Need Advice on AV & Speakers

vchounal

Hi,

I have been looking for a mid-range AV and small size speakers for my home theater. I zeroed on Pioneer VSX 1019 AH-K with Energy Classic Take 5.1 speaker set up. Both have excellent reviews on CNET. I was thinking of getting the Pioneer AV from US through a friend (available for $400) and buying the speakers locally (available for Rs 27K). I already have a 50" LG PK550 plasma TV and PS3.

I have now been offered Onkyo TX SR-606 AV for 20K. I am not sure how it compares against Pioneer 1019 AH-K. I have read that it upconverts analogue signals to only 1080i over HDMI output and not 1080p. Is it going to be a big disadvantage as we would watch a lot of cable TV? Will Energy Classic Take 5.1 speakers be a good match with both Pioneer and Onkyo AV Receiver?

Lastly, is it a good idea to buy a seperate DVD player for normal movie watching and use PS3 only for games & BD?

I think Ps3 is good enough for your video needs.
As for reciever, you will have to check it out and make a choice. Give more importance to the sound than the upscaling. I think Ps3 will do a good job of that.
Do you have a space limitation for speakers? Else consider CA sirocco package at 35-40k.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back