Need genuine advice on buying Philips 40pfl5059 led tv

sanchits

Hi guys, I have finalized the philips 40 inch 40pfl5059 TV as its extremely value for money and I am getting a great deal on flipkart along with 3 yrs warranty.
Now I am already a Philips LCD user and currently using and bought way back in 2010 philips 32pfl5049 LCD TV which also had quote a few fans on this forum.

It has been an awesome TV and I have no issue buying a Philips again as I find this TVs pixel plus engine way better compared to other Sony n nsamsung tvs of its time. I already have a Sony LCD n this one is way superior in PQ...PERIOD.

also the price n the 3 yr warranty has made me finalize this TV. So I don't need any other r options like Samsung or Sony as I have made my mind on this TV.

I just need fellow members opinion of this TV n how good is its pixel precise engine and if I can get a hands on review from a user of this paritcualr model it will be great.

My last Philips was also bought after recommendations of members from this forum itself Andi coundt be happier.
I have not able to find any reviews ofthis model on Google apart from actual user reviews onflipkart n snapdeal which seem quite favourable. But want a review from you guys since I know that experts are all present here.
Regards

Hi guys, I have finalized the philips 40 inch 40pfl5059 TV as its extremely value for money and I am getting a great deal on flipkart along with 3 yrs warranty.
Now I am already a Philips LCD user and currently using and bought way back in 2010 philips 32pfl5049 LCD TV which also had quote a few fans on this forum.

It has been an awesome TV and I have no issue buying a Philips again as I find this TVs pixel plus engine way better compared to other Sony n nsamsung tvs of its time. I already have a Sony LCD n this one is way superior in PQ...PERIOD.

also the price n the 3 yr warranty has made me finalize this TV. So I don't need any other r options like Samsung or Sony as I have made my mind on this TV.

I just need fellow members opinion of this TV n how good is its pixel precise engine and if I can get a hands on review from a user of this paritcualr model it will be great.

My last Philips was also bought after recommendations of members from this forum itself Andi coundt be happier.
I have not able to find any reviews ofthis model on Google apart from actual user reviews onflipkart n snapdeal which seem quite favourable. But want a review from you guys since I know that experts are all present here.
Regards

Tagging @spirovious

Reviews on Flipkart seem positive and the price of 30k is pretty decent too considering 3 yrs warranty included. I would suggest you go for it, it seems like a very good choice.

Reviews on Flipkart seem positive and the price of 30k is pretty decent too considering 3 yrs warranty included. I would suggest you go for it, it seems like a very good choice.

Thanks and I have already bought one based on the positive user reviews on flipkart and snapdeal.
Hope it turns out to be good. By the way, Philips TVs in India are being assembled by a copnay called PE electornics and are being made here in India and not China.

Yes, the price, 3 yr warranty and the 12 month emi option with interest components cash back is what attracted me towards Philips.
Since I was already a satisfied Philips 32pfl 5049 LCD TV user, it only made the decision easier.
It also has Philips precise pixel engine and supposedly uses a VA panel over an IPS, this was confirmed by of the technical head working for PE Electrnics.

Congrats on your purchase....Post some pics with your observations.... Share your experience with Flipkart, logistics & installation stuff...

Can't recollect where i read this information... Yes..Philips, Samsung and Sony use VA panels while LG, Panasonic use IPS panels...

Got the TV installed today and I am very happy with flipkarts service and also Philips promptly sending their installer.
The only fly in the ointment was the remote control is not working, dead on arrival. So I have logged in a complaint with Philips for replacement.

Initial observations are pretty positive, after tweaking the picture settings I have managed to tonedownth epicture and make it more natural n realistic.
Though the reds n shades of reds are still quite pronounced even after tweaking.

The worse point is that the settings are sparse, hardly anything apart from basic picture settings.
I am also quite surprised that there is no option of turning the 240hz perfect motion rate feature on/off. AFAIK all the TVs which xomewiht this motion interpolation feature today have an option to turn it off or on.
This one doesn't show this option in the settings menu. The box nsoecs clearly say it comes with 240hz PMR.
Now I don't know whether this is on by default and there is No way to turn it off. Any pointers ?

I wish I had more picture tweaking options n form the precise pixel HD setting option I have returned everything off like dynamic contrast n dynamic backlighitng n noise reduction to off.

I wish there was a way where in I can tone down the reds. Any pointers ?
But yes, for the money I think its a decent buy.

Congrats sanchits.
Any reason you wish to turn off the 240hz PMR?
Wish to know what picture setting options you are missing.
How are the audio quality and options to tweak the same?
Thanks!

Got the TV installed today and I am very happy with flipkarts service and also Philips promptly sending their installer.
The only fly in the ointment was the remote control is not working, dead on arrival. So I have logged in a complaint with Philips for replacement.

Initial observations are pretty positive, after tweaking the picture settings I have managed to tonedownth epicture and make it more natural n realistic.
Though the reds n shades of reds are still quite pronounced even after tweaking.

The worse point is that the settings are sparse, hardly anything apart from basic picture settings.
I am also quite surprised that there is no option of turning the 240hz perfect motion rate feature on/off. AFAIK all the TVs which xomewiht this motion interpolation feature today have an option to turn it off or on.
This one doesn't show this option in the settings menu. The box nsoecs clearly say it comes with 240hz PMR.
Now I don't know whether this is on by default and there is No way to turn it off. Any pointers ?

I wish I had more picture tweaking options n form the precise pixel HD setting option I have returned everything off like dynamic contrast n dynamic backlighitng n noise reduction to off.

I wish there was a way where in I can tone down the reds. Any pointers ?
But yes, for the money I think its a decent buy.

Congrats sanchits.
Any reason you wish to turn off the 240hz PMR?
Wish to know what picture setting options you are missing.
How are the audio quality and options to tweak the same?
Thanks!

Thanks.
Well, I feel that due to the PMR I am getting a soap opera effect in some movie channels. I may just be paranoid now n it could just be a placebo, but I wished it had a way where in we could switch it off n on to see the difference.
Also there is a bit of ghosting in SD video...not bad but clearly visible to a person who is used to LCD displays n have viewed one without any ghosting.
AFAIK this motion interpolation also causes ghosting,of its side effects.
My previous Philips 32" 5409 LCD which I have been using for 5 yrsnow didn't have any such things like PMR and the best part was its natural PQ and nil ghosting or haloaing.

I don't know if its called ghosting or smearing which becomes viisble in fats moving scenes in SD.

Well, I wished it had the white balance tweaking option along with a CMS where in we could tweak the hue, saturation etc for RGB colors. This way I couldve got the best out of the PQ.
I never expected that even after 5 yrs, Philips would give eme the same picture setting options I had in my previous LCD.
This tvbeing from 5000 series, I least expected some advanced picture settings.
I think its due to the indianphilips being made by videcon/PE electronics, I am sure that international version would definitely have a better menu and advanced settings.

Rgadring audio, its tiny n hollow sounding, as is with most led TVs today. I have attached my onkyo home theater speakers in stereo mode, so I am good.
Though for audio thrr is an surround mode, equalizer n bass,treble settings. But I haven't messed with that n left it as it is.

For me alls good, I wish it had on/off toggle for 240hz pmr n RGB settings.
I think I'll get used to the popping reds with time, overall I am satisfied with the PQ.

Do you think I could play around with adaptive contrasst n backlight ? In my previous TV I kept all this off since it caused distractions n was noticeable while adapting.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Well, I feel that due to the PMR I am getting a soap opera effect in some movie channels. I may just be paranoid now n it could just be a placebo, but I wished it had a way where in we could switch it off n on to see the difference.
Also there is a bit of ghosting in SD video...not bad but clearly visible to a person who is used to LCD displays n have viewed one without any ghosting.
AFAIK this motion interpolation also causes ghosting,of its side effects.
My previous Philips 32" 5409 LCD which I have been using for 5 yrsnow didn't have any such things like PMR and the best part was its natural PQ and nil ghosting or haloaing.

I don't know if its called ghosting or smearing which becomes viisble in fats moving scenes in SD.

Well, I wished it had the white balance tweaking option along with a CMS where in we could tweak the hue, saturation etc for RGB colors. This way I couldve got the best out of the PQ.
I never expected that even after 5 yrs, Philips would give eme the same picture setting options I had in my previous LCD.
This tvbeing from 5000 series, I least expected some advanced picture settings.
I think its due to the indianphilips being made by videcon/PE electronics, I am sure that international version would definitely have a better menu and advanced settings.

Rgadring audio, its tiny n hollow sounding, as is with most led TVs today. I have attached my onkyo home theater speakers in stereo mode, so I am good.
Though for audio thrr is an surround mode, equalizer n bass,treble settings. But I haven't messed with that n left it as it is.

For me alls good, I wish it had on/off toggle for 240hz pmr n RGB settings.
I think I'll get used to the popping reds with time, overall I am satisfied with the PQ.

Do you think I could play around with adaptive contrasst n backlight ? In my previous TV I kept all this off since it caused distractions n was noticeable while adapting.

Another review in continuation of the above review. Today I had tweaked the picture settings further using colors TV channel as reference. I m glad that I have managed to make the PQ much better and have managed to tone down the reds in the picture.

The smearing I was seeing in fast moving scene is I beoeive is mainly due to the source as on colors TV there is hadly any smearing or halo effect. Will confirm this after watching n tweaking HD content, that how much its effected by it.

But, Now I can give the PQ an 8/10 easily...at least SD. The one thing that I loved about my previous philips LCD was its ability to produce fantastic n most natural n realistic PQ specially SD which is an Achilles heal for most brands even today. Quite a few Philips LCD/led owners on this forum will vouch for it.
Now i can say, this TV is also getting closer to that. I wish there where RGB settings as well...to individually control colors, then it couldve been almost perfect.
I've been busy tweaking the picture for the past few days and have not played around with other sources or USB. Will keep posting reviews as n when I go about em.

But yes, one thing i am sure about and also confirmed by the guy from PE electronics (manufacturing/mkt philips TV in India) that they are using a VA panel is that blacks are very deep and doesn't have a great viewing angle.
AFAIK an IPS panel is completely opposite in both the above cases.

Last edited:
Great going @sanchits.... Very good observations.. Looks like you were short of professional calibration material, else you might have tweaked it for the best quality :eek:hyeah:

I hope your old Philips TV is LCD-CCFL back-lit where as the new model is LCD- LED (Direct LED) ones.. PLease share your feedback on screen brightness, uniformity from your observations....

BTW i think your TV doesn't support HDMI-ARC function ?

Hi Sanchit, I hv also own the same model can you please send me the picture settings you did for your 40'' tv.

Hi Sanchit, I hv also own the same model can you please send me the picture settings you did for your 40'' tv.

Hey, finally nice to interact with someone who owns the same TV. Couldn't find anyone when I wanted purchase it.
Well, as of now these r the settings I am using on SD DTH. Haven't set HD settings as t
Of now.

Contrast 38
Brightness 46
Color 39
Sharpness 20

Backlight 4

Pixel precise - everything off

I want u ask u something, does your TV have any option of turn off/on the 240hz perfect motion rate ?

Great going @sanchits.... Very good observations.. Looks like you were short of professional calibration material, else you might have tweaked it for the best quality :eek:hyeah:

I hope your old Philips TV is LCD-CCFL back-lit where as the new model is LCD- LED (Direct LED) ones.. PLease share your feedback on screen brightness, uniformity from your observations....

BTW i think your TV doesn't support HDMI-ARC function ?

Yes, my old Philips was LCD ccfl and the new one Is direct lit led. Backlight is pretty much uniform being a direct lit led n not an edge lit. I couldn't notice any blacklight bleed etc.

Yes, I don't think it has HDMI arc option. But its fine, I watch movies via my ps3 or tab via HDMI which goes thru my onkyo receiver which is then connected to one of the HDMI input.

For the DTH..I have connected an rca out to 3.5mm to my receiver. So alls good.

I miss advanced color management/rgb settings...if it had I wouldve bought the 50 incher in a heartbeat.
I hope by next yr we get more range by Philips maybe with the top tier processing engine perfect pixel with advanced pq settings as a vfm offering.

I got this TV day before yesterday. Picture quality is nice in HD. Not so good with SD, maybe higher pixelation.

@sanchits: I did not find any optiom to turn ON 240Hz. I guess you need to have a data souce/input with that frequency. Am on Airtel HD connection, it's working on 1080p-60Hz. If you have PlayStation or something which can stream at higher frequency then it can go up to 240Hz I guess. that's my understanding though :eek:hyeah:

Am using Chromecast to stream Youtube videos, it's playing well.

btw I tried your calibration settings, it's looking pretty dark, maybe my living room is more light up. am okay with default settings on HD input.

I got this TV day before yesterday. Picture quality is nice in HD. Not so good with SD, maybe higher pixelation.

@sanchits: I did not find any optiom to turn ON 240Hz. I guess you need to have a data souce/input with that frequency. Am on Airtel HD connection, it's working on 1080p-60Hz. If you have PlayStation or something which can stream at higher frequency then it can go up to 240Hz I guess. that's my understanding though :eek:hyeah:

Am using Chromecast to stream Youtube videos, it's playing well.

btw I tried your calibration settings, it's looking pretty dark, maybe my living room is more light up. am okay with default settings on HD input.

Well...the settings are for SD only...n doesn't look dark at all. I have a airtel SD DTH connection.
For HD I haven't tweaked the settings yet.

I disagree about the SD PQ....its fantastic n I don't see any pixelation...not best but I would give it 8/10 after tweaking the picture settings.
Yes, at factory setting n presets I also didn't like the PQ...but after 2-3 days of tweaking I have finally hit the sweet spot.
So it requires trial n error to get the pq right, but this is with every brand be it sony or Samsung etc.

yesterday I was testing it out. Airtel HD is connected through HDMI cable. When I connect with RCA cable, picture quality changes slightly, degrades for HD channels for sure but for SD channels I see good aspect ratio. Maybe little better PQ too, hard to compare.

@sachits: you found anything with motion blur/refresh rate? It's very noticeable sometimes.

yesterday I was testing it out. Airtel HD is connected through HDMI cable. When I connect with RCA cable, picture quality changes slightly, degrades for HD channels for sure but for SD channels I see good aspect ratio. Maybe little better PQ too, hard to compare.

@sachits: you found anything with motion blur/refresh rate? It's very noticeable sometimes.

Well...u will have to figure out different picture settings for HDMI n RCA inputs. Quality can't degrade for HD channels...don't go by factory settings or presets, tweak them manually n I am sure u'll get the desired PQ.

NOP...there I sno option to turn off/on the 240hz PMR.
Well, initially I did see motion blur /smearing but not anymore, just few channels or when they r showing some old content/movies then I see some blurring.

@sanchits: you tried playing videos from USB? it's not giving option to show other than 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio. so videos with other format(there are very common) are getting stretched to full screen, instead of Black Bars on top and bottom, not so natural :-(

I think you are referring to movies in 21:9 format where you get black bars on top & bottom.... Am sure there must be some menu in the settings that you may have over-looked...

Try this.. When the video is playing on the TV, press the settings menu.. you should get options...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back