Need expert advice on a 7.1 CH HT system.

kairalee

Hi,

I am a newbie to the audio world, but want to have a good system in my living room (16 x 18 ft).

Did some research on this wonderful site and read tons of expert comments...did some auditioning at various showrooms and finally came up with what I think will be a right fit.

AV receiver: Onkyo TX-SR575
Satelite Speakers: Elac CINEMA 1 SAT
Subwoofer: Jamo Sub 300

I do a 70:30 of Music:Movies...music (world/fusion/smooth jazz, etc)twice a day at least and movies (action/comedy/vernacular) about once or twice a week. (I have a Philips DVD player)

I request the audio pundits on this forum to comment on the above combination and suggest if it looks right and suggest any appropriate changes.

Thanks.

Subwoofer: Jamo Sub 300 .

Kairalee, did you listen to the above combination? Did you play some of your own favourite CDs, and like what you heard?

If that is true, then just go for the combination.

Cheers

Hi,

I am a newbie to the audio world, but want to have a good system in my living room (16 x 18 ft).

Did some research on this wonderful site and read tons of expert comments...did some auditioning at various showrooms and finally came up with what I think will be a right fit.

I do a 70:30 of Music:Movies...music (world/fusion/smooth jazz, etc)twice a day at least and movies (action/comedy/vernacular) about once or twice a week. (I have a Philips DVD player)

I request the audio pundits on this forum to comment on the above combination and suggest if it looks right and suggest any appropriate changes.

Thanks.

Audio pundits? Ha ha. Dude your ears are the best judge ever...

Go with what you like/appeals to you budgetary constraints taken into consideration.

hi ,i had the onkyo TX SR 575,i felt it really lacked power,and sattellites for speakers -----man u will get bored of the sound pretty soon,,instead go for a little higher powerd amp(606,787 ,875)and u shd look out for a good floorstanders/bookshelves instead of sub/sat,,,,,and as for music a reciever will sound crap!!!

Kairalee, did you listen to the above combination? Did you play some of your own favourite CDs, and like what you heard?

If that is true, then just go for the combination.

Cheers

I did listen to this combo (yes...my CDs) as well as one with the Elac sub 50 ESP, but I liked the jamo sub better in the combination.

Thanks venkatcr.

hi ,i had the onkyo TX SR 575,i felt it really lacked power,and sattellites for speakers -----man u will get bored of the sound pretty soon,,instead go for a little higher powerd amp(606,787 ,875)and u shd look out for a good floorstanders/bookshelves instead of sub/sat,,,,,and as for music a reciever will sound crap!!!

Thanks Subash...floorstanders would not fit into my home decor....but I am going to re-audition the AVRs (the 606,787 ,875)...this weekend maybe.

Cheers.

Audio pundits? Ha ha. Dude your ears are the best judge ever...

Go with what you like/appeals to you budgetary constraints taken into consideration.

It did sound great...but wanted some assurances from the "pundits" to ensure that this combo does not conflict with each other...:confused:

Thanks buddy....

Last edited:
It did sound great...but wanted some assurances from the "pundits" to ensure that this combo does not conflict with each other...:confused: Thanks buddy....

The Onkyo 575 pumps out 80 watts per channel and the Elac Sats can handle 75 per channel. So I would say they are well matched.

The Jamo sub will go down to 28Hz and give your 300 watts of peak power.

I would say this is a good combination, technically. Sound is something you have to listen to and like. As I said before, if you like the sound go for it.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks.

if you listen mostly to music why dont you look at a 2.1 system. or even a good 2.0 system. you'll get much better sound quality. whats your budget

if you listen mostly to music why dont you look at a 2.1 system. or even a good 2.0 system. you'll get much better sound quality. whats your budget

I would agree with afj here. Just a pair of Audioengine A5 speakers rock my boat for the music. That's for mp3s played from my PC system, not even Audio CD. If possible audition the Audioengine A5, you will be surprised at what they do.

Thanks Subash...floorstanders would not fit into my home decor....but I am going to re-audition the AVRs (the 606,787 ,875)...this weekend maybe.

Cheers.

Hello Kairalee ... Welcome aboard :)

You are right ... I have also heard the Jamo subwoofer ... It is pretty good for its price.

As fellow-pal Subhash suggested, try to go for the bookshelves instead of satellite speakers. There will be a lot of difference in sound. Atleast try to have a pair of bookshelves only for the fronts ... by this you will have a much better sound especially while listening music in stereo/direct mode.

Cheers,
Ramesh

Well I mostly listen to music...but have to consider the rest of the family's preferences...which is movies....with a budget of around 60K...I cant afford to go in for two systems...one for music and another for movies.

2.1/2.0 is undoubtedly for music lovers...but i need to compromise here...:mad:

So maybe as hifipal4all and subash suggested, I may go in for bookshelves, at least for the fronts....

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I would agree with afj here. Just a pair of Audioengine A5 speakers rock my boat for the music. That's for mp3s played from my PC system, not even Audio CD. If possible audition the Audioengine A5, you will be surprised at what they do.

2.0/2.1 systems are out of the question buddy...i may get banished from the living room if i go for that :)

5.1/7.1 is a must have.....(family pressure :))

Hello Kairalee ... Welcome aboard :)

You are right ... I have also heard the Jamo subwoofer ... It is pretty good for its price.

As fellow-pal Subhash suggested, try to go for the bookshelves instead of satellite speakers. There will be a lot of difference in sound. Atleast try to have a pair of bookshelves only for the fronts ... by this you will have a much better sound especially while listening music in stereo/direct mode.

Cheers,
Ramesh

Thanks hifipal4all...

...Bookshelves only for the fronts is a good idea....will audition that and come back with an update...

...any suggestions on a good bookshelf set...I am auditioning the Elac 200 SERIES-BS 203.2 and the Onkyo D302-E bookshelves this weekend.

Thanks....

thanks...

Thanks hifipal4all...

...Bookshelves only for the fronts is a good idea....will audition that and come back with an update...

...any suggestions on a good bookshelf set...I am auditioning the Elac 200 SERIES-BS 203.2 and the Onkyo D302-E bookshelves this weekend.

Thanks....

thanks...

You are welcome pal .... I don't recommend any speakers of Onkyo. In my opinion & experience Onkyo brand speakers are not that good for music. So avoid Onkyo speakers an try the Elac.

Cheers,
Ramesh
NOTE: I have sent a PM to you.

hi,definetly onkyos are not meant for speakers,try out mezzo2 from morduant short, warfadale diamond series,or even jamos may hav good bookshelfs,keep looking out, but definetly not onkyo for speakers,u cud may be try out yamahas they are bak into speakers ,,,all the best

hi,definetly onkyos are not meant for speakers,try out mezzo2 from morduant short, warfadale diamond series,or even jamos may hav good bookshelfs,keep looking out, but definetly not onkyo for speakers,u cud may be try out yamahas they are bak into speakers ,,,all the best

Ok..so onkyo speakers are out...didnt realise that they are not even an option :eek:

Thanks guys!...its Jamo and Elac in this weekend audition.

Last edited:
Ok...so auditioned the following combo last weekend:

AVR: Onkyo TX SR575
Sub: Jamo Sub 300
Surround/fronts: Elac Cinema 1 Sats
Center: Elac CENTER 1 CM

I liked what I heard...played several of my favourite CDs and DVDs...(the rest of the family approved too), so went ahead and bought it...installed it and am enjoying every minute of it.

I did check out the bookshelves (Elacs, B&W and Polk). It did sound better, but i did not find that much of a difference to justify the cost difference between the Cinema Sats and the bookshelves...so voted against them. The Sats are doing a great job!

Thanks to everyone here... venkatcr, hifipal4all, subash, moserw ...your advice helped me very much.

Will post ownership experience in a few days.....

cheers.

Last edited:
Ok...so auditioned the following combo last weekend:

AVR: Onkyo TX SR575
Sub: Jamo Sub 300
Surround/fronts: Elac Cinema 1 Sats
Center: Elac CENTER 1 CM

I liked what I heard...played several of my favourite CDs and DVDs...(the rest of the family approved too), so went ahead and bought it...installed it and am enjoying every minute of it.

I did check out the bookshelves (Elacs, B&W and Polk). It did sound better, but i did not find that much of a difference to justify the cost difference between the Cinema Sats and the bookshelves...so voted against them. The Sats are doing a great job!

Thanks to everyone here... venkatcr, hifipal4all, subash, moserw ...your advice helped me very much.

Will post ownership experience in a few days.....

cheers.

Very happy for you kairalee! Have a blast and do disturb the neighbors (though not too much I suppose).

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back