Need clarity in term bit/KHz

sudhirbhosale

Hi
I am planning to buy DAC.
While going to spcs of Canbridge audio DacMagic100 Iread below lines about resolution. There are two values listed as below one with 96KHz and 192 KHz. Would like to understand why difference.
Also would it make any difference if I go to 96KHz?

24-bit/96kHz driverless USB Audio 1.0 input
24-bit/192kHz USB Audio 2.0 input with ASIO or kernel streaming modes

http://www.stylesound.com/images/DacMagic_100.pdf

Thanks

It is the sample rate, one is taking 96K samples per second and another is 192K samples per second of signal wave of sound. 24-bit is the word length of each sample have all the information in depth.

In practical world even 16-bit/44.1K is enough for most human ear if that is carefully converted to analog. So 24-bit/96kHz will definitely serve you for most of the needs.

Last edited:
This may help: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Audio.htm
The section titled Resolution explains the difference between USB 1 and 2.

As srisaikat pointed out, 96kHz is often good enough. However, digital audio is clearly moving towards higher resolutions, and some of the music sounds stunning in higher res. I would say having the capability to do 192kHz is a way to future-proof one's investment.

Most mortals can do with 16/44.1 a.k.a CD quality or redbook format for playback.
24/96 or 24/192 is very useful in the recording process for mixing purposes.
This said, 24/96 and 24/192 for playback does not hurt if you are not paying an arm and leg for it.
Your DAC should be USB 2.0 with all the acronyms and kernel stuff; though I am a techie, do not clearly understand these terminologies.

Cheers,
Raghu

one is taking 96K samples per second and another is 192K samples per second of signal wave of sound. .

Thanks Srisaikat
But my confusion is both statements are listed for same product in one manual i.e. CA Dacmagic100.
Means, Does is process with different rate in different scenario? i.e. with USB 1.0 and USB 2.0.

Thaks

Thanks Srisaikat
But my confusion is both statements are listed for same product in one manual i.e. CA Dacmagic100.
Means, Does is process with different rate in different scenario? i.e. with USB 1.0 and USB 2.0.

Thaks

It's still same device.

Through USB it supports up to 24-bit/192kHz.

For up to 24-bit/96kHz files, it is natively supported, there is no need of separate driver, USB operation mode would be 1.0. No extra effort required.

For 24-bit/192kHz files the USB operation mode will be 2.0 input with help of ASIO or kernel streaming. Little installation and configuration have to be done. If you really have too many collections with such real resolution then this extra effort need to enjoy them to their best. And still the quality of rest of the chain (Amp, Speaker and even cables) will come between your best enjoyment :).

Yes.
If your source (say, a computer) outputs the signal through a USB Audio 1.0 port, then the signal going into the Dacmagic input will be processed at 24-bit/96kHz.
If your source outputs the signal through a USB Audio 2.0 port, then the signal going into the Dacmagic input will be processed at 24-bit/192kHz.
It depends on the source. The Dacmagic supports both the protocols through the same USB input.

Edit: I see now that the question has already been answered :)

Simple rules for converting bits and sampling rates into audio numbers.

Bits x 6 = dynamic range.
16 bits (like CD) = 96dB dynamic range.
24 bits = 144dB dynamic range (there isn't a microphone or speaker or electronics that can reproduce that much voltage swing cleanly).

Sampling rate 2 = highest frequency recorded.
44.1kHz sampling rate (like CD) = 22kHz highest audio frequency on CD.
192kHz sampling rate = 96kHz highest audio frequency in that recording (even dogs can hear only half that high - about 45kHz).

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back