Need help in buying 32 inch Full HD LED TV

Hi Experts,

I was initially looking for a 26 inch Full HD LED TV for my room since I have got space concerns. I searched a lot and failed to get any 26 inch FHD available in India :sad:. So I decided to move up to 32 inch and not beyond that.

I read in some AV forums that the backlighting technology in LED determines the image quality. They are recommending Full Array Local Dimming. Is there any TV in India with this technogy. My personal experience with LED Tv is not satisfactory. I have noticed motion blurring with TVs of almost every brand. Moreover there is a annoying phenomenon I found ..the texts and logos in any frame is sharper compared to human faces. The color tones are also bizzare ( like face powder applied on skin).

I have seen Plasma Tvs rendering natural color tones and are not having motion blurs also. But a FHD version of 32 inch Plasma TV is not available in market I suppose. Is there any?

OLED Tvs are not available in market (32 inch).

Please suggest a 32 inch LED that addresses most of my concerns.

What is your viewing distance? A FHD makes sense only for close viewing and that too on 42" and above screens. You won't find much difference between FHD and HD displays. Also, go for the largest screen you can afford. No TV is large enough when it comes to watching HD content. I have 40" LED but I feel it is small. You can go for a 42" plasma.

What is your viewing distance? A FHD makes sense only for close viewing and that too on 42" and above screens. You won't find much difference between FHD and HD displays. Also, go for the largest screen you can afford. No TV is large enough when it comes to watching HD content. I have 40" LED but I feel it is small. You can go for a 42" plasma.

My maximum viewing distance is 7 ft. LED vs Plasma...which one is the best? OLED is my personal favourite...forget that now.

Hi @Swarna,

If we go by THX guide then for 7ft distance they recommend 50inch for a full immersive experience, however 40/42 is probably also ok.

Details are here: HDTV Set Up

Hi Experts,

I was initially looking for a 26 inch Full HD LED TV for my room since I have got space concerns. I searched a lot and failed to get any 26 inch FHD available in India :sad:. So I decided to move up to 32 inch and not beyond that.
As mentioned by baiju above, it is not worth going for full HD TV at 32" size. Unless you are sitting as close as 2', there will not be any discernable difference. Even LED is not required. LCD is good enough. Spend no more than 28K for 32".

I read in some AV forums that the backlighting technology in LED determines the image quality. They are recommending Full Array Local Dimming. Is there any TV in India with this technology. My personal experience with LED TV is not satisfactory. I have noticed motion blurring with TVs of almost every brand. Moreover there is a annoying phenomenon I found ..the texts and logos in any frame is sharper compared to human faces. The color tones are also bizarre ( like face powder applied on skin).
You have heard correctly. But full-array LED with local dimming is available in the most expensive TV such as Sony HX925. This is available in 65" size only (in India). So forget that. Even edge-lit LED with local dimming as in Sony HX850 (now to be discontinued) is available in 40"+ sizes only. As I repeat again, there is no point spending too much money in 32" size.

I have seen Plasma TVs rendering natural color tones and are not having motion blurs also. But a FHD version of 32 inch Plasma TV is not available in market I suppose. Is there any?
Yes. That is true. Plasma will render true/natural colours and will be free of motion judder. But plasma is available in 42" and above sizes only. If

OLED TVs are not available in market (32 inch).

Please suggest a 32 inch LED that addresses most of my concerns.
OLED is out of question right now. They do not exist in real commercial sense. Consider a 32" LCD (28K max) or 42" plasma (48K max).

My maximum viewing distance is 7 ft. LED vs Plasma...which one is the best? OLED is my personal favourite...forget that now.
At 7' distance, 42" is good, rather better than 32". Consider 42" unless there is a real space constraint. You will see very quickly that 32" is a size you will feel very small. 32" is no bigger than 29" 4:3 CRT when compared viewing area-wise. There is no such thing as which is the best between plasma and LED. Both have pros and cons. Read about them and decide. LED will be bright, vibrant, less prone to reflections, more or less immune to image sticking but will have too bright/unnatural/saturated colours, prone to image judder, soap opera effects (especially at lower ranges), and expensive. Plasma will be cheaper, everything opposite but prone to reflections issue, Image retention issue, heavy and more power hungry. LCD/LED is suitable for viewing Cable/DTH/Soaps in bright rooms whereas plasma is better for movies in darker rooms.

As mentioned by baiju above, it is not worth going for full HD TV at 32" size. Unless you are sitting as close as 2', there will not be any discernable difference. Even LED is not required. LCD is good enough. Spend no more than 28K for 32".

You have heard correctly. But full-array LED with local dimming is available in the most expensive TV such as Sony HX925. This is available in 65" size only (in India). So forget that. Even edge-lit LED with local dimming as in Sony HX850 (now to be discontinued) is available in 40"+ sizes only. As I repeat again, there is no point spending too much money in 32" size.

Yes. That is true. Plasma will render true/natural colours and will be free of motion judder. But plasma is available in 42" and above sizes only. If

OLED is out of question right now. They do not exist in real commercial sense. Consider a 32" LCD (28K max) or 42" plasma (48K max).

At 7' distance, 42" is good, rather better than 32". Consider 42" unless there is a real space constraint. You will see very quickly that 32" is a size you will feel very small. 32" is no bigger than 29" 4:3 CRT when compared viewing area-wise. There is no such thing as which is the best between plasma and LED. Both have pros and cons. Read about them and decide. LED will be bright, vibrant, less prone to reflections, more or less immune to image sticking but will have too bright/unnatural/saturated colours, prone to image judder, soap opera effects (especially at lower ranges), and expensive. Plasma will be cheaper, everything opposite but prone to reflections issue, Image retention issue, heavy and more power hungry. LCD/LED is suitable for viewing Cable/DTH/Soaps in bright rooms whereas plasma is better for movies in darker rooms.

Thanks experts for their views. I am a novice in this. Can you please tell me what is the 'Image Retention' effect in plasma and why it suffers from Reflection Issues?

Thanks experts for their views. I am a novice in this. Can you please tell me what is the 'Image Retention' effect in plasma and why it suffers from Reflection Issues?
To know about image retention in plasma, search the web to understand what it means. To prevent IR, read this thread: Prevent Image Retention and Burn-in.

Reflections issue: All plasma panels are covered by a sheet of glass. Basically the plasma panel is a thin gas layer between two sheets of glass. When switched on, the electrical charge converts the gas inside into plasma. The plasma produces light that charges the phosphor coating (something similar to a CRT). Because of the top glass and dark gray matter inside, the panel is highly reflective. The plasma produces its own light when the gas inside is charged and converted to plasma state. This light is not as strong as light produced by LCD CCFL or LCD LED. Most entry and mid-level LCDs are not covered by glass. Only the high end such as HX850 get a gorilla glass panel. LED TVs that have glass panel top also suffer from reflections but because the LED light is so strong, the reflections are not that disturbing or apparent. High end plasma TVs such as ST50 and above do have an anti-reflective surface that reduces the problem somewhat but does not completely eliminate it.

To watch plasma, the ambient light must be controlled. For instance, if there are windows, they should be covered with drapes; else the picture appears washed out. But LEDs because of their bright light produce less blacks than plasma. The black is not true inky black but dark shade of grey. This causes details in dark shadows of the image to be big blob of gray, i.e., shadow details are wiped out. High end LED TVs with local dimming compensate for this loss of shadow details and the very top-end/high-end of the TVs match the plasma black performance but do not exceed it. Only one LED TV, the Sharp Elite Pro, is known to exceed the black performance of most plasmas and more or less equal the performance of the legendary Pioneer Kuro (now not in production) but one has to pay an awesome US$ 5000-6000 for such a TV. So note that only the expensive LED TVs can somewhat match plasma performance. A 45-50K plasma will exceed a 70-80K LED very easily in pure video performance.

But all this is of little importance and just academic if you are going to watch soap opera, cable/DTH, Indian movies. This type of content is inherently bright and vivid in nature and does not require deep blacks produced by plasma. Only if you are going to watch Hollywood movies in HD, then deep inky blacks gain importance. I had liked HX850 as well as the ST50 and I chose the later because I watch original movies on BD/DVD a lot and ST50 was better in the respect of black levels, natural colours and overall picture quality.

Reflection is a very minor issue and can very easily be controlled. Just pull drapes across the windows and dim the lights and you are good to go. My final advice is stick to LCD/LED if your TV watching needs are not demanding.

Hi just4kix, I read your post and like them... I find many of the times you exceed the expectations of not being partial towards plasma... this post is amongst them...;)
I know you are a plasma lover and fyi I own LG passive 3d... I must admit that when I bought my 1st led in 2011.. And when I was researching on this tv subject with a mind set that I should stay away from plasma for those xyz reasons, I was stunned by th pq of one tv and I innocently asked which is this tv, it looked a class apart in terms of pq, than all other brands leds and salesman replied , it is a plasma...
no doubt that plasma pq is top notch, but like many, I choose to buy led.. having a wish in my heart some where to become a plasma owner some day...cheers..

Last edited:
Hi just4kix, I read your post and like them... I find many of the times you exceed the expectations of not being partial towards plasma... this post is amongst them...;)
I know you are a plasma lover and fyi I own LG passive 3d... I must admit that when I bought my 1st led in 2011.. And when I was researching on this tv subject with a mind set that I should stay away from plasma for those xyz reasons, I was stunned by th pq of one tv and I innocently asked which is this tv, it looked a class apart in terms of pq, than all other brands leds and salesman replied , it is a plasma...
no doubt that plasma pq is top notch, but like many, I choose to buy led.. having a wish in my heart some where to become a plasma owner some day...cheers..

Thank you for your kind words. I do try to be neutral even though, as you attributed, I am a plasma fan. I do believe that even if plasma has outstanding PQ, it is not a choice for everybody. It is like buying a Royal Enfield, instead of the usual Hero Hondas, Hondas, Yamahas, Bajajs, etc. The Enfield is not for every person. LED is the best choice when used for watching generic TV and soap opera while plans will be best for movies. You should not regret that you purchased an LED instead of plasma. If and when you decide to buy a separate TV exclusive for movie purposes then you could think of a plasma. Those who are anti plasma do not know the difference it makes till you actually see them perform at home.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I do try to be neutral even though, as you attributed, I am a plasma fan. I do believe that even if plasma has outstanding PQ, it is not a choice for everybody. It is like buying a Royal Enfield, instead of the usual Hero Hondas, Hondas, Yamahas, Bajajs, etc. The Enfield is not for every person. LED is the best choice when used for watching generic TV and soap opera while plans will be best for movies. You should not regret that you purchased an LED instead of plasma. If and when you decide to buy a separate TV exclusive for movie purposes then you could think of a plasma. Those who are anti plasma do not know the difference it makes till you actually see them perform at home.

Hi just4kix,

Do you know any Plasma 42 inch from Panasonic below 50K with good overall quality and connectivities?

Just like you..I am too a fan of plasma but I am scared that Panasonic may soon end its production and may be service & spares.

Also how are Sony HX750 series and Samsung Series 6 in terms of sheer picture quality.

Please feel free to list any other choice that I can go for within 50K.

Have been using LG32LS4600 a 32" full HD TV. Has amazing performance on movies being played via media player and definitely with Videocon HD. Sure with normat channels colour and resolution problem is there. But with HD channels resolution and colour details are amazing from a distance of 10 feets.

Hi just4kix,

Do you know any Plasma 42 inch from Panasonic below 50K with good overall quality and connectivities?

Just like you..I am too a fan of plasma but I am scared that Panasonic may soon end its production and may be service & spares.

Also how are Sony HX750 series and Samsung Series 6 in terms of sheer picture quality.

Please feel free to list any other choice that I can go for within 50K.

Under 50k, you can think of Samsung 43E490 as the best plasma available. Check out Panasonic 42XT50 also. There is a genuine concern for those who are fresh plasma prospectors when it comes to Panasonic. We have not heard anything directly from Panasonic and probably never will.but there are strong rumours that Panasonic may exit from the entire TV business and come back with OLED. Pioneer exited from the TV business long ago but their customers are not suffering, out at least I don't get to hear that. Then again, you may find that your TV purchased today may not be supported 4 years later because pastas and inventory has changed drastically since then.

But if this bothers you, better stick to Samsung and LG as they are the surest bets right now. Even Sony is facing drastic losses in the TV business.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back