Need advice on Atmos Speakers

edges

Dear Members,

I am renovating my room and need your help to decide on Atmos speakers for future expansion as i currently have a Polk audio and Onkyo 5.1 setup.
My room size is 13x12 and ceiling height after pop false ceiling is clear 9 ft. A few i have come across in budget is Polk audio RC60i , Elac, Q acoustics and Pyle brand shipped from USA Pyle PDIC60 in-Wall/in-Ceiling Dual 6.5-inch Speaker System, Directable Tweeter, 2-Way, Flush Mount, White (Pair) for rs. 6841.

Kindly give your suggestions

Better go with the same brand of main speakers to have same sound signature.
i have onkyo surround speakers and front pair and centre as polls currently.....will this atoms make a difference if i buy from another brand and they are mere for surround purpose...

thanks for your quick inputs.

i have onkyo surround speakers and front pair and centre as polls currently.....will this atoms make a difference if i buy from another brand and they are mere for surround purpose...

atmos is simply for effects- buy whatever decent speakers you can get a good deal on...
Your FL/FR need to be (obviously) matched , preferably (but not mandatorily) the centre
The SL/SR and Atmos can be pretty much any brand and I doubt even the most sensitive audiophile would be able to tell a difference

PS: I got a JBL control one pair locally (online) for 8K when I need to add atmos

Last edited:

Since ur Front speakers are polks ,u can get from polks.If ur ears are sensitive ,u may feel the difference if u install a Atmos speakers having different tonality.
These Atmos heights speakers will be active only when some height effects are required in the scene (it is based on content and sound mixing or by upmixers ike DSU ,neural X etc.).
Only thing u may need to ensure is ,install it at the correct angle according to Atmos guidelines.

atmos is simply for effects- buy whatever decent speakers you can get a good deal on...
Your FL/FR need to be (obviously) matched , preferably (but not mandatorily) the centre
The SL/SR and Atmos can be pretty much any brand and I doubt even the most sensitive audiophile would be able to tell a difference

PS: I got a JBL control one pair locally (online) for 8K when I need to add atmos
Thanks
JBL control for ceiling or wall side mounts/ height speakers? these are book shelf speakers, how did u add as atoms?

Thanks
JBL control for ceiling or wall side mounts/ height speakers? these are book shelf speakers, how did u add as atoms?
There is nothing inherently different about ATMOS speakers other than the location. Only for setups where it may not be feasible or desirable to install speakers at a ceiling level, there are special upfiring ATMOS speakers

Any bookshelf speakers mounted at the ceiling level (ideally between FL/FR and SL/SR) will work as ATMOS speakers.
In fact if you have the option to mount flush in the ceiling, you should look at flush mounted in-ceiling speakers

On a side note, Don't fret too much about the audio quality of atmos speakers.
Unless you have unlimited money, one should get the best possible L-C-R , decent surrounds and pretty much anything for atmos

There is nothing inherently different about ATMOS speakers other than the location. Only for setups where it may not be feasible or desirable to install speakers at a ceiling level, there are special upfiring ATMOS speakers

Any bookshelf speakers mounted at the ceiling level (ideally between FL/FR and SL/SR) will work as ATMOS speakers.
In fact if you have the option to mount flush in the ceiling, you should look at flush mounted in-ceiling speakers

On a side note, Don't fret too much about the audio quality of atmos speakers.
Unless you have unlimited money, one should get the best possible L-C-R , decent surrounds and pretty much anything for atmos
You are true even i couldn't notice anything great when i demoed the film titles with atoms and the stark difference with special dolby atoms content released by dolby at profx bangalore....on my view the executive informed that there is some problem with the content not getting relayed to atoms ceiling speakers.

As i am renovating the room with new false ceiling so will flush the speakers in ceiling.....i was informed by profx executive the as my the ceiling height is 9 ft so i will require to put in the much expensive one with pol audio 8" driver RC80i model in lieu of RC60i with 6.25" driver....is this true?

By any chance will these atoms speakers give full range sound like other channels when playing music/movies in all channel mode in amplifier?

You are true even i couldn't notice anything great when i demoed the film titles with atoms and the stark difference with special dolby atoms content released by dolby at profx bangalore....on my view the executive informed that there is some problem with the content not getting relayed to atoms ceiling speakers.

As i am renovating the room with new false ceiling so will flush the speakers in ceiling.....i was informed by profx executive the as my the ceiling height is 9 ft so i will require to put in the much expensive one with pol audio 8" driver RC80i model in lieu of RC60i with 6.25" driver....is this true?

By any chance will these atoms speakers give full range sound like other channels when playing music/movies in all channel mode in amplifier?
The exec is exaggerating..
The Dolby demo content overemphasizes the height effects by design. ATMOS demo content is available freely online so you can try for yourself

The atmos content in current movies/TVs is a lot more subtle by design except some scenes in some movies (e.g. the first few minutes of Guardians of the Galaxy 2)
If you prefer more in-your-face surround, you can always bump up the gain on the height channel by a few dbs

As for the 8" vs 6.5" driver, I think 8" is way overkill for ATMOS unless you are using 10" or 12" drivers on your fronts

There is really no point in having bigger drivers for ATMOS than your L-C-R ..
For what it's worth, my L-R are 3-way with 7" woofer + 7" mid range
Surrounds and ATMOS are two way with 6.5" and 4" drivers respectively

The exec is exaggerating..
The Dolby demo content overemphasizes the height effects by design. ATMOS demo content is available freely online so you can try for yourself

The atmos content in current movies/TVs is a lot more subtle by design except some scenes in some movies (e.g. the first few minutes of Guardians of the Galaxy 2)
If you prefer more in-your-face surround, you can always bump up the gain on the height channel by a few dbs

As for the 8" vs 6.5" driver, I think 8" is way overkill for ATMOS unless you are using 10" or 12" drivers on your fronts

There is really no point in having bigger drivers for ATMOS than your L-C-R ..
For what it's worth, my L-R are 3-way with 7" woofer + 7" mid range
Surrounds and ATMOS are two way with 6.5" and 4" drivers respectively
Ok thanks for the info...
Are u able to play stereo effect in all channel including atmos speakers during music playback with any stereo content

Various types of atmos speakers exist in the market
* reflective in my opinion useless, since the beam angle can not be changed you might or might not get any effects based on room length
* wall mounted (angled) are better than reflective but again depending on which wall you mount them and your room dimensions, they will either perform or not perform
* in ceiling speakers are definitely better than the above 2 options, since they can be placed as per listening position, but again since they lie parallel to the floor the effects may not be perfect. eg in x.x.4 the front 2 speakers will fire on the floor in front of you, the 2 rear speakers will fire behind you.
* in ceiling angled speakers are better than those above, since they can be placed at different locations depending on your listening position and angle of the speakers.
* ceiling mounted speakers are like the ones you see in the theater. They are put on brackets suspended from the ceiling. They can be same models as the rest of your speakers and give you the most precise sound and effects.

all that being said, these set of speakers will be used not more than 5%, so again whether you want to spend so much on them will be a personal choice.
Personally I’ve got 2 in ceiling cheaper Taga speakers with similar specs of my kef t101 surround/back surround speakers over the MLP and I think they sound good.
If you feel they need more power or are sounding puny, you can increase the dB individually from the avr.

My fronts are all matched, Quad. My surround right is a wharfedale bipole, sorround left is a Quad bookshelft, top right is wharfedale and top left is quad. Unless I go very close to both speakers, the difference sound signature cannot be noticed by me. Am sure this will be for a lot of other guys too. Now my case is a bit of an extreme, but i feel that one should be ok with mix and match at least with surrounds and atmos.

Various types of atmos speakers exist in the market
* reflective in my opinion useless, since the beam angle can not be changed you might or might not get any effects based on room length
* wall mounted (angled) are better than reflective but again depending on which wall you mount them and your room dimensions, they will either perform or not perform
* in ceiling speakers are definitely better than the above 2 options, since they can be placed as per listening position, but again since they lie parallel to the floor the effects may not be perfect. eg in x.x.4 the front 2 speakers will fire on the floor in front of you, the 2 rear speakers will fire behind you.
* in ceiling angled speakers are better than those above, since they can be placed at different locations depending on your listening position and angle of the speakers.
* ceiling mounted speakers are like the ones you see in the theater. They are put on brackets suspended from the ceiling. They can be same models as the rest of your speakers and give you the most precise sound and effects.

all that being said, these set of speakers will be used not more than 5%, so again whether you want to spend so much on them will be a personal choice.
Personally I’ve got 2 in ceiling cheaper Taga speakers with similar specs of my kef t101 surround/back surround speakers over the MLP and I think they sound good.
If you feel they need more power or are sounding puny, you can increase the dB individually from the avr.
Thanks for sharing...

Where did u buy tags from and price? are they 8 or 6.5 inch?

My fronts are all matched, Quad. My surround right is a wharfedale bipole, sorround left is a Quad bookshelft, top right is wharfedale and top left is quad. Unless I go very close to both speakers, the difference sound signature cannot be noticed by me. Am sure this will be for a lot of other guys too. Now my case is a bit of an extreme, but i feel that one should be ok with mix and match at least with surrounds and atmos.
Wow u dared to go against all the theories and have been successful....
jus to understand wha was the reason to go for bipole for SR as against just a bookshelf?
top right and top left - were they ceiling mounted or bookshelf/satellite placed at heights of 9ft/close to ceiling?

I have a choice of Polks RC60i 6.5 inch and JBL arena 6IC for ceiling atoms speakers?
does any member have heard these or i will just plan to go for PYLE PDIC60 speakers from amazon.in shipping from USA?

Surrounds are more important to be matched with the fronts. Atmos not an absolute must.

I can see both sides, TBH. Some folks simply EQ all of their speakers all the way out and say that's enough. And then, there's folks (like me) who want to leave stuff above Schroeder alone and go for a match with the fronts and surrounds (also for reasons of dynamics). Does really seem to be a matter of personal preference including, but not restricted to, how you choose to distribute your AV budget.

Back