Need cable for 7 pin S Video to Componet or composite

anoopdotk

hi all,
My laptop has got S video output with a 7 pin point. But my TV supports only composite and component inputs. Will I get a cable which does conversion from 7 pin S video to composite or compnent?
Thanks in advance.

yes anoop, s-video to component or composites are available. i myself bought one some time back. buy it from samson in sp road. ask for s-video to 3 RCA for component.

Could you please advise which cable to use when the TV takes only composite inputs. Using one of the RCA connectors on the 3RCA, I can get the picture only in black and white. I presume I'll need to get the component video converted to composite...or get another appropriate cable.
Thanks.

@anoopdotk, this cable would give you better clarity than the S-video to composite able. Go for it.

@ManiJ, if your TV takes just composite input stick to a S-video to Composite (single RCA) connector. Plugging in just one RCA pin of a component cable will not work since the color and brightness information are carried separately

Could you please advise which cable to use when the TV takes only composite inputs. Using one of the RCA connectors on the 3RCA, I can get the picture only in black and white. I presume I'll need to get the component video converted to composite...or get another appropriate cable.
Thanks.

Mani,

I am surprised you are getting Black & White. Even with Composite, you should get colour.

Can you elaborate a bit more - what are your components, and what is your connection methodology?

Cheers

Mani,

I am surprised you are getting Black & White. Even with Composite, you should get colour.
I don't think you would get colours when you plugin the luminance pin of a component cable into a composite video input. It would be just greyscale.

I don't think you would get colours when you plugin the luminance pin of a component cable into a composite video input. It would be just greyscale.

I am aware of that Mod. I am trying to understand from Mani what the connectivity options are at both ends, so that we can advise him of the best way of connecting.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat and mod,
My regular TV only has a normal RF/Antenna in along with 'composite in' connections. I am aware that I would normally need to get a S-Video to composite cable. However have not been able to get it in the market (SP Road, Bangalore). Have tried multiple times with different electronic/cable dealers - they all seem to believe that the standard way to connect from laptop is the S-Video to 3RCA cable....and arent aware of a S-Video to composite cable. (I guess even if such a cable is available, it is not very popular as the regular electronic stores do not know about it)....Previously I did not have a AV receiver....and did not want to buy too many unnecessary adapters too (I saw those that converted from S-Video to TV RF out were about 2K).
I recently got my Denon 1909 receiver....I guess I could give the component video input into the receiver and get a composite out from it.
Thanks much again or responding to my query.

Last edited:
hi manij
you can go for s-video to single RCA cable. this will work as composite input for your display. you cant use one pin from component cable because it is a split signal transmission system.

hi manij
you can go for s-video to single RCA cable. this will work as composite input for your display. you cant use one pin from component cable because it is a split signal transmission system.

Hi krauss - is there such a cable available....not been able to trace it till now (though have seen lots of S-Video to 3RCA ones). By any chance would you know more details of this cable and where it is available...

Last edited:
at samson in sp road they first thought i wanted s-vid to composite, so they showed me an s-vid to single RCA cable. then, after i told them again, they showed me the s-vid to 3 RCA cable.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back