Need help for making a dedicated HT Room

kamalthukral

Hello
HI i am trying to build a dedicated home theatre room on 2nd floor of my house the area for the room to be construted is 20*12 Ft . now i need your expertise to construct that room . my main concern is that no one (Neighbours as we have common walls)should be affected with the sound i play in my room. the following system i intend to use in my room
1. AVR Yamaha RX V 665
2. front Speakers Q acoustics 1050/Monitor Audio BR 5
3. Surround Q acoustics 1010/Monitor Audio Br 2
4 Centre Q acoustics/ Monitor Audio
5.Sub Woofer Q Acoustics/ MA/WH Sw 150
6.Projector (Not short listed yet)

Suggest me that how should i go for wiring in all the four walls and cieling.i want to go for a false cieling of POP . tell me what should the size of door should i leave . and should i go for window or not .and do i need to get the projector stand installed while roofing the room . and can i use my wall as the screen .
sir i"ll be highly oblieged with your inputs

It will help if you can go thru some of the threads in "AV Enhabcers and Room Acoustics" section and start discussing specific queries you have.

Welcome to Hifivision Kamal:).

Great to know you are building a dedicated Home Theatre Room. Like skumar has advised, go through this section, you'll find most of your answers. Even I am building my Home Theatre Currently and have learnt lots through the various threads here.

All the Best for your project!!

Last edited:
HI i am trying to build a dedicated home theatre room on 2nd floor of my house the area for the room to be construted is 20*12 Ft . now i need your expertise to construct that room . my main concern is that no one (Neighbours as we have common walls)should be affected with the sound i play in my room.

Everything boils down to how much you are ready to spend. If you want your neighbours not to hear anything you have to completely soundproof the room and you are looking at around Rs.500 a square feet for soundproofing material. Alternatively you can line the walls with simple plywood, locate the reflection points and mount sound absorbers there. For the corners use bass traps. If the room is not yet started, I would suggest you see if you can avoid putting 90 degree corners and curve the corners.

Suggest me that how should i go for wiring in all the four walls and cieling.i want to go for a false cieling of POP . tell me what should the size of door should i leave . and should i go for window or not .and do i need to get the projector stand installed while roofing the room . and can i use my wall as the screen . sir i"ll be highly oblieged with your inputs

Windows and doors are more in the domain of an interior decorator. A window will allow light to come in, and can be covered with heavy drapes for sound absorption. Also plan for a carpet between the front speakers and the sitting position.

Wiring again depends upon whether you are looking for 5.1 or 7.1. I would suggest you set up for 7.1 even if you use only 5.1 now. The additional two cables for rear speakers can be left unused till you buy two more speakers and connect them.

Work with your electrician to lay conduits through which you can carry the speaker cables. Ensure that these conduits are at least a feet or move away from conduits that carry electrical wires. If you are using a projector, use a 6 inch pipe as the HDMI cables are thick and the connectors are thicker. I have found people ripping their walls apart after they realised the conduits are too small for HDMI cables.

You can get the speaker layout from Dolby and other sites. Again, if you can afford it, get a professional sound engineer to plan you speaker placement and give you the wiring diagram.

The best way to mount a projector is from the ceiling. In terms of a screen, yes the wall can be made to act as a screen. Please visit http://www.hifivision.com/diy/5033-do-yourself-projection-screen-2.html for details. You can also get fixed screen from 2000 to a few lakhs.

As said by Kumar and Santhol, there are a number of threads that discuss HT room set up. Santhol has been posting photos of his room-in-progress. Srisha from Bangalore has also got a complete HT room ready.

Cheers

Venkat,

That was very useful, Although I've seen you've got to repeat it in many threads. Can we not request the mod to make this sticky in the construction thread?

If you are using a projector, use a 6 inch pipe as the HDMI cables are thick and the connectors are thicker. I have found people ripping their walls apart after they realised the conduits are too small for HDMI cables.

Venkat - you might have meant 1.5" or 2" pipes to accommodate the HDMI cables.

Venkat - you might have meant 1.5" or 2" pipes to accommodate the HDMI cables.

No, I meant 4 to 6 inches. Anything less than that, if you want to insert a HDMI cable that is already fused at the end to connectors will be difficult. Particularly if you want to send a more than one cable. Some installers send an HDMI cable, a composite and a component to the projector as a precautionary step in case one fails.

Cheers

Some installers send an HDMI cable, a composite and a component to the projector as a precautionary step in case one fails.

Cheers

This is very important. You do not know what fails or when you might have to connect legacy gear. Also if you should have spare space and false wires inserted, so that one can pull new wires whenever required. This is must if existing cables go bad or new interface is adopted.

Who knows HDMI might become legacy in 5 years. Unless you have false wires and extra space, you cannot use new wires. I have done this in my HT being made as the wire travels through walls, marble floor and wooden partitions.

Raghav

No, I meant 4 to 6 inches. Anything less than that, if you want to insert a HDMI cable that is already fused at the end to connectors will be difficult. Particularly if you want to send a more than one cable. Some installers send an HDMI cable, a composite and a component to the projector as a precautionary step in case one fails.

Venkat, with most internal walls being 5 to 6" thick nowadays, how do we accommodate the 4 to 6" pipe in the walls, and more so in the ceiling? Even if the walls are double bricked (9"), this might lead to structural issues. I am a bit lost here...:confused:

Venkat, with most internal walls being 5 to 6" thick nowadays, how do we accommodate the 4 to 6" pipe in the walls, and more so in the ceiling? Even if the walls are double bricked (9"), this might lead to structural issues. I am a bit lost here...:confused:

one way is to leave multiple pipes of smaller diameter instead of one big one. You could use one for HDMI, one for composite & component and one empty with false wire for any future needs.

Nowadays you also get flat conduits that will be a few inches thick but 6 inches broad. rectangular in shape.

In most cases the conduits for the overhead projectors is carried through false ceilings and some kind of interior work on the walls - maybe a cupboard or a shelf. In this case, the conduits need not be inside the wall.

If you have to take the conduits inside the wall, you have to find a way of accommodating enough space to take a HDMI connector without injury.

Cheers

@Kamal: Have a look at my thread and other threads in this section, you will get some ideas. I have made some mistakes too, so far I have been lucky to be able to correct them. I shall list them at the end of my build, so others can learn from my mistakes. I will also add actual costs incurred on materials. Labour is variable as it depends on your location etc.

Here is the link to my thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...ing-my-home-theatre-room-please-guide-me.html

Ensure that these conduits are at least a feet or move away from conduits that carry electrical wires.

In my Home Theatre build, all the conduits for electricals are routed downwards from the ceiling while the conduits for speaker cables are routed through the floor. Make sure you use thick conduit pipes, one reasons is strength and the other to avoid any interference.

one way is to leave multiple pipes of smaller diameter instead of one big one. You could use one for HDMI, one for composite & component and one empty with false wire for any future needs.
This is what I have done this in my build. I must confess that I have provided several conduits but of one inch only. But in my build, I have made all panels removable, so routing a thicker HDMI cable or any newer cable should not be a problem at all as long as it is not thicker than 4 inches:).

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back