Need help building a custom Home Theater and 2 additional music systems

sumitarv

Hi,
I am a complete neophyte in HT area.Am looking for a Home Theatre and 2 additional music systems.I have only auditioned Bose and it sounded good.But I have heard a lot of bad reviews and it being not worth the value.Budget is not that much a prob.So please advise me on the same.Awaiting all ur experts valuable suggestions.

Trust me, sky is the limit when you embrace this hobby.

+1 to that. I can suggest a 30 lakh system for music alone + similar for HT at a much greater price.

Dude show us the money - we will give you the solution. Bose is the crap - subjecting myself to bose on a nissan 350z with 250 horses under the hood was a painful experience i will never forget. Long live vegas - down with Bose with over emphasized highs and lows.

BTW i just pmed you back regardign the same query you made.

You could take a look at some active loudspeaker systems. Active systems offer many obvious advantages, they are designed with individual amplifiers tailored for each speaker driver with active crossovers allowing perfect frequency division and electronic time and phase alignment between drivers. Also inbuilt calibration controls to match the acoustic loading of the room they are installed in. Result is extremely high performance which is quite difficult for most passive speaker systems to match.

You could visit the Genelec demo room in Mahim Mumbai for a demo Genelec Oy - Distributors
You wont be disappointed, I assure you

Last edited:
Hi,
I am a complete neophyte in HT area.Am looking for a Home Theatre and 2 additional music systems.I have only auditioned Bose and it sounded good.But I have heard a lot of bad reviews and it being not worth the value.Budget is not that much a prob.So please advise me on the same.Awaiting all ur experts valuable suggestions.

budget, room size, music you listen to would help in us giving suggestions. but whatever it is, forget about bose

Sorry guys if my info was not upto d mark.
here's d complete info......
Budget for HT is 1.25 lacs(excluding LCD TV)
budget for the 2 systems:40 k each
For HT:
area:is 35*22
Ht for both music as well as movies
music and movies both mostly bollywood
not much of rock for me

For 2 systems:
area:is 11*18 ard 200 sq ft.
for both music and movies
but mainly music

plz if u r using ny technical jargon plz let me know........

you will need an audio video receiver (AVR), speakers (2 fronts 2 surrounds center and subwoofer ) and a DVD player for HTS . Alternatively u can buy what is known as a home theater in a box or HTIB which is a combination of these from a single brand
Latter is easier to decide on but for a 1.25 lac budget a component based system would give better music and movie experience

Some commonly preferred brands/ models in India are as follows
DVD player- pioneer610 philips5996
AVR - denon 1909 yamaha663
Speakers- wharfedale , KEF , polk audio,mission, monitor audio bronze series etc will fit into your budget

In this forum the prferred brands /mode

For HT:
not much of rock for me

For 2 systems:
but mainly music

For HT, folloiwng will be a excellent system.

DVP Philips 5996/Pioneer 610, Yamaha 663 AVR, Wharfe 9.5 FS, Wharfe 9.CM Center, Wharfe 9.DFS Surround, Wharfe 9.SR/9.0 for surround back, Wharfw SW250 Sub.

For, music systems Go for CADV99 DVP 10 K +CA 540A Stereo Amp 20-22K+ Wharfe9.5 about 25-27K/Misison FS 18-24K combo. Setup wud be around 50-55K as per ur choice of SPeaker.

Ne of the above combo won't disappoint u.

In the end, Audition multiple choices and decide as per choice.

Happy Hunting.

Last edited:
guys plz let me know some outlets where i can audition stuff.........also more options will be valuable

For HT:
not much of rock for me

For 2 systems:
but mainly music

imo the kef iq series would do nicely for the home theatre for speakers. you could also look at the monitor audio bronze series. as for an amp to match - marantz or onkyo. if youre buying a sub you dont really require floorstanders for the fronts - bookshelves would do

recommend the same speakers for the stereo set ups. go for bookshelves. amps you would be looking at nad / cambridge / marantz in no particular order.

decide on the speakers first and then we can help with the rest of the set up

guys let me know which components have what uses..........meaning how's the audio/video affected by a particular component.....so that i can invest more on the more effective component........and Mumbaikars plz let me know some stores to audition

Hey Sumit

Gttcha link through your PM....

Buddy, i am not very clear on your requirements mainly for your music systems, and need 2-3 more answers on for HT...
so either shoot me a PM or mail me on my official id...
maybe i can provide you some solution...

guys just wanted to know is it necessary to have the electrical wiring done beforehand.....as in do i need to choose the systems before i do the wiring...........coz i'll be requiring the HT only after a year as the site is in construction now...but will need to do the wiring..............plz help on d same.........

guys just wanted to know is it necessary to have the electrical wiring done beforehand.....as in do i need to choose the systems before i do the wiring...........coz i'll be requiring the HT only after a year as the site is in construction now...but will need to do the wiring..............plz help on d same.........

well it does look much better with the wires for the speakers concealed in the walls so plan a bit on your general speaker placement and put in the cables. much neater that way instead of cables going over the walls and floor

so u mean to say the system can be finalised later only the placement needs to be finalised now.........

so u mean to say the system can be finalised later only the placement needs to be finalised now.........

Yes, have "separate" 1 or 3/4th inch electrical pipes laid in the wall (from the place where your Amp will be placed) and may be an in-wall box for 2-switch plate at each location where your speakers are going to be placed. The box for switch plate is optional and you may go for any other option which will provide you with an opening.

You can get the wiring for speakers done once your system is ready for installation.

Hi guys,
2day was my first audition day...and i must tel u quiet an enjoyable experience.
First of all i auditioned Harman Kardon AVR-133 with JBL speakers 140 BK.....really liked it.Then came Sonodyne speakers with CA AZUR 540R receiver......didn't like it much,cant say abt CA though coz i have no idea how to select a AVR.Then i moved on to Marantz AVR(dont remember the model) with ENergy and Mirage speakers......must tel u an awesome experience.Finally Denon 1709 with KEF 2005.2 and Polk RTi A5....KEF was just too good.So what say guys.....

Hi guys,
2day was my first audition day...and i must tel u quiet an enjoyable experience.
First of all i auditioned Harman Kardon AVR-133 with JBL speakers 140 BK.....really liked it.Then came Sonodyne speakers with CA AZUR 540R receiver......didn't like it much,cant say abt CA though coz i have no idea how to select a AVR.Then i moved on to Marantz AVR(dont remember the model) with ENergy and Mirage speakers......must tel u an awesome experience.Finally Denon 1709 with KEF 2005.2 and Polk RTi A5....KEF was just too good.So what say guys.....

imo from the speakers you've auditioned go for the kefs. for the avr you must try onkyo too. im against hk because when it comes to music it messes up big time. the marantz is good as well. if music matters to you then keep the cambridge in the race

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back