Need help for basic HTPC

Yes you can use the drive bay directly connected to the htpc. When you do not want to use the htpc and want to use media player then just disconnect the drive bay from htpc and connect to the media player. I was referring to this cumbersome process to avoid when I said that if you have a wifi router with usb port then you can use this drive connected to the router both for the htpc as well as media player.

Do you seriously think that I will use media player AND HTPC both ? :D

Isn't HTPC is a replacement of media player ?

Do you seriously think that I will use media player AND HTPC both ? :D

Isn't HTPC is a replacement of media player ?

Yes htpc is a replacement. Oh yes why will you use but I think there are some people who use both as they feel media player is a good option for hassle free playback with very less power consumption (like say a bedroom setup). I saw lots of threads on using both in avsforum. But if you ask me I have a htpc and a asus o play mini media player (in my Dad's bedroom) but he prefers to watch on htpc only but late night viewing he prefers to watch on a 26" tv with media player which is easy to handle rather to power on the htpc to 42" tv in the living room.

Yes htpc is a replacement. Oh yes why will you use but I think there are some people who use both as they feel media player is a good option for hassle free playback with very less power consumption (like say a bedroom setup). I saw lots of threads on using both in avsforum. But if you ask me I have a htpc and a asus o play mini media player (in my Dad's bedroom) but he prefers to watch on htpc only but late night viewing he prefers to watch on a 26" tv with media player which is easy to handle rather to power on the htpc to 42" tv in the living room.

Yeah, media player will be there but as you mentioned, in another room. I don't see use of media player and HTPC connected to same AVR/TV. :)

Yeah, media player will be there but as you mentioned, in another room. I don't see use of media player and HTPC connected to same AVR/TV. :)

In that case how do you wanna play movies on media player using another external HDD?

Ok guys, my HTPC is assembled with:

1. Intel Processor G2010 (2.80 GHz)
2. Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard
3. 4GB DDR3 RAM Corsair
4. Sapphire HD 6450 1GB DDR3
5. 300 Mbps USB WiFi Adapter
6. Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

The following things were lying unused with me, so I have used them for the time being and I will replace them very soon:

7. 500GB WD 2.5" HDD (To be replaced by 64GB SSD in next 8-10 days)
8. A temporary cabinet & Power supply ((To be replaced by a good HTPC cabinet & PSU)
9. Logitech Cordless Keyboard Mouse (To be replaced with a Lenovo N5901 or Ultra Mini Black Wireless Keyboard handheld suggestion please)

Now, coming to software part, I installed XBMC 12.1 Frodo. Everything except Blu-ray rips with HD audio pays fine but if I play media with DTS-HD (did not try True-HD) it plays with -0.5 second pause after every 0.25 second and on the AVR, I don't see DTS-HD.

I installed Arcsoft TMT 6 (free 15 days trial) and everything plays fine including Blu-Ray Rip with DTS-HD-MA.

The same problem is there with my home desktop with (B75 Mobo + i3-3220 processor) AND (B75 Mobo + i3-3220 processor + HD6450 GPU). TMT6 plays everything fine even in this setup without even HD6450 (motherboard HDMI out).

What should I do now?

3. 4GB DDR3 RAM Corsair
6. Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

The following things were lying unused with me, so I have used them for the time being and I will replace them very soon:

8. A temporary cabinet & Power supply ((To be replaced by a good HTPC cabinet & PSU)
9. Logitech Cordless Keyboard Mouse (To be replaced with a Lenovo N5901 or Ultra Mini Black Wireless Keyboard handheld suggestion please)

Now, coming to software part, I installed XBMC 12.1 Frodo. Everything except Blu-ray rips with HD audio pays fine but if I play media with DTS-HD (did not try True-HD) it plays with -0.5 second pause after every 0.25 second and on the AVR, I don't see DTS-HD.

I installed Arcsoft TMT 6 (free 15 days trial) and everything plays fine including Blu-Ray Rip with DTS-HD-MA.

The same problem is there with my home desktop with (B75 Mobo + i3-3220 processor) AND (B75 Mobo + i3-3220 processor + HD6450 GPU). TMT6 plays everything fine even in this setup without even HD6450 (motherboard HDMI out).

What should I do now?

I suggest you install the MPC-HC (either with MadVR or without) and then see the superb playback with hardware acceleration for both HD audios. You will not get disappointed. Also you can edit the playercorefactory.xml from XBMC and make to play movies thru MPC as external player from XBMC itself. Look at this thread for configuration settings and also above all the MPC is a free player.

What should I do now?

@mg, congrats for the setup, a couple of points
1. Your wifi adapter may become a bottleneck to the setup when you will be streaming BD rips of even some big 720p rips over wifi if you even intend to. If not (which means you will use the USB drive connected directly to the HTPC) then you could have done away with cheaper USB dongles as well.
2. Your SSD will not add much value to this setup since it will only speed up the booting time to say 15 seconds which is now may be 40 secs. Apart from that no gain.
3. The stuttering problem with the video is due to the XBMC problem, damn even I do face it and was not there in the HD-Audio patched version 11 beta. Thereafter this bug came in. This happens only videos which have encoded multi channel audio like DD, DTS,DTD-HD, DD-HD, etc. I have found that this can be avoided by keeping the AVR on first and then turning on the HTPC so that windows assigns 5.1 / 7.1 speaker channels in the HDMI out (of your GPU) by detecting the AVR first. Sometimes 3 to 4 restarts might be required. Note sure if this is a problem with XBMC and ATI Raedon card only.

I suggest you install the MPC-HC (either with MadVR or without) and then see the superb playback with hardware acceleration for both HD audios. You will not get disappointed. Also you can edit the playercorefactory.xml from XBMC and make to play movies thru MPC as external player from XBMC itself. Look at this thread for configuration settings and also above all the MPC is a free player.

Thanks manniraj. I tried MPC-HC and MadVR but AVR was showing "Multi In". So, I searched for other solutions and found it. :)

@mg, congrats for the setup, a couple of points
1. Your wifi adapter may become a bottleneck to the setup when you will be streaming BD rips of even some big 720p rips over wifi if you even intend to. If not (which means you will use the USB drive connected directly to the HTPC) then you could have done away with cheaper USB dongles as well.
2. Your SSD will not add much value to this setup since it will only speed up the booting time to say 15 seconds which is now may be 40 secs. Apart from that no gain.
3. The stuttering problem...

Thanks haisaikat.

1. Wifi adapter was with me already so I used it for internet access only. All my media is in 4 Bay USB HDD Enclosure that will connected to my HTPC all the time. So, I don't streaming.

2. Thanks for delaying my purchase of SSD. :)

3. I solved shuttering problem with the help of this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129509

I can confirm with WASAPI HDMI selected in the Settings-->System->Audio i was able to get it working again .. i had the same issue.. the video was slow and no audio. Thanks!

Now, I have to prepare myself for even bigger task of managing my media library. I don't know how much time/efforts it will take to do it.

BTW, can I create a single library with 4 different HDDs ?

Hi guys.

Please suggest me a slim cabinet and PSU for my HTPC which can accommodate a Micro ATX motherboard (Gigabyte B75) and a low profile graphics card.

If it comes without PSU, then it should be able to accommodate any regular ATX PSU (like Corsair CX430V2) else it wll be difficult to find a compatible PSU.

I will prefer a horizontal one but will take a vertical one also if it is a good one like the one used in Dell Inspiron 620s.

I don't like CM 360/361, they are not slim either.

My budget is around 3-4k (just for the cabinet).

Thanks.

I think you can check out the Silverstone ML03 cabinet which is a horizontal slim HTPC cabinet. But finding it in India I think is difficult with no stocks. You can try Amazon as I believe one of the FM was able to order this cabinet from Amazon with total amount coming around 6k. Otherwise getting a decent slim cabinet is difficult.

I think you can check out the Silverstone ML03 cabinet which is a horizontal slim HTPC cabinet. But finding it in India I think is difficult with no stocks. You can try Amazon as I believe one of the FM was able to order this cabinet from Amazon with total amount coming around 6k. Otherwise getting a decent slim cabinet is difficult.

ML03 is coming @6.6k from Amazon. I think this is too costly specially when I know that this was being sold @4.0-4.5k sometime back.

Yeah, there is hardly any slim cabinet option in this range . Either they are very expensive or cheaper like iball/zebronics.

Yes getting the ML03 cabinet in India is a bit difficult. Why not check with Primeabgb.com as they are the dealers for Silverstone in India I think?

@mgdelhi

I saw in a local shop at Mumbai, PC Cabinet "LIL" from Circle, which was looking more or less like the dell pc case. I am not sure if it can be used as horizontal mount.

Please note the cabinet may not be as good as that of Dell/Silverstone/Coolermaster. It was priced around Rs.1000/-

Yes getting the ML03 cabinet in India is a bit difficult. Why not check with Primeabgb.com as they are the dealers for Silverstone in India I think?

Sent them an email. Lets see.

@mgdelhi

I saw in a local shop at Mumbai, PC Cabinet "LIL" from Circle, which was looking more or less like the dell pc case. I am not sure if it can be used as horizontal mount.

Please note the cabinet may not be as good as that of Dell/Silverstone/Coolermaster. It was priced around Rs.1000/-

Thanks. I don't mind a reasonably good cabinet if it comes for Rs.1000. But I am in Gurgaon/Delhi. BTW, can you Google the pic of the cabinet you saw?

Sent them an email. Lets see.

Thanks. I don't mind a reasonably good cabinet if it comes for Rs.1000. But I am in Gurgaon/Delhi. BTW, can you Google the pic of the cabinet you saw?

I tried googling before my first post. But no luck. I will try and contact the local dealer to find if circle cabinet fellows has any website

Last edited:
I saw a few cabinets and 2-3 slim models from zebronics but they come with zebronics slim PSU (Flex PSU???) and I was not comfortable with that.

So, I bought a Cooler Master Elite 361. I also got a 64GB Sata III 6.0 Gbps SSD Drive. My HTPC details so far:

3. 4GB DDR3 RAM Corsair
5. Adata 64GB SATA-III 6.0 Gbps SSD
6. Asus Blu-Ray Drive
7. Cooler Master Elite 361 Case
8. CM 350 Plus PSU (till the time I get a good PSU, CX430v2 out of stock everywhere)
9. 300 Mbps USB WiFi Adapter (just for internet access, no streaming as of now)
10. Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400
11. MCE Remote sensor (just for the sensor, will use Logitech Harmony)
12. 1 x 2TB HDD in the CM 361, 3 x 2TB HDDs in HDD Enclosure

13. Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
14. XBMC Ver 12.1
15. TMT 5.0

The good news is, everything plays perfectly.

But I am still learning to create a good library. Managing so much media itself is a big headache for a learner like me.

Most of my Bu Ray movies are in Blu Ray folders like BDMV, Certificate etc. I have not created ISOs.

How do I call TMT5 from within XBMC and play those movies? I have seen this thread but could not make it work.

Help please. :)

Ok check for a file called "playercorefactory.xml" and edit the same similar to the below which is my setup. I use MPC-HC which you can replace it with TMT and also the path where TMT is installed and you are good to go.

"<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MPC-HC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Media Player Classic - Home Cinema\mpc-hc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="mkv|MOV|mp4|hdmov|wmv|avi|m2ts|ts|m4v|bdmv" player="MPC-HC"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>"

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back