. Purchased a pair of RC80i and flushed it with false ceiling. Didnt use any box to cover the speaker as such. Now the atmos is giving me a better indepth feeling, and I am clearly able to differentiate the channels now. I will recommend RTiA3s, if you have not yet finalized anything else
Thanks for the recommendations....

Polk RtiA3 are bookshelf speakers so placing them will be a huge challenge including aesthetics...
i have almost finalised on Micca's 8 inchers

which are almost similar to the Polks RC80i in specifications and half the price as in bangalore..
give your views

I'm planning to use my FL/FR and SL/SR from Onkyo 5105 HTS, for my front and rear height channel requirements in Atmos setup. The only thing I guess I need to ensure is the angle it which they will be mounted. I have been using Netflix and Prime with ATV4K, assuming it has good ability to get the max out of Atmos from these streaming sources.
As many said, its just another speaker and doesnt have to be a special purpose or with any particular specifications! I'm not spending anything for atmos speakers at this point. I hope that understanding of mine is correct.

The specs (in brief) that I have for these speakers are > 8cm cone | 2.5cm balanced tweeter | 8 Ω | max i/p power 130W << do you guys think these can be a good height/elevation speakers when mounted right?
I have been using front height for some time now, I havent been able to notice a great height effect so far, I need to re-look into the way they are mounted and add a rear height channel as well soon. Any inputs about mounting tips or cables used will be appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm planning to use my FL/FR and SL/SR from Onkyo 5105 HTS, for my front and rear height channel requirements in Atmos setup. The only thing I guess I need to ensure is the angle it which they will be mounted. I have been using Netflix and Prime with ATV4K, assuming it has good ability to get the max out of Atmos from these streaming sources.
As many said, its just another speaker and doesnt have to be a special purpose or with any particular specifications! I'm not spending anything for atmos speakers at this point. I hope that understanding of mine is correct.

The specs (in brief) that I have for these speakers are > 8cm cone | 2.5cm balanced tweeter | 8 Ω | max i/p power 130W << do you guys think these can be a good height/elevation speakers when mounted right?
I have been using front height for some time now, I havent been able to notice a great height effect so far, I need to re-look into the way they are mounted and add a rear height channel as well soon. Any inputs about mounting tips or cables used will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Just my 2 cents on this, if you’re mounting them on the walls then mounts them vertically with an angle to have the Twitter in the general direction of the seating positions. If you plan to implant them in the ceiling, make sure they are in the axis parallel to the screen.
most speakers have a liberal horizontal spread with little to no vertical spread. That’s why you see all surrounds having Tweeter above mid driver and not side by side. With ceiling mount give them enough separation but too much will show clipping of signal. Also it is possible that the left person hears a very feeble response from R atmos.
if you see the construction of the in ceiling atmos speakers, they are designed to throw the waves in a larger spread over a shorter distance compared to normal home theater speakers which generally throw a narrower beam to a longer distance.

Just my 2 cents on this, if you’re mounting them on the walls then mounts them vertically with an angle to have the Twitter in the general direction of the seating positions. If you plan to implant them in the ceiling, make sure they are in the axis parallel to the screen.
most speakers have a liberal horizontal spread with little to no vertical spread. That’s why you see all surrounds having Tweeter above mid driver and not side by side. With ceiling mount give them enough separation but too much will show clipping of signal. Also it is possible that the left person hears a very feeble response from R atmos.
if you see the construction of the in ceiling atmos speakers, they are designed to throw the waves in a larger spread over a shorter distance compared to normal home theater speakers which generally throw a narrower beam to a longer distance.
Thank you,
I'm planning to mount them on the wall, no plans to mount on ceiling (although, these ones have threads at bottom and also at the back). I'm planning to get the mount with which I can create the angle I want, especially the rear heights will have to be at larger angle since I have the seating position very close to the rear wall. I need to work on the vertical and horizontal distances from the screen and seating position etc and set the angle accordingly to get the best out of it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back