Need floorstanding speakers under 50k.

reddysarvesh

Hello,
I am looking for floor standing speakers for my music system, Usually I am looking for floor standing with 6-1/2 to 8'' woofers , Please suggest me speakers which are worth money and good sound quality not brand value. I Was impressed of KEF Q900 which is almost 120000/-, are they worth buying or just brand value but when I check taga Harmony floor standing they are just available for 50k - 60k are they good.

Hi, Speakers are the first priority in the home theater system where more money should be allocated to it because they are the only future proof which can last long for 10 to 15 years.. Having said this, I would suggest to choose the speakers depending on the power and quality of the receiver / stereo amp you own now. Few things to consider here,
we need to look at the sensitivity in the floor standers, something like 89db or 91db.. the more the number indicates how much louder they can get and at the same time leaves the AVR to drive them with less power.
Secondly, (ohms) impedence choose between 8 and 6.. which are standards now for most of the floor standers in market today.. 4 ohms speakers requires more power and stress the AVR than the 6 or 8 ohms speakers. This is because 4 ohms speakers can get much louder than 6 and 8 ohms.
Third comes the frequency part - As floor standers have larger enclosures they tend to produce low and mid frequencies and hence anything below 42hz can definitely sound good. Usually the crossover inside the cabinet will split the single signal from AVR to high, low and mid frequencies where the highs will be directed to the tweeter and lows will be directed to the woofers and the mids will be directed to mid range cones. This is called 3 way system. The mid range cone dont move quite fast as the woofer because of the frequency split.

Coming to the suggestions... When buying speakers always choose European or American because they know whats best!
Taga TAV or platinum series are budget speaker system which can be paired with entry to mid receiver series - can save money as well but audition them first (616F, 806F, 606F) I am trying to get some reviews for 806F for myself...
Wharfedale 230 or 240 - little expensive ones 40 to 60k - excellent quality
Other brands like Klipch, KEF or Polk will cost a lot more

You may also see Energy CF 50 or 70 but I dont know if this is sold individually anywhere in India. In my opinion, I wouldn't spend 1,00,000 on just the floor standers and it is my personal opinion. Just do the analysis, the sq feet of living room and power of your amp and do the selection.
1Lakh is a lot of money to complete a great 7.2 set up. Ultimately, it is your call :)

Theres a pair of B&W Floor standers on sale in the forum. If you can step up the budget a little (which i definitely recommend), the b&w's will be tremendous value.

I agree with the option of B&W above but then a b&w floor stand will need lot of power to drive, lot of it. Which a budget AVR is incapable to produce.

My Yamaha 371 AVR can't even drive my b&w bookshelves. It comes on its knee to produce acceptable SPL, leave alone driving the woofer properly.

For HT fronts you can look likes of Taga Harmony, Wharfedale or Sonodyne within your budget.

Kef q900 is again a serious FS for stereo and would need muscular amp to drive them properly, AVR will not be their ideal partner.

I dont think the op has mentioned what amp he is using? (Or did i miss it?).
Anyway, the b&w's are pretty sensitive. Any modern mid range avr should drive them fine for a large to medium room size.
I find the whole idea of "driving the speakers" to be preposterous. 100 watt avr amps can drive anything; much less be brought to knees. Unless ofcourse the amp is literally driving a vehicle, in which case anything is possible! Hehehhe.
Jokes aside, it is absolutely true that a dedicated stereo amp will give a better, larger stage for the b&w's to perform. But since the OP is set on buying speakers, i'd recommend get the best his budget can afford at the moment. Then ofcourse in time he can upgrade the amp, completing his setup.

Thanks for detail explanation, What about KEF Q900, are they worth buying,
My big doubt is are they worth buying instead I can buy same standard speakers in other brand with less price
And regarding stereo amplifier I am planning to buy Cambridge cxa60.

I dont think the op has mentioned what amp he is using? (Or did i miss it?).
Anyway, the b&w's are pretty sensitive. Any modern mid range avr should drive them fine for a large to medium room size.
I find the whole idea of "driving the speakers" to be preposterous. 100 watt avr amps can drive anything; much less be brought to knees. Unless ofcourse the amp is literally driving a vehicle, in which case anything is possible! Hehehhe.
Jokes aside, it is absolutely true that a dedicated stereo amp will give a better, larger stage for the b&w's to perform. But since the OP is set on buying speakers, i'd recommend get the best his budget can afford at the moment. Then ofcourse in time he can upgrade the amp, completing his setup.
Sir can you suggest me good standard speakers that are worth for price.

Hi, Speakers are the first priority in the home theater system where more money should be allocated to it because they are the only future proof which can last long for 10 to 15 years.. Having said this, I would suggest to choose the speakers depending on the power and quality of the receiver / stereo amp you own now. Few things to consider here,
we need to look at the sensitivity in the floor standers, something like 89db or 91db.. the more the number indicates how much louder they can get and at the same time leaves the AVR to drive them with less power.
Secondly, (ohms) impedence choose between 8 and 6.. which are standards now for most of the floor standers in market today.. 4 ohms speakers requires more power and stress the AVR than the 6 or 8 ohms speakers. This is because 4 ohms speakers can get much louder than 6 and 8 ohms.
Third comes the frequency part - As floor standers have larger enclosures they tend to produce low and mid frequencies and hence anything below 42hz can definitely sound good. Usually the crossover inside the cabinet will split the single signal from AVR to high, low and mid frequencies where the highs will be directed to the tweeter and lows will be directed to the woofers and the mids will be directed to mid range cones. This is called 3 way system. The mid range cone dont move quite fast as the woofer because of the frequency split.

Coming to the suggestions... When buying speakers always choose European or American because they know whats best!
Taga TAV or platinum series are budget speaker system which can be paired with entry to mid receiver series - can save money as well but audition them first (616F, 806F, 606F) I am trying to get some reviews for 806F for myself...
Wharfedale 230 or 240 - little expensive ones 40 to 60k - excellent quality
Other brands like Klipch, KEF or Polk will cost a lot more

You may also see Energy CF 50 or 70 but I dont know if this is sold individually anywhere in India. In my opinion, I wouldn't spend 1,00,000 on just the floor standers and it is my personal opinion. Just do the analysis, the sq feet of living room and power of your amp and do the selection.
1Lakh is a lot of money to complete a great 7.2 set up. Ultimately, it is your call :)
Thanks a lot, very good explanation. My concern is why I have to pay large amount for speakers that are just raw speakers and wooden boxes, I am just worries whether that, what ever I buy is it worth or simply I am paying for brand. Sorry for my irritating reply. Please if you want to suggest me any floor standing speakers that are worth please suggest me.

Sir can you suggest me good standard speakers that are worth for price.

Like I said, the B&Ws would be right on the money for your purpose if you look to buy used and can extend your budget.
If you do intend to go for new ones and can buy the KEF 900s may I suggest the Dynaudio emit series. Like the emit m30. But that may be stretching the budget too much.

You could also look at indian brands like Sonodyne, Norge and Corrson.

Infact, before we discuss speakers; please enumerate certain details:

1. Room size ?
2. Purpose (av/music) ?
3. Fixed budget (or range) ?

Like I said, the B&Ws would be right on the money for your purpose if you look to buy used and can extend your budget.
If you do intend to go for new ones and can buy the KEF 900s may I suggest the Dynaudio emit series. Like the emit m30. But that may be stretching the budget too much.

You could also look at indian brands like Sonodyne, Norge and Corrson.

Infact, before we discuss speakers; please enumerate certain details:

1. Room size ?
2. Purpose (av/music) ?
3. Fixed budget (or range) ?

My purpose is for Music, room size: 15ft x 12ft approx, budget: 40k to 70k.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, very good explanation. My concern is why I have to pay large amount for speakers that are just raw speakers and wooden boxes, I am just worries whether that, what ever I buy is it worth or simply I am paying for brand. Sorry for my irritating reply. Please if you want to suggest me any floor standing speakers that are worth please suggest me.

Well, its the quality of sound for which we pay matters here. There are established brands which have been doing this for years and therefore are pricier... If Mahesh Babu quotes crores for a movie, there's something that attracts him, correct for being approached by directors :)
We need to realize few facts here for ourselves because we have so many opinions, reviews and sources out on internet which avoids us to first understand what our need is!

Based on your primary need to listen music, I have few suggestions for you for speakers.. Its not thing necessary to have floor standing speakers.. They are large and produce low frequency waves but if you have a subwoofer I dont see a need for it! Floorstanders are meant to disperse sound for a larger sound stage but the question is, is it really necessary for your room? :) Assuming you preference of music is all kinds, a pair of quality bookshelf speakers is more than enough. They are very less expensive and detailed and capable of being equally loud for your room size. For music it is all about detail and lovelyness.. The guitar, drums, piano, trumphets needs to be felt.. Quality bookshelf speakers which are priced as the budgeted floor standing speakers can encourage you listen to any kinds of music for hours, trust me. These speakers are crisper, sweeter and can blend well with sub woofers.

Here are the few options
Elac B6
Q Acoustics 2010i
Q Acoustics 3020
Wharfedale 220 or 225

For this room size you are much better off with good bookshelves; probably that and a sub and you will be rolling! All the above brands mentioned by fellow fms are top notch. Auditioning is the key!

On a side note, what are your music interests? If youre not into modern genres such as hip hop or dubstep etc, may i recommend getting horn speakers. Mr Viren Bakshi of Lyrita makes nice ones and they would probably be in or around your budget.

Well, its the quality of sound for which we pay matters here. There are established brands which have been doing this for years and therefore are pricier... If Mahesh Babu quotes crores for a movie, there's something that attracts him, correct for being approached by directors :)
We need to realize few facts here for ourselves because we have so many opinions, reviews and sources out on internet which avoids us to first understand what our need is!

Based on your primary need to listen music, I have few suggestions for you for speakers.. Its not thing necessary to have floor standing speakers.. They are large and produce low frequency waves but if you have a subwoofer I dont see a need for it! Floorstanders are meant to disperse sound for a larger sound stage but the question is, is it really necessary for your room? :) Assuming you preference of music is all kinds, a pair of quality bookshelf speakers is more than enough. They are very less expensive and detailed and capable of being equally loud for your room size. For music it is all about detail and lovelyness.. The guitar, drums, piano, trumphets needs to be felt.. Quality bookshelf speakers which are priced as the budgeted floor standing speakers can encourage you listen to any kinds of music for hours, trust me. These speakers are crisper, sweeter and can blend well with sub woofers.

Here are the few options
Elac B6
Q Acoustics 2010i
Q Acoustics 3020
Wharfedale 220 or 225
Thanks Shankar...

Audition them first mate. Walk into modern world domlur or whitefield forum mall or htstore or jamsticks or profx opp to phoenix mall for audition if you haven't done yet.. meanwhile check out demo on you tube for these speakers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back