Need help in setting up home theater!!

Guru:

I think there has been some misunderstanding here. I don't think any of us have anything against 7.1.As a matter of fact. I myself have a 7.1 configuration with an Onkyo 875 and Wharfedale speakers. I specifically purchased a THX certified AVR so that I could enjoy 7.1. It is different matter that I am not able to get good DVD Players with THX certification within reasonable pricing.

I misunderstood you initial post as to which speaker you have used for Rear Surround tasks.You have clarified that now.

I am looking forward to the day when I can enjoy the full capabilities of 7.1 with Blu-Ray, SACD and DVD-A.

Cheers
hi venkat ,which wharfadale spkrs are u using with the 875? and which is your sub?

Hi, Subhash,

You were supposed to audition the Wharfedale DFS for the surrounds, What's your opinion?:p

These DFS bipolar if hung on the rear wall can actually provide excellent seamless surround in the 5.1 setup also.:cool:

Whafedale in Mumbai had actually brought their speakers to my house so that I could audition them.;)

hi venkat ,which wharfadale spkrs are u using with the 875? and which is your sub?

I have a crazy combination as of now. I have Wharfedale 9.5 for fronts, Aperion Audio's 533 VAC for Center, Wharfedale 9 DFS for Surround, Aperion Audio's 532 LR's for Rear Surrounds. The sub I am using is the Hsu Research VTF-2.

I am in the process of removing the Aperion Audio's and replacing them with all Wharfedale's. Though the Aperion's are superb speakers, I am planning to use them elsewhere. I will be using the Wharfedale 9CM for center, and 9.1 for Rear Surround.

Cheers

hi all ,,coming bak to my sorround spkr selection ,today i chkd out the wharfadale QFS ,really cant comment on these as the place where i chkd them did not have the facility to chk them out as sorrounds so had to listen to them as L/R speakers connected to a nad amp!! also after coming bak home i felt my pandams as sorrounds did a equally good job,,,,,,of all the sorrounds i chkd the Jamo C80 sounded the best (of course at a heavy price)--- i used the tracks LISTEN UP by omar khasim,and the clipping from flight plan ,,both DTS on the demo disc on all the sorrounds at the same vol and same DB setting ,,i found the C80 superior ,,,,,,,,, has anybody chkd out the sondyne sorrounds priced at abt10k??

I have a crazy combination as of now. I have Wharfedale 9.5 for fronts, Aperion Audio's 533 VAC for Center, Wharfedale 9 DFS for Surround, Aperion Audio's 532 LR's for Rear Surrounds. The sub I am using is the Hsu Research VTF-2.

I am in the process of removing the Aperion Audio's and replacing them with all Wharfedale's. Though the Aperion's are superb speakers, I am planning to use them elsewhere. I will be using the Wharfedale 9CM for center, and 9.1 for Rear Surround.

Cheers

hi venkat,is the 9.5 doing a good job with the 875? i happened to hear them today when i went to chk out the DFS sourrounds

Last edited:
hi has anyone heard the EMERALD PHYSICS open baffle speakers?? well i got a chance to listen to them at ARN systems at blr sometime bak, man they sounded awesome -priced at abt 1.7 they were jst too good ,,,,any comments from anyone !!!

hi venkat,is the 9.5 doing a good job with the 875?

I would have preferred a 9.6 for the capacity to handle higher power, but I could not afford it when I purchased the 9.5s. I did extensive auditioning of the 9.5s before buying them, and I must say they are performing very well indeed.

Cheers

Dear Subhash,
I had mentioned in my earlier post(post #22) that if Pandams are sounding ok then you will really not be able to appreciate an upgrade.:D

I had auditioned the Sonodyne sometime back at Atria Mall in Worli, mumbai and had found their speakers too bright.... and I believe if I have to listen to them for 2hour continously,, I really would not be comfortable. :rolleyes:

Maybe, its the speakers or their audition room which has interestingly a lot of glass walls.....I told them about it.:confused:

I must say that Venkatcr is upgrading very intelligently.... and probably I will follow

I would have preferred a 9.6 for the capacity to handle higher power, but I could not afford it when I purchased the 9.5s. I did extensive auditioning of the 9.5s before buying them, and I must say they are performing very well indeed.

Cheers

hi venkat i listened to the 9.6s too ,it was hooked to a nad stereo amp ,,,i found the lows very loose i told the guy abt it ,he told me tht the amp was under powered any way u shd give the JAMO C809s a listen at cinebels and giv me your feed bak of course its heavy on price (abt 1.4) ,,,also your opinion on 875 for music on stereo/pure/direct modes??

Dear Subhash,
I had mentioned in my earlier post(post #22) that if Pandams are sounding ok then you will really not be able to appreciate an upgrade.:D

I had auditioned the Sonodyne sometime back at Atria Mall in Worli, mumbai and had found their speakers too bright.... and I believe if I have to listen to them for 2hour continously,, I really would not be comfortable. :rolleyes:

Maybe, its the speakers or their audition room which has interestingly a lot of glass walls.....I told them about it.:confused:

I must say that Venkatcr is upgrading very intelligently.... and probably I will follow

hi guru did u audition thier (sonodynes) sorrounds,i have seen them ,they looked very good with a silver top and wood finished body? at 10k i thot they were good ,but i hav not heard them

hi guru did u audition thier (sonodynes) sorrounds,i have seen them ,they looked very good with a silver top and wood finished body? at 10k i thot they were good ,but i hav not heard them

Ya subhash, I did audition the Sonodyne -aluminium ones as well as the wodden ones. The wodden ones sounded better.:)
Looks wise the Aluminium ones are good.:p

But as I mentioned earlier, they sounded too harsh and bright....Its probably their audition rooms which is surrounded by glass walls.;)
I am not too sure.... whether to recommend or not

Satya,

So Denon 2309 or 2809 settled. 7.1 speaker setup....Go for it.

I have my home theatre with Denon 3805, Pioneer DVD player, Wharfedale bookshelves (Left centre and right), Wharfedale SW150 sub, B&W in-wall speakers for surround left and right (roof mounted) and wharefedale DFS surrounds for surround-back speaker setup. My screen is 100" width (16:9format) fixed screen. I use an LG - XGA projector. My room size is 12X15. I have seating which has L-shaped on one corner, and on the other side I have kept Thick threefold up matteresses. The room has wodden flooring and carpets. I have very heavy drapes on the windows and one of the side walls is treated for resonance by floating POP sheets. The roof has also been treated with wooden beams and wooden surface which is floating on a heatlon surface.

Go for the biggest screen possible....I will go for the 108" width screen with 16:9 ratio format. Believe me you will not be disappointed . Check with the projector specs in order to get the 108" screen for the distance the projector to be installed. Are you planning a fixed screen or drop down?

Do audition the inwalls of B&W and Jamo... they are good, little on the expensive side.
Enjoy..........:cool:

Hi,
Guru: Sounds like a great set up from the little knowledge I have :) Would love to see some pics. I am planning on harwood for the flooring and have a POP celing but am not sure what else needs to be done for good accoustics. Hoping that the vendor will help me plan it better.

I spend the weekend visiting different vendors and auditioning different systems and indeed it is getting to be further confusing :(

Here is what I have finalized so far

- Denon 2809 AV Receiver
- A fixed screen of size 9' x 5'
- Either Infocus x9 or Optoma HD 70 again based on the vendor I choose and what they carry.

This is where my fundamental problem is arising. I want the vendor to do all the wiring for me and also help me with suggestions for the interiors and so I prefer to purchase all the equipment from one single source.

I found the ProFX/USK electronics person the most reasonably priced and with great attitude. But he only carries Polk Audio and KEF in the range I am looking for.

I would like to get the Wharfedale 9.6 Diamond speakers based on some great feedback from this forum but i know only of Vector at Nagarjuna Hills and he is certainly a lot more expensive. (atleast 10%) which is quite a high amount as the total purchase value comes to around 3.5 to 4 lakhs.

Can any of you help in this decision making ?

These are the speaker choices.

ProFX - Option 1 - (1,16,000)
- ----------------
Polk audio RTi A7
Polk Audio CSI A4 centre
Polk Audio FXi A4 Surrrounds
Polk Audio PRO DSW 600

ProFX - Option 2 - (1,77,000)
----------------
KEF (UK) IQ 9 tower speaker
KEF iQ 6C Centre
KEF 8ds Surrounds
Polk Audio PRO DSW 600

Vector - Option 1 - (1,22,000)
-----------------
Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Front Towers
Diamond 9.CM Center Speaker
Diamond DFS Surround Speakers
Diamond 9.DFS Back Surrounds
SW- 250 subwoofer

moserw - I know u suggested oppo 983 to me. ProFX suggested Denon 1740 DVD Player. How does this compare??

If the Polk Audio OR KEF IQ9's are good choices for movies, I would like to go with ProFX. If the wharfedales are clearly recommended as a better choice for the same money as the Polk Audio, i will go with Vector and will try to negotiate as much as I can..

Thanks!
Satya

Hi,
Guru: Sounds like a great set up from the little knowledge I have :) Would love to see some pics. I am planning on harwood for the flooring and have a POP celing but am not sure what else needs to be done for good accoustics. Hoping that the vendor will help me plan it better.

Will try to upload some pictures.:eek:
Hard wood flooring is good... You can also have some carpetting done for the floor.
Let me know what your vendor is planning for the room, since this would really play a very important part in whole experience. Remember, 95% of rooms requires some kind of treatment for sound resonance.:p

- Denon 2809 AV Receiver
- Either Infocus x9 or Optoma HD 70 again based on the vendor I choose and what they carry.

This is where my fundamental problem is arising. I want the vendor to do all the wiring for me and also help me with suggestions for the interiors and so I prefer to purchase all the equipment from one single source.

Make sure that the sceen is with the exact ratio 16:9 i.e. 1.777778 so a 9' width screen will be 108" : 60.75" , otherwise the 16:9 format images will fall out of the screen. Have the screen made with atleast 4~6 " black border. This border will enhance the picture.;)

I found the ProFX/USK electronics person the most reasonably priced and with great attitude. But he only carries Polk Audio and KEF in the range I am looking for.

I also have a Denon AVR 3805 , but I am sorry to say that PROfx service here inMumbai is nothing to write about.:mad: They do not have parts and are understaffed. My AVR had a very little problem (it were into standby mode) and I understand from them that a small transistor is required and soebody on the foum told that its a few hours work. The AVR is now lying at their workshop for the last 10days awaiting the transistor.:( I also feel their service charges are exorbitant (he quoted me Rs 5000+parts). :mad:

Of course, the sales guys are always very sweet. Do check on these issues with them since I still feel Denon is a good brand.:confused:

I would like to get the Wharfedale 9.6 Diamond speakers based on some great feedback from this forum but i know only of Vector at Nagarjuna Hills and he is certainly a lot more expensive. (atleast 10%) which is quite a high amount as the total purchase value comes to around 3.5 to 4 lakhs.

I dont know much about vector. But if you wish you could check up with the main supplier of Wharfedale in Mumbai ( Phone : 022-23512836 contact Honey).:p
For me, Wharfedales for me is a clear choice. (Value for money). I feel Denon and wharfedales perform very well together

Do also check up with B&W and Jamo since they do installations as well and they are good.:cool:

- ----------------
Polk audio RTi A7
Polk Audio CSI A4 centre
Polk Audio PRO DSW 600

----------------
KEF iQ 6C Centre
KEF 8ds Surrounds
Polk Audio PRO DSW 600

-----------------
SW- 250 subwoofer

KEF is pretty good, but expensive. I would go with Wharfedale. Very good output and great in terms of VFM too.

moserw - I know u suggested oppo 983 to me. ProFX suggested Denon 1740 DVD Player. How does this compare??

Oppo 983 is way ahead of the pack. It upscales the best yet that I have seen and even its function as a CDP is better than many that I have come across. Basically at 400 USD it beats many standalone and higher priced DVDP and also many standalone CDP too.

If the Polk Audio OR KEF IQ9's are good choices for movies, I would like to go with ProFX. If the wharfedales are clearly recommended as a better choice for the same money as the Polk Audio, i will go with Vector and will try to negotiate as much as I can..

Thanks!
Satya

KEF is good. Not much experience with Polk so I cannot say. Wharfedale is the best for me. Very good in terms of VFM and they perform great in a stereo setup for music and equally good in a 5.1/home theater setup.

Hi,

I spend the weekend visiting different vendors and auditioning different systems and indeed it is getting to be further confusing :(

- Denon 2809 AV Receiver

- ----------------
Polk audio RTi A7
Polk Audio CSI A4 centre
Polk Audio PRO DSW 600

----------------
KEF iQ 6C Centre
KEF 8ds Surrounds
Polk Audio PRO DSW 600

-----------------
SW- 250 subwoofer

Thanks!
Satya
hi jst letting u know ,the optoma HD70 is the older model(its 720p) the newer models are the HD65(720p/1080pcompatible),HD75 similar to HD65 and HD80(1080p) the 65,70 &75 are priced at abt65-70k were as the HD80 is 1.4

Subhash,
Thanks for the advise.. I went on the net to check out the reviews. I dont know how much the Optomo HD 80 is available in India. It seems to be a good projector.:)

Satya,
Please do note the following quote from the review I went thru on HD 80:

As noted above there is a limited 1.2x zoom lens and no physical lens shift. This means that extra care must be taken in planning the installation. There is relatively little leeway for the placement of the projector to fill any given screen size. The projector has a comparatively long throw distance for any given screen size. To fill a 100" diagonal screen the projector must be set back to a distance of at least 13.5 and not more than 16 feet. The good news is that this means the projector will usually be behind and away from the viewing audience. Also, the longer throw distance provides for a narrower cone of projected light and a more even illumination of the screen than does a very short throw. The downside is that it will be a bit more difficult to fit into smaller viewing rooms while still having a large image, should that be desired.

Unquote
:p
Please do check with the projector's throw distance table whether the screen decided by you will be possible or not. Alternatively, you might have to look for a different projector/ or the screen.
You must check this aspect before finalising the screen and the projector...:)

Is there a particular reason you are bent on a projector rather than a plasma or lcd? If so what is swaying your decision? Reason I ask is that a project is hard to setup but will offer a lot of flexibility in resolution and size.

-----------------
SW- 250 subwoofer

Seems like the WF pricing you have quoted to be very high when compared with the pricing i got in Bangalore a month ago. For the same config, I was given a quote of 84,000.

If you would like, I can recheck and let you know the exact price.

-----------------
SW- 250 subwoofer

Seems like the WF pricing you have quoted to be very high when compared with the pricing i got in Bangalore a month ago. For the same config, I was given a quote of 84,000.

If you would like, I can recheck and let you know the exact price.

I fully agree with Srisha......that's why I gave you the phone number of Wharfedale supplier in Mumbai.
GuruD

Is there a particular reason you are bent on a projector rather than a plasma or lcd? If so what is swaying your decision? Reason I ask is that a project is hard to setup but will offer a lot of flexibility in resolution and size.

hi ,this (projector/lcd/plasma) depends on the purpose,if mainly used for viewing movis on dvd(upscaled to 720p/1080p) and on bluray ,and if u have a dedicated room then definetly a projector will outdo the plasma /lcd displays anyday ,u cud get a high quality picture of 120''+ for a budget of 65 to 1.5. whereas affordable lcd/plasma displays max out at 37'' to 42'' but if your purpose is for tv viewing then definetly a plasma/lcd wud do or even an old CRT wud serve the purpose,,,,the pain taken to select and install a projector is worth it ,,,,but the best option is to have both:)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back