Need advice: What to look for before buying a blu-ray movie?

surendar

I am new to HD world and need some help in identifying the perfect blu-ray disc to buy based on technical specifications. As nowadays studios are following the tactics of releasing multiple editions of the same title I am bit worried about buying the initial/first time blu-ray releases of movies. Are the current releases having scope of improvements in terms of audio/video specifications (bit rate, sound format etc.)?

Check the Region.Either its region free OR compatible with reg of your BDp.
secondly manufaturer(US/UK or Indian)
Sound tracks.

Like to know specifically on audio/video formats to look for. For example few terms I am able to see like:

1) BD-50, BD-25, dual layer etc. will that make any difference in quality?
2) Bit rate?
3) MPEG2, MPEG4, VC?
3) DTS HD, DD HD, HD lossless transfer?

look for -full 1080P video
- HD Audio (Dts HD MA / dolby true HD) but on a bluray even DD and DTS sound great
- size of the disc 25GB/50GB ,most hollywood releases are 50GB ,full utilization of disc space for movie better the results (eg Avataar)
- Bit rate ,most are @ 48 (this wudnt be mentioned on cover)
-imporatant to look for compatible reg coding

HD Audio (Dts HD MA / dolby true HD) but on a bluray even DD and DTS sound great

Not to sound rude, but DD and DTS would sound great on a DVD as well, its nothing to do with disc as such AFA, DD and DTS track goes......:)

Audio : PCM Multi channel / HD DTS/ HD Dolby or DTS/DD. Bit rate of DTS/DD in Blu rays is higher than DVD DTS/DD
Video : Disc 25 GB-> MPEG2 ; Disc 50 GB -> MPEG4/VC-1.
Lastly Extras.Normally US Blurays will come in 2 or more Discs with Digital Copy, DVD Copy and lot of extra features.
To Compare the releases, which has better transfer, you can check in the below link which was provided by our member sud98 in another Thread
Rewind @ www.dvdcompare.net - The Home of DVD Comparisons - Part of The Rewind Network

Dude! Just check if you can 'obtain' a good BR rip of the movie. If you can't, buy the BD. Simple! :D :p

Is it or due to gr8 PQ it hears gr8?

cud be one reason coz of the great PQ
but no i do find the DD/DTS sound tracks in BD better then on DVD
Few BDs to chk this out --- Vertical limit (only DD on BD )
----Bluman group ,how to be a megastar (DD)
---Maghadeera (DD)
there are many more titles that i do have on DVD and BD ,the audio (DD) on the BD sounds more detailed and sweeter :) and the PQ does add to it

Not to sound rude, but DD and DTS would sound great on a DVD as well, its nothing to do with disc as such AFA, DD and DTS track goes......:)

agreed on paper
sure it sounds great on dvd
but do a comparision with same titles on Dvd/BD with non HD audio ,u will hear the diff

Audio : PCM Multi channel / HD DTS/ HD Dolby or DTS/DD. Bit rate of DTS/DD in Blu rays is higher than DVD DTS/DD

I think my statement created confusion.... technically the max bitrate for DTS and DD audio is ~ 1.5mbps and 600kbps respectively, which can be easily cramped on to DVD as well. The production company for their reason might not decide to use the full bit rate, that is a different scenario, but the "Disc" as such does not limit putting DTS/DD on a DVD, that is what I meant actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system)

In the consumer (home theater) market, AC-3 and DTS are close in terms of audio performance. When the DTS audio track is encoded at its highest legal bitrate (1509.75 kbit/s). Dolby claims its competing AC-3 codec achieves similar transparency at its highest coded bitrate (640 kbit/s). However, in program material available to home consumers (DVD, broadcast, and subscription digital TV), neither AC-3 nor DTS typically run at their highest allowed bitrate. When DTS audio was introduced to the DVD specification, studios authored DVD movies at DTS' full bitrate (1509.75 kbit/s). Later, movie titles were almost always encoded at a reduced bitrate of 754.5 kbit/s, ostensibly to increase the number of audio tracks on the movie disc. At this reduced rate (754.5 kbit/s), DTS no longer retains audio transparency.

Blurays continue to use (because of ease of space) the full max bitrate for DTS and DD.......

If we take a DVD and a Bluray both of which have DTS track @ their full bitrate, there would not be any difference .....

Last edited:
First and foremost check whether its a movie that you like. Buying a movie for just its blu ray quality will disappoint you the most.

The next would be the video and audio aspect as stated in the previous posts.

Lastly also check the aspect ratio. For older movies, the aspect ratio is 4:3 so causes black bars which can be very irritating.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back