Need Deep bass

edjamesx

I am new to this forum. I have ONKYO a/v receiver and 5.1 BOSE speakers and having it for more than two years. Its being good syetem watching movies with small rooms. Now i am planning to upgrade only front speakers and planning to move my bose speakers to surround as my a/v receiver support 7.1 channel output. I am expecting the real Deep bass effect so of course my Sub woofer also need to be changed. Can any one recommend me front speakers and sub woofer?.

Last edited:
What is your budget and listening styles (movies/music/types of music) etc.?

I am new to this forum. I have ONKYO a/v receiver and 5.1 BOSE speakers and having it for more than two years. Its being good syetem watching movies with small rooms. Now i am planning to upgrade only front speakers and planning to move my bose speakers to surround as my a/v receiver support 7.1 channel output. I am expecting the real Deep bass effect so of course my Sub woofer also need to be changed. Can any one recommend me front speakers and sub woofer?.

If you can source from abroad, some real good VFM ones out there are -

SVS from US
SVSound - Reviews

BK Monolith from UK
Monolith-DF

Have listened to both extensively. SVS will give you real deep bass but i personally prefer the Monolith. Dont have one yet but might get it in the near future. HSU research is also with mentioning here.

Have deep pockets and dont mind spending? Then these are for you.

The classic ones like REL STUDIO III, Velodyne DD18 (think they released their flagship model DD1812 lastyear - yet to see/hear) Sunfire EQ Signature etc.

And if its absolute bass you are after then there are the likes from JL AUdio's Gotham/Fathom as well as Deftech SuperCubes Trinity/Reference.

Happy auditioning.

edjamesx, though there are various subs available at various price points, I have the following points:

1. Since you already have a 5.1 set up, why do you want to change your front speakers?
2. Mixing and matching speaker from different manufacturers is tricky. Can you get larger speakers from Bose itself that you can use as front speakers?
3. I am not too sure about this, but If I remember right all the satellite speakers of Bose are routed from the sub. I am not sure you can feed power to the satellites directly? What is your current connection methodology? Direct from AVR to speakers, or through the Bose sub?
4. Have you tried a bit of room acoustics to improve your bass? A few bass traps will vastly improve your sound.
5. When choosing sub you have to be careful of what you are looking for? A sound that is boomy and echoing, or a sound that is deep and very tight.

Cheers

Thanks all for your response. My set up was in a small room earlier 10*10 where i got the good performance from Bose speakers.Since i have moved to new house my room is little bigger (10*20) than earlier one. Now I am not getting the best sound in the room especially from my front speakers. As long as i am hearing from 10ft its good. My listening position is 20ft now. I am not able to hear the sound efects clearly as in my small room. I have tried all settings from my a/v reciver. I had a doubt with bose because of small whether its not performing well in big room. I recently visited audiophile showroom and they had lot of (tower)speakers..not sure about their band name and they seems to sound good with moderate room size.
Finally i have to blame my bose speakers. I am getting good effects from my surround bose speakers as I am sitting near to it. I feel other dialogs and sound effects from front speakers doesnt reach to me at the 20 ft distance. I am movie lover. I watch lot of hollywood movies especialy action,thrillers for those deep bass will give a great experience.

Generally i dont want to go for BOSE again as i have the same brand already. I can try something else.

My Budget is around 800$ to 1000$ .

I am from Chennai/India. If any thing available here will be well and good.

I think Connection can be made this way right

A/v reciver (7.1)

Front ----> to my new Speakers

Center -----> to my new Speaker

Sub -----> to my new Sub (Bose sub connection removed)
my new Sub --> Bose Sub (Is it posible ?) o r i can leave it as its.

Surround left/Right --> BOSE Sub -> Bose front L/R

Surround back L/R --> BOSE Sub -> Bose surround L/R

Speaker set B (L) --> BOSE Sub -> Bose Center (and put in to some other room)

edjamesx, though there are various subs available at various price points, I have the following points:

1. Since you already have a 5.1 set up, why do you want to change your front speakers?
Cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

You will get lots and lots of responses with options for your budget. I would recommend the following:

Take a few of your favourite DVDs and music disks and audition both bookshelves and tower speakers at a few stores to get a feel for the type of sound you like. All speakers have a distinct signature sound and only you will fall in love with some of these as much as others might suggest.

Can you connect the bose speakers to a standalone AVR? If so,
I suggest you buy

Front Left/Right/Center speakers along with a sub and and AVR. Use the Bose for surrounds to make up a 5.1 or a 7.1 system.
Some speakers to look for are:

Polk Audio
Klipsch
Paradigm
Monitor Audio
Kef
Wharfedale
Usher
Bower and Wilkins

For subs:

I would look into atleat a 10inch from
Polk
Velodyne
sunfire

I would think that USD 1000 is a bit of a push to get the 3.1 system with an AVR + cables and connectors

You may be able to get through with bookshelves for L/R/C and AVR

You may have to increase your budget by about 200 USD for sub as well (though I could be a bit off the mark)

Reason is that most retailers and audio stores mimic the latest USD to INR ratio in their pricing even though they would have placed orders and obtained stocks at diff values. It like petrol prices in some ways.

My Budget is around 800$ to 1000$ .

I am from Chennai/India. If any thing available here will be well and good.

I think Connection can be made this way right

A/v reciver (7.1)

Well we can add Tannoy F1 custom & Q acoustic 1010i in the list available in India.These spk r recommended with Onkyo avr by Whatshifi mag.

Have few questions

Bose doesn't allow direct connection of speakers from AVR. Can i hookup BOSE sub from the new subwoofer that i am planning to buy?.(instead of direct connection from pre-out of AVR to BOSE sub... connect from new SUB if there's any pre out ). If there's no option i have to leave as it is so my BOSE sub wont produce any LFE.

Is the Presub out nessary to be connected to BOSe speakers in order to get the BASS for my surround?.Its for only for LFE and i can get it with new SUB?.

I am planning for this beasue..i can use this and new system as well so i get the good performance and i can save some money too.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

A/v reciver (7.1)

Bose doesn't allow direct connection of speakers from AVR. Can i hookup BOSE sub from the new subwoofer that i am planning to buy?.(instead of direct connection from pre-out of AVR to BOSE sub... connect from new SUB if there's any pre out ). If there's no option i have to leave as it is so my BOSE sub wont produce any LFE.

Usually subs do not have any output socket. It is only Bose that has an Input and multiple Outputs to connect the satellites. That is because all data is routed through the Bose sub. The sub has an inbuilt cross over filter and amplifier that retains the low frequencies, and sends the rest to the other speakers.

This does not make sense with modern AVRs that can do this same job themselves. Non Bose sub will not have any out sockets. They will have a sub-out and individual connections for each speaker. The AVR does the crossover themselves.

You cannot connect two sub is series one after the other. Some AVRs have connection for two subs, but I am not sure your has that.

It may be worthwhile trying to connecting the satellites directly to the AVR. If that works, you just have to get a new sub.

Is the Presub out nessary to be connected to BOSe speakers in order to get the BASS for my surround?.Its for only for LFE and i can get it with new SUB?.

I am planning for this beasue..i can use this and new system as well so i get the good performance and i can save some money too.

The sub out or LFE out of an AVR provides low frequency sounds from 0 Hz to whatever setting you set. This could be 40, 60, 80 Hz and so on. This is amplified by a amplifier within the sub. The other channels get the frequencies from whatever max frequency you set upto 20kHz or above. As I said above all this is managed by the AVR. If you connect a sub, and the other speakers directly to the AVR you will get full frequency surround.

Alternatively you can get large floor standers and set the Front L&R as 'Full'. In this case the AVR will send ALL frequencies o the Front speakers, and you may not need a sub at all.

The best method is to get a new sub, and connect all speakers directly to the designated ouputs in the AVR.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back