Need help in buying 32 inch Full HD LED TV

I think you have got the correct advice in that full HD does not really make sense at 32 inch screen size. On your other observations regarding LED PQ, I will say that motion blur is not an issue with modern TVs, most have processors that increase refresh rates to reduce or eliminate motion blur. With decent picture settings, you can get a good picture quality on most TV sets. If you are so inclined, you may download a free calibration disc (actually, its .iso image) from AVS forum - and get a pretty good PQ. But in the end, you will have to leave the final decision on your eyes - even calibrated TV screens do not look good to everyone!

As I just suggested on another thread, you can consider two 32 inch TV models - LG 32LS3400 and Sony EX330.

Is there any noticable difference between the PQ of led backlit and ccfl backlit lcd panel. Ccfl backlits are less expensive and hence I can fit a bigger panel within my budget. Also what is the price of panny viera plasma 42ut50d? Is it a wise choice within a tight budget.
I am only looking for solid 2d PQ within 45k

Last edited:
Is there any noticable difference between the PQ of led backlit and ccfl backlit lcd panel. Ccfl backlits are less expensive and hence I can fit a bigger panel within my budget. Also what is the price of panny viera plasma 42ut50d? Is it a wise choice within a tight budget.
I am only looking for solid 2d PQ within 45k

42UT50 will be lot more than 45k, much closer to 65k, AFAIK about last prices. There may be discounts now because new 2013 TVs are in the lineup. Between LED and LCD at that price range, there will not be much difference too except that LED TVs will be brighter.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I think you have got the correct advice in that full HD does not really make sense at 32 inch screen size. On your other observations regarding LED PQ, I will say that motion blur is not an issue with modern TVs, most have processors that increase refresh rates to reduce or eliminate motion blur. With decent picture settings, you can get a good picture quality on most TV sets. If you are so inclined, you may download a free calibration disc (actually, its .iso image) from AVS forum - and get a pretty good PQ. But in the end, you will have to leave the final decision on your eyes - even calibrated TV screens do not look good to everyone!

As I just suggested on another thread, you can consider two 32 inch TV models - LG 32LS3400 and Sony EX330.

Just to add to the motion blur mitigation.
Motion blur is not mitigated by increasing refresh rates alone. Strong and efficient motion predictive algorithms are necessary. The is no standard for them. Each TV company has its own inhouse developed processing engines for them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,
I paid a visit recently to a nearby multibrand TV showroom containing LEDs from Sony, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Panasonic etc. and had the opportunity to compare every brand side by side against a single feed. I was looking only for 32 inch LED.

One shocking observation was that there were no perfect PQ in any LED. Samsung series 6 LED suffered the most in Motion Judder...The feed was FHD Discovery HD World and the Series 6 was not able to cope up with camera pan movement...strange.

Series 4 720p Samsung was surprisingly performing above average. LG, Panny and Toshiba performed at par and in line with the Series 4.

The eye catcher was the SONY HX750....super sharp and very less motion judder but is priced at 51,999 under offer which is a bit high for a 32 inch model.

One surprising observation was that the 720p's and the Panasonic LCD TVs delivered quite impressive PQ both in clarity and depth. Any reason for this..?

Are the 1080p's not good enough or have they not come of age?

What you observed conforms to the statements often made - at 32" and below, FHD/1080p does not make any difference. Even at 42", at a distance of 8' or more, you will be hard pressed to make out marked difference in PQ between 1366x768 vs. 1920x1080.

If you read this article: Why 4K TVs are stupid | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

... then it will tell you why you cannot distinguish between 720p vs. 1080p at distances of 8' on sizes less than 60" ...

What's interesting is that a 720p, 50-inch TV has pixels roughly 0.034 inch wide. As in, at a distance of 10 feet, even 720p TVs have pixels too small for your eye to see.

That's right, at 10 feet, your eye can't resolve the difference between otherwise identical 1080p and 720p televisions. Extrapolating this out, you'd have to get a TV at least 77 inches diagonal before you'd start having a pixel visibility problem with 1080p.

Or, you can move closer. Beyond being a math exercise, let's be realistic. No one's going to sit 6 feet from a big TV. I'd doubt 7 feet, either. So if we say 8 feet (96 inches), or 0.028 inch on the resolution side, this means you'd need a TV that's bigger than 60 inches to really benefit from 1080p.

Hi,
I paid a visit recently to a nearby multibrand TV showroom containing LEDs from Sony, Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Panasonic etc. and had the opportunity to compare every brand side by side against a single feed. I was looking only for 32 inch LED.

One shocking observation was that there were no perfect PQ in any LED. Samsung series 6 LED suffered the most in Motion Judder...The feed was FHD Discovery HD World and the Series 6 was not able to cope up with camera pan movement...strange.

Series 4 720p Samsung was surprisingly performing above average. LG, Panny and Toshiba performed at par and in line with the Series 4.

The eye catcher was the SONY HX750....super sharp and very less motion judder but is priced at 51,999 under offer which is a bit high for a 32 inch model.

One surprising observation was that the 720p's and the Panasonic LCD TVs delivered quite impressive PQ both in clarity and depth. Any reason for this..?

Are the 1080p's not good enough or have they not come of age?

I think discovery hd is not full hd 1080p, it is 1080i. 1080p consumes twice the bandwidth and satellite broadcasters anyware in the world I think wont send 1080p.
Yes. I used to observe the same motion sickness on my sammy led. But you also need to blame the settop box as it deinterlaces the 1080i and also is supposed to smoothen out by adding new frames. If it cannot do it then the tv should be able to do it.
Actually this is where plasma shines. The motion is smooth and in extreme cases, it makes it very less distracting.
I too watched sony 750 in action. The motion prediction and correction is very good.
I saw 750 by the side of an Lg which was adjacent to sony 850. A sony demo disk was being played. The sony logo in the middle of the screen slowly moves sideways. The smoothness of motion was best on 750 followed by 850 followed by LG.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

No channel in India is 1080p. In fact world over, there are very few 1080p channels. Some PPV (pay-per-view) and video-on-demand channels are 1080p. Actually there is very little difference between 1080i and 1080p and hence broadcasters do not think that there is any benefit to spend huge money on the double bandwidth that is required and demanded by full HD.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back