Need Help for Budget HT

irulz

Hi Friends,

This is by far the best audio forum! Kudos to all members who are so active!

I am looking for a budget HT, under 20k, to be used for movies(80%) and punjabi music(80%), for medium size room:

1. Onkyo HTS 3100 (USA) + Buy Active sub from India

- Can I add an active woofer to it if I can get avr and 5 speakers from USA?

2. Onkyo TXSR506 (or suggest some other yamaha/denon under $250)+ YAMAHA NS-P270 + add floor standers later on....

3. Onkyo TXSR506 + Jamo 406 + active subwoofer later i can add?

Please let me know if there is some other better option as I can get AVR from USA?

Thanks

Last edited:
Please let me know if there is some other better option as I can get AVR from USA?

Irulz,

If it??s AVR you are asking about, then in US, you could pick up the Denon 1909 well below $600 if you shop around. But if the total package is budgeted at 20k max then may be the Onkyo 606 will come under $300 and you can put together a package starting with a 9.5, 904i, BR5 etc for the fronts or just bookshelfs of the same range along with Q-Acoustics, CA or Norge and a decent sub like SW150 - of course all in step-by-step only, as and when your cash flow allows!

The other option would be to go for a good entry level HTIB from Onkyo.

Best Regards.

Irulz:

See if you can buy an AVR that can work on 220 volts. Many of these AVRs come with a switch at the back where you can set the voltage between 110 and 220.

If you are living in the NY area, go downtown and look for shops that are owned by Indians. They are the best bet. I am not sure but downtown SFO may also have shops that are owned by Indians.

If you go to supermarkets such as Walmart, Goodguys or Frys, they will not be able to help you. Unless you have the time to order for a 220 version and wait for delivery. I am not sure they will do that also.

There have been lots of discussions on this forum on step down transformers. These are available in abundance for small items such as computers, desk top PC speakers, mobile phones, etc. But when it comes to audio and video equipment, the general feeling is that you need to get special transformers made for you that can carry the load, and provide the frequency change also.

Both Onkyo and Jamo are represented in India, and you will be able to complete the system at our leisure here.

Cheers

Hey Irulz welcome to this forum and have a happy stay.
If you are going for the onkyo HT S3100,its a pretty good Budget HTIB and delivers good performance for the movies,but this HTIB comes with a passive sub and not active,if you can live with this for a while,then it should be fine.
Else You have to go through your other combination options.

Have Fun
Vj

I have Onkyo 3100 home theater, and I am pretty happy with it.
I got it from Reliance Digital in Ghaziabad for 19-20k (don't remember exact price) and got a sony dvd player free. Also got it installed for free by their guys.
Don't buy in the US if you are looking at lower priced items. You will get them in India for almost the same price.
If you are buying in the US - you should go for higher end, latest stuff.
My suggestion - go for 7100 HTIB from onkyo - it is the latest with 7.1 speakers (stands included), all new high definition digital formats decoded. Should cost you about $700-800

regards

Hi Friends,

Thanks for all your replies.
Actually I am asking my friend to get the avr for me from usa.

Getting complete system at a go onkyo 7100 or any other will be difficult as it will be very heavy (specially subwoofer in all good HTIB is huge and dont know if customs will allow that as extra baggage as well), so I thought of getting avr from US and speaker and sub from India.

I will also be getting an Samsung 32" LCD.

I think for a living room the floor standn will look good (looks also matters) so I am looking for floor standing speaker package with subwoofer (subwoofer can be added later on).
I am not an audiophile and also working away from my home So It will be occasionally used and tat too only by me for movies or partying with friends.

I dont want to spend too much on system so please guide me accordingly for a good speaker package under 20k.

Also please let me know if there is any cheap and compact subwoofer I can get from USA (even as separate checkin)? (Some sub with is beneficial to get from usa considering the huge price diff b/w India and Usa market i.e sub price + 100$ extra checkin >> Indian price)

Thanks

Irulz:

See if you can buy an AVR that can work on 220 volts. Many of these AVRs come with a switch at the back where you can set the voltage between 110 and 220.

If you are living in the NY area, go downtown and look for shops that are owned by Indians. They are the best bet. I am not sure but downtown SFO may also have shops that are owned by Indians.

If you go to supermarkets such as Walmart, Goodguys or Frys, they will not be able to help you. Unless you have the time to order for a 220 version and wait for delivery. I am not sure they will do that also.

There have been lots of discussions on this forum on step down transformers. These are available in abundance for small items such as computers, desk top PC speakers, mobile phones, etc. But when it comes to audio and video equipment, the general feeling is that you need to get special transformers made for you that can carry the load, and provide the frequency change also.

Both Onkyo and Jamo are represented in India, and you will be able to complete the system at our leisure here.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

Thanks for the info, I was not aware that in usa we get 230v supported avr as well. My friend is in Texas region and he will be ordering any avr i say online only so Is thr anyway of getting 230v supported avr online?

Thanks

Irulz,
If you have a specific budget(INR)for the speaker package in mind,do let us know.Any way you can try and audition budget packages from Jamo,Jbl.Both of em offer decent packages,particularly jamo offers nice floorstanders with a decent Sub to go into your Look factor,with good performance too.
Regarding the Size of the sub,it is kinda hard to find for these compact subs,Almost all of the subs which comes with the speaker packages are 10" minimum,obviously they would look like your mini fridge.
If am not wrong,there is one which i have seen in polk audio which was kinda looking compact,but i have no idea of the model and price.Do check out that one too.
But as suggested by other members,If u buy the reciever from the US,plz do not hesitate to get a good and latest one(not the very high end)but certainly high end for indian market.

Happy hunting:)
Vj

irulz said:
Also please let me know if there is any cheap and compact subwoofer I can get from USA (even as separate checkin)? (Some sub with is beneficial to get from usa considering the huge price diff b/w India and Usa market i.e sub price + 100$ extra checkin >> Indian price)

'Cheap' and 'Compact'? The least expensive sub woofer will be around 400 to 500 dollars. I a listing some of the better brands of sub woofers that are not available in India. I have also chosen sub woofers that are below 600$

1. Aperion Audio Bravu 8D - The Best Home Theater Speakers With Free Shipping - Aperion Audio
2. Hsu research VTF Mk1 - HSU Research
3. Chrysalis Starfire 10 - Chrysalis
4. Onix - www.av123.com
5. Outlaw Audio LFM-1 - Outlaw Audio (only 110 volts)
6. SVS (Plus or NSD Series) - SVSound - Home

irulz said:
Thanks for the info, I was not aware that in usa we get 230v supported avr as well. My friend is in Texas region and he will be ordering any avr i say online only so Is thr anyway of getting 230v supported avr online?

Most online sites that caater to the US market will not understand anything other than 110 volts. If you are looking for anything outside what is listed on their web sites, you have to call them and speak to them.

Cheers

'Cheap' and 'Compact'? The least expensive sub woofer will be around 400 to 500 dollars. I a listing some of the better brands of sub woofers that are not available in India. I have also chosen sub woofers that are below 600$

1. Aperion Audio Bravu 8D - The Best Home Theater Speakers With Free Shipping - Aperion Audio
2. Hsu research VTF Mk1 - HSU Research
3. Chrysalis Starfire 10 - Chrysalis
4. Onix - www.av123.com
5. Outlaw Audio LFM-1 - Outlaw Audio (only 110 volts)
6. SVS (Plus or NSD Series) - SVSound - Home

Most online sites that caater to the US market will not understand anything other than 110 volts. If you are looking for anything outside what is listed on their web sites, you have to call them and speak to them.

Cheers

Wao! Venkat.
Your knowledge about audio component is amazing!
I must admit that I and no one in my friends has ever heard about the brands you just listed. (And reviews of all these brands are top-notch)

However, I checked the websites and weight of all subs > 32lbs (max allow limit). So I will get a sub from India later on.

Right now I am planning to get a good avr onkyo 506 or 606 (as good service is avl for Onkyo in India) and get a floor spk from India under 20k and sub I will add later on.

Max allowed limit is 70lbs with an excess baggage charge.
See this:
Continental Airlines - Excess Baggage

It may still be cheaper than getting it shipping via post.

Your friend can find out by calling his airlines for excess baggage charges. He may checkin his luggage a day earlier than the flight, and from some place other than airport if possible. So that in case it is rejected by the airlines, there is an option of returning it rather than throwing it away on the airport.

regards

Back